X99 is coming. Which board, MFR!?

I think I will go with EVGA. Either the FTW or Classified, not sure yet. For me, it has features I just can't live without. Namely the LCD debug numbers. I don't know how many times that has saved me a headache of trying to figure out what's wrong. And the multiple BIOS fail-safe seems like a great feature and could potentially save the machine from death. Not sure how much I would use the PCI-E kill-switches let alone the voltage meters, but it's great to know they are there.

Just be careful, the evga X79 was a steaming pile of shit, board was ok, bios sucked donkey balls though, you might want to have a look at other companies offerings as well.

Just be careful, the evga X79 was a steaming pile of shit, board was ok, bios sucked donkey balls though, you might want to have a look at other companies offerings as well.

I see no reason to buy an EVGA boards while there is asus selling the deluxe at 350$.

This has been the case since the X58 Classified. They lost their good MB engineers to other companies.
I see no reason to buy an EVGA boards while there is asus selling the deluxe at 350$.

Id be weary of Asus to. While they have good boards, they also effectively have NO warranty either.

Well I had the evga dark which was at their own admission an attempt at redemption for their motherboard division. I absolutely loved the board and the bios too. It's also very reassuring to have a 24hr support line open to you where you can speak to a knowledgeable American about an issue

This has been the case since the X58 Classified. They lost their good MB engineers to other companies.

Id be weary of Asus to. While they have good boards, they also effectively have NO warranty either.

I gotta step on here. We know you used to work for Asus. But we know you don't anymore, too. Dunno how long it's been but I can say when I recently had my open box Essence STX soundcard die and posted about it, you said the same thing. That there was no warranty, but Asus quickly replaced that card with a brand new retail boxed STX. I was surprised because of all the bad press they get around here. I've even had words with Raja and I still buy ASUS because, from where I sit, they do stand behind their products. MSI and Asus at least have reps here available should the need arrise. Furthermore I can say that ASUS does have a cross-ship advanced RMA system setup for their motherboards and GPUs, which is really pretty professional.

I myself have had a great experience with ASUS. They replaced my VG278HE with a brand new unit when I attempted to RMA it.

Towards the topic, I am looking towards the ASUS deluxe. I have always been a Gigabyte board guy, but I may go back to Asus after 5 long years.

i was just looking at that ga gaming g1 as my next potential mobo this morning, but what is up with memory standard on every gigabyte motherboard out right now?

i was just looking at that ga gaming g1 as my next potential mobo this morning, but what is up with memory standard on every gigabyte motherboard out right now?

I am thinking it is a mistake on the spec sheets. The lowest DDR4 is 2133 and goes up from there, they have in the spec sheet being 2133 being the highest and going down, which would make since for DDR3

I think I made up my mind to get the ASUS X99-DELUXE. The dealbreaker for me w/ the EVGA mobo was the size (E-ATX) wouldn't fit in the case I wanted.

Now I just have to stop myself from pulling the trigger. I said I would wait for the new Nvidia cards (whenever that will be). Hmm...

I am thinking it is a mistake on the spec sheets. The lowest DDR4 is 2133 and goes up from there, they have in the spec sheet being 2133 being the highest and going down, which would make since for DDR3

I was suspecting that, it didn't make sense at all compared to every other board out there.

@cyber
Hats off to you sir for keeping that rig in your sig this long, i'm pretty sure upgrade will be noticeable :D

Stopping myself from pulling the trigger was futile. :D

Though I did only get a temporary video card (750ti) as I don't want to buy a bunch of cards to have to sell them so soon when the GTX 880/980 release.

I gotta step on here. We know you used to work for Asus. But we know you don't anymore, too. Dunno how long it's been but I can say when I recently had my open box Essence STX soundcard die and posted about it, you said the same thing. That there was no warranty, but Asus quickly replaced that card with a brand new retail boxed STX. I was surprised because of all the bad press they get around here. I've even had words with Raja and I still buy ASUS because, from where I sit, they do stand behind their products. MSI and Asus at least have reps here available should the need arrise. Furthermore I can say that ASUS does have a cross-ship advanced RMA system setup for their motherboards and GPUs, which is really pretty professional.

