XB 360 TV

uB3rn00b3r

Limp Gawd
With the new consoles coming out I have decided that I am going to purchase a hdtv to take advantage of them. I was wondering what you guys that know your tvs would reccomend? Id perfer one with the most bang for my buck under a grand.

Thanks

hdtv under a grand?

good luck with that

just remember you get what you pay for

click here

lots of info there

great resource for anyone buying a new tv

You could do what I did and buy a 2405fpw, the couple of 720p games I've played on it via Xbox look awesome, I can't wait to try out next gen consoles on this monitor. It's great if you don't have a lot of space or money to spend on separate displays, I've since abandoned my 27" tv in favor of the 2405fpw for DVD's as most wider aspect movies are only slightly smaller and 16:9 aspect enhanced movies are actually larger than what the 27" displays..

I don't know what bender's expectations are for HDTV's unless he thinks everyone can afford having a 52" LCD but there are a lot of different options under $1000.

Just something small that will play the games at 1080i. Sorta like the dish hdtv in a box that was aroun 800 dollars.

You've got a few different options, but things will shake up quite a bit with the switch to digital tuners this summer (I forget the exact date, but by the end of the summer it will be illegal to sell a TV with an NTSC tuner, it'll have to be ATSC; this is a very rough description, I'm probably a little off on this.). But currently, here are your main options. These prices are from major retailers, you could probably do better if you look around for coupons, etc.

Samsung 26" Widescreen CRT - $649
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...sem/rpsm/oid/120393/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Samsung 32" 4:3 CRT - $699
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...sem/rpsm/oid/120405/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Samsung 30" Slim Fit Widescreen CRT (Only 16" deep!) - $999
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...sem/rpsm/oid/120404/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Those are just general guidelines...basically, if you want 1080i, you'll have to go with a standard CRT to get under $1000, unless you want to go with the Dell 2405 as was mentioned before. All the other LCD TVs you see under $1000 will be only 720p (if that). I just put the Samsung brand for reference, you could find Sony, Philips, or Toshiba HDTV CRTs for under $1000, too.

Hope this helps.

Samsung 32" 4:3 CRT - $69

is the only one I that says it does 1080i that i can see. Im sure the others can I just must not be looking in the right place.

How much better picture quality does the Dell 2405 have? I am going to be building a new box for my senior project to the Dell 2405 may be an option as well.

Don't worry too much about 1080i. 720p will usually look better, and it's not a guarantee that every developer will support 1080i in the first place: Microsoft is only requiring 720p.

IMO, stick with 720p. You'll be fine until 1080p gains some traction, which will be a few years.

uB3rn00b3r, that's a good point on the 1080i, I'm pretty sure all three of those TVs are 1080i, maybe check the Samsung site? I can't remember where I saw that.

Also, Terpfen, I remember reading something on Engadget a couple months back about how 1080p probably wouldn't ever be broadcast (Not ever...just in the forseeable future), just because it would take another overhaul of the distribution equipment. I'd link you if I could find it...it was one of those guest columnist features. Basically, it said networks like to record in 1080p, but then just down-res it to 1080i or 720p due to bandwidth, etc.

That being said, you're right about him not really NEEDING to have 1080i right now. If that's the case, you could look at a Syntax Olevia 26" or 30" LCD TVs (Both capable of 720p, under $1000). If you're not concerned about having an internal tuner (i.e., if you can just plug it into your cable box), and you want to use the display on a PC as well, the Dell 2405 DEFINITELY offers the most bang for your buck. A 1080p LCD for ~$850? That's the best deal in town...the only issue is the lack of HDMI, for copy protection on digital broadcasts.

uB3rn00b3r said:
Samsung 32" 4:3 CRT - $69

is the only one I that says it does 1080i that i can see. Im sure the others can I just must not be looking in the right place.

How much better picture quality does the Dell 2405 have? I am going to be building a new box for my senior project to the Dell 2405 may be an option as well.

I've seen this TV in person and wasn't too impressed, Widescreen is really what he should be looking at IMO. 16:9 on a 24" LCD isn't exactly tiny or anything, in fact I think it's the same size or bigger than my 27" tv but haven't measured. Also those things are hell to try and move around, I had surgery not to long ago and had to have 2 people move 27" piece of crap I own out for me. I'd much rather have something small and sleek I can carry around myself.

Reagan said:
...the only issue is the lack of HDMI, for copy protection on digital broadcasts.

I dont have any HDTV feed at my place as I don't watch alot of TV but doesn't it work through component and just not with DVI?

peacetilence said:
Widescreen is really what he should be looking at IMO. 16:9 on a 24" LCD isn't exactly tiny or anything, in fact I think it's the same size or bigger than my 27" tv but haven't measured.

