X9dai bios battery died and now freezes on booting or reinstall windows 10

Kirika

Gawd
I replaced my bios battery since it died and now my x9dai system freezes on booting or if I try to install Windows 10 from dvd or usb it freezes at the select a language. Windows 10 was working before the bios battery died I had upgraded from Windows 7.

Anyone have a x9dai know the bios settings to get Windows 10 to work? I remember having to change some bios settings to get Windows 7 Ultimate to install back in 2014 when I built the PC but don't remember what and moved so lost my folder with the paper that I wrote everything down in. Been looking at few windows forums and tried acpi off and turning off usb and using a ps2 keyboard still freezes on boot right at the log in screen or if trying to install freezes at the select language.

Boots fine into dos or linux.

Had this 5 years if can't fix it thinking it might be time to replace the system with a gen 3 threadripper or epyc or something faster with more cores.

Yes I have cleared the cmos and set the bios defaults after replacing the battery.

Ahh, the ole Supermicro suicide batteries. Whenever the CMOS battery gets low enough, the data stored goes corrupt and the board starts acting weird.

The only way I've been able to fix this is remove the battery and power for several hours, put the battery back in and go into the BIOS and reset the configurations to factory defaults, reboot and go back in the BIOS and set the configuration options to what they need to be set to.

Thank you. I removed the cmos battery and will leave it out for awhile and see if that helps.

Put cmos battery in and went to bios and put optimized defaults and it still hangs at login screen when try to boot win 10 and the select language screen when try to reinstall :(

Can you tell if the system actually freezes or if the inputs themselves are not responding?

I tried a ps2 keyboard to take usb out of the equation and system still freezes. Win 10 freezes at the spinning cricle sometimes before the log in screen so do not think it is inputs.

How old is your WIn 10 image? Maybe grab a new one and try again.

I downloaded it Win 10 from MSDN along with Server 2016 and Server 2019. They all freeze on install. Using dvd media. Oddly Ubuntu boot cd and OSX boot just fine and I been doing work in Adobe and Final Cut just fine. I just can't use Maya or play games. Going to build a threadripper 3 and replace this one I guess.

I downloaded it Win 10 from MSDN along with Server 2016 and Server 2019. They all freeze on install. Using dvd media. Oddly Ubuntu boot cd and OSX boot just fine and I been doing work in Adobe and Final Cut just fine. I just can't use Maya or play games. Going to build a threadripper 3 and replace this one I guess.

The only things I could suggest trying now is to update the BIOS to the latest revision, try a different PSU and do a memtest (www.memtest.org) for at least 8 hours. Be sure to press F2 when memtest loads (it will prompt you) to run in SMT mode and make the testing go a whole lot faster.

If that doesn't solve the issue, something funky is going on with that board.

Sounds like maybe the sata controller mode? Ive got some X9 machines here , X9DRG
Advanced Tab \ Sata Configuration \ check the Sata mode + the sata raid option ROM/UEFI driver
Advanced tab \ SCU Configuration \ check these options
Advanced Tab \ PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration \ check the launch storage oprom policy

Maybe it's the AHCI setting for the SATA drive. I know it can cause a blue screen in Windows 7 on boot up, just not sure if it blue screens with Windows 10 or if it affects 10 like it did on 7.

Maybe it's the AHCI setting for the SATA drive. I know it can cause a blue screen in Windows 7 on boot up, just not sure if it blue screens with Windows 10 or if it affects 10 like it did on 7.
or maybe uefi vs legacy?! i dont know what op's board has...

Thank you for the replies. I did run memtest over night and it was stable. Machine has been running OSX and will boot into Linuxs just fine as well. It won't boot into Win10 or install new Win10/Server 2016/Server 2019. Tried with UEFI and Legacy options turning off AHCPI and get freezes starting Windows 10 or trying to install to a single drive. Supermicro hasn't been to helpful saying Win10/Server 2016 is not supported. and board is end of life. I will probably build a threadripper 3 rig.

Back