X99 Advice

Schtask

Limp Gawd
Hey guys. I'm starting to see some age out of my X58 920 and am feeling the need to upgrade.

My needs are: Visual Studio, SolidWorks CAD, Materialize Magics, Movie Editing / Rendering and high end gaming (4k).

I'm thinking of going with a Gigabyte SOC Champion, MSI X99A Plus SLI, MSI X99A XPOWER AC LGA or an MSI Krait.

Right now I'm leaning towards the SOC, although missing USB 3.1 makes me lean towards the MSI X99A Plus.

As for CPU, I'm thinking the 5930k is going to be my best bet due to budgetary constraints and rendering needs.

If you guys have any motherboard advice, CPU advice or RAM advice it is greatly appreciated.

My current system config is in the link on my signature.

Hey guys. I'm starting to see some age out of my X58 920 and am feeling the need to upgrade.

My needs are: Visual Studio, SolidWorks CAD, Materialize Magics, Movie Editing / Rendering and high end gaming (4k).

I'm thinking of going with a Gigabyte SOC Champion, MSI X99A Plus SLI, MSI X99A XPOWER AC LGA or an MSI Krait.

Right now I'm leaning towards the SOC, although missing USB 3.1 makes me lean towards the MSI X99A Plus.

As for CPU, I'm thinking the 5930k is going to be my best bet due to budgetary constraints and rendering needs.

If you guys have any motherboard advice, CPU advice or RAM advice it is greatly appreciated.

My current system config is in the link on my signature.

I cant think of a single reason to go with the 5930k over the 5920k unless you need the extra PCIe lanes

MSI X99A Plus would be my choices based on reviews and experience of people I know that have it. What ever board you pick make sure to buy RAM that is well supported on that specific board to avoid issues. X99 seems to be touchy about RAM

Good luck

Thanks! I've heard that the 5930k would be better for my needs as far as video rendering and CAD are concerned? Is this not the case compared to 5820?

Thanks! I've heard that the 5930k would be better for my needs as far as video rendering and CAD are concerned? Is this not the case compared to 5820?

All I can tell you is that they are both 6 cores and have the same 15mb of cache, the primary difference is the number of PCIe lanes available, but unless you pan to run 3 or 4 way SLI I dont see how that would be of any use to you.

the 5920k is stock 3.3ghz and the 5930k is 3.5ghz not enough there given the cost difference to justify it.

If money is not a concern I would suggest you go for the 5960x for 8 cores and 20mb of cache, but that will run you $800 to $1000 depending on your proximity to an MC store.

Just one persons opinion and I am not a CAD user so take that for what it is worth.

All I can tell you is that they are both 6 cores and have the same 15mb of cache, the primary difference is the number of PCIe lanes available, but unless you pan to run 3 or 4 way SLI I dont see how that would be of any use to you.

the 5920k is stock 3.3ghz and the 5930k is 3.5ghz not enough there given the cost difference to justify it.

If money is not a concern I would suggest you go for the 5960x for 8 cores and 20mb of cache, but that will run you $800 to $1000 depending on your proximity to an MC store.

Just one persons opinion and I am not a CAD user so take that for what it is worth.

+1

The 5820k and 5930k are pretty much the same except for the slight clock difference and additional pcie lanes on the 5930k. I presume the 5930k may overclock slightly better, but i haven't seen any proof of this yet.

I have a 5820k at 4.7Ghz on an MSI Krait and have had no trouble. Paired it with 16GB of Corsair DDR4 2666Mhz RAM, a Titan X and really enjoy the combo. I could not see any reason to spend the extra money on the 5930K, but the only heavy lifting task I use my PC for is gaming at 3440X1440. Good news is there is no wrong answer, a new build is always a good time.

I recently put together my x99 setup, and I went with the 5930k for the extra PCI lanes. I mainly wanted plenty of lanes for my GPUs, with enough room left over for some NVME drives (later on).

That said a 5820k is a very capable CPU, and will suite most people just fine. In my opinion, unless you are using multi-PCIe (let's say more than 3) a 5820k would be great.
If you plan on piling all kinds of graphics cards/pci ssds