Just because i dont work there doesnt mean anything has changed. I still know people that work there and nothing has changed. Im glad youve had success with Asus warranty service. Unfortunately the amount of people who have had bad greatly outweigh the good. I have the same card you have in my computer. I bought it and my AC68R router knowing that if they fail i will just replace them. When it comes to the mainboard of a computer that all of the other expensive stuff i buy plugs into. I prefer to have a warranty i can count on rather then a warranty i cannot. Asus makes good stuff. When it comes to it getting fixed if it fails is a completely different story. Im just creating awareness. If you know about Asus and their spotty warranty before purchasing then great. Not everyone is aware.

It looks like ASrock is the only company supporting ECC memory.
So I suppose my next build will be with one of their board.

Asus Rampage all the way. I have had too many problems with past EVGA mainboards. As Bluesun311, I have had great luck with Asus mainboards AND their RMA. I love EVGA cards but after X79, no freaking way.

Asus Rampage all the way. I have had too many problems with past EVGA mainboards. As Bluesun311, I have had great luck with Asus mainboards AND their RMA. I love EVGA cards but after X79, no freaking way.

What was the problem of evga with x79?

Hi all, hope that Raja from asus can help me.
I'm reading the manual of Asus X99 Deluxe and I finded that asus suggest to use SLOT 1 and SLOT3 for a SLI configuration when on 40lanes and SLOT1 and SLOT 4 when on 28 lanes.

Why this difference?
And why if on 40 lanes I need to use slot 1 and 3, in this way the cards are too near, there is no headroom for airflow.
Why this?

Can I use SLOT1 and SLOT4 on a 40 lanes CPU too?
If yes, will it be 16x/16x?

I will be buying Asus X99-WS workstation mobo. Very expensive top-of-the-range but it has the highest number of PCIe slots (7) all running at least x8 mode which I need.

Trying to decide between Gigabyte X99 G1 Gaming Wifi or MSI X99S Gaming 9 AC... :confused: not really sure what I want.

Trying to decide between Gigabyte X99 G1 Gaming Wifi or MSI X99S Gaming 9 AC... :confused: not really sure what I want.

Gigabyte has too fans for what it offer.
They have the WiFi version with a cable laying over the Pcb, really, at 2014 a cable that connect the antenna to the WiFi card?

Come one.

Gigabyte has too fans for what it offer.
They have the WiFi version with a cable laying over the Pcb, really, at 2014 a cable that connect the antenna to the WiFi card?

Come one.

image_zpsa3c47af4.jpg~original

Not sure if it has been fixed yet, but gigabyte boards are scoring much lower in some benchmarks I've seen. Pretty sure it is bios related, which is concerning since they had massive bios issues with x79.

The msi gaming 9 was well reviewed on hardware.info.

I was leaning towards MSI... but decided to include Gigabyte simply because they've been rock solid for me. Thanks guys!

is there ax X99 board that has all of the following:
1. ~£200 pricetag (lower end of the scale)
2. M.2. 32Gb/s
3. PCIe 3.0 16x (electrical) slots with two spaces between them (for good gpu cooling)

2. M.2. 32Gb/s
3. PCIe 3.0 16x (electrical) slots with two spaces between them (for good gpu cooling)

Asrock X99 extreme4

2. M.2. 32Gb/s

Probably the Asus X99-A, check it out better.

Well, after 10 days of thinking whether to go with X99 or Z97, finally pulled the trigger on MSI X99S Gaming 7. What won me over is $65 discount on Newegg when purchased with Ripjaws 16 GB 2666, so both for 500 bucks is not that bad.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a Micro ATX board?

The asrock extreme 4m and m fatality are feature packed for the price. Gigabyte will be releasing a gaming 5m board sometime soon.

I ended up purchasing the fatality m board for my "gaming" pc. Hate the colors and brand, but selection is lacking for matx.

Not too concerned about aesthetics as the case will not be windowed. I'm currently holding off for bit as dropping $ for the 5960X hurt my bank just a bit, also curious to see what Gigabyte might have.

Up until X79 I would have said Gigabyte, but after having some issues with Gigabyte support, I'm going to pass on them.

I'm eyeballing the MSI X99S Gaming 7 or the MSI X99S SLI Plus.

Can anyone tell me what the main differences are between these two? Because from what I can tell, the Gaming 7 has a better sound card, different colors to the board, and a Qualcomm Killer 2205. Topped off with a $289 price tag.

Whereas the SLI Plus has a lower Realtek sound card, is all grey/black, and only sports a gigabit Intel 218... And has a $229 price tag.

Everything else seems to be the exact same.

I would just like more reviews and the boards to actually be available in the stores. :rolleyes:

Back