I agree, widescreen is the way to go. A 27" 4:3 would display a widescreen image of approximately 25", according to CNET. A 32" 4:3 set would show a 29" widescreen image.

peacetilence said:
I dont have any HDTV feed at my place as I don't watch alot of TV but doesn't it work through component and just not with DVI?

There are some DRMs (Macrovision, I think?) that won't play on the 2405, because it has to be played through an HDMI or DVI-HDCP connection, but you're right, he would be running the xbox 360 through the component inputs, must likely.

Reagan said:
Also, Terpfen, I remember reading something on Engadget a couple months back about how 1080p probably wouldn't ever be broadcast (Not ever...just in the forseeable future), just because it would take another overhaul of the distribution equipment. I'd link you if I could find it...it was one of those guest columnist features. Basically, it said networks like to record in 1080p, but then just down-res it to 1080i or 720p due to bandwidth, etc.

Well, I was talking in the context of gaming, but progressive scan will always look better than an interlaced image, no matter if we're talking about TV shows or games. That said, I can see some games supporting 1080p (if the consoles themselves allow it), which is why I mentioned it as the ideal.

I really would like to see 1080p pick up support, however. Most TV outlets still haven't upgraded to HD equipment, so they might as well get the stuff that supports 1080p, then they can just downscale to 720p.

The more I think about my issue the more I think I will end up going with the Dell 2405. At this point and time or the forseable future I will not have HDTV signal at my house so the monitor or TV would be only used for games, movies, and computers.

Probably a dumb question but how would I go about hooking this monitor to my xbox, is it just like a regular composite cables only with the HD cables or do I need something special?

uB3rn00b3r said:
Probably a dumb question but how would I go about hooking this monitor to my xbox, is it just like a regular composite cables only with the HD cables or do I need something special?

Current xbox: There's a High Definition AV Pack, which is like 20 bucks, that has component inputs. (There are component inputs on the side of the 2405.)

xbox 360: I don't think anyone really knows the exact specifics on connections right now. Safe to say, if you have DVI and component, you should be okay. Component Inputs are to HDMI and DVI the way S-Video used to be to component. Bad analogy, I mean that I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing component inputs on the front of TVs, etc.

Nevermind, I misunderstood what you were saying. I was trying to say that with the options of DVI and Component on his 2405, he'd probably be able to connect to the xbox 360 right out of the box. Does that make sense?

I am about to order the 2405. When playing games on this monitor, 1080p=1900-1200 correct? Would the other resoultions that equal 1080i 720p look worse since 1900-1200 is the screens native resolution?

uB3rn00b3r said:
I am about to order the 2405. When playing games on this monitor, 1080p=1900-1200 correct? Would the other resoultions that equal 1080i 720p look worse since 1900-1200 is the screens native resolution?

1920x1200 @ 60hz is 1080p. 1920x1200 @ 30hz is 1080i. The difference between progressive scan and interlaced is that with progressive scan, you're seeing the entire image every time it's refreshed on the screen. With interlaced images, you're only seeing every other line on the screen. It makes for lesser image quality even though you're at a higher resolution.

You can just run 720p games in a window, or if you really don't mind 1080i, you can run that at native resolution and be done with it.

Terpfen said:
1920x1200 @ 60hz is 1080p. 1920x1200 @ 30hz is 1080i. The difference between progressive scan and interlaced is that with progressive scan, you're seeing the entire image every time it's refreshed on the screen. With interlaced images, you're only seeing every other line on the screen. It makes for lesser image quality even though you're at a higher resolution.

Are you sure 1920x1200 is 1080p? I have a Sony GDM-FW900 that displays at 1920x1200, and when i watch 1080p content, it doesn't fit the screen perfectly (unless i have it stretched). However, there's a 1920x1080 resolution that does.

If I am under the right impression, I think it has to be on 60hz refresh rate as well as 1900/1200 to be 1080p.

moralpanic said:
Are you sure 1920x1200 is 1080p? I have a Sony GDM-FW900 that displays at 1920x1200, and when i watch 1080p content, it doesn't fit the screen perfectly (unless i have it stretched). However, there's a 1920x1080 resolution that does.

Yeah, 1920x1080. Sorry, I typoed the resolution in my post. Besides that typo, my post still stands.

Clarify/simplify
2405 = 1920x1200 (WUXGA)

PCs use 16:10, theatres/movie widescreen = 16:9, "fullscreen" is 4:3.

1080i = 1920x1080 @ 30hz
1080p = 1920x1080 @ 60hz
720p = 1280x720 @ 60hz

1080(x) on a 2405 will cause you to lose 120 lines OR cause it to stretch by that amount. Full width will be shown.

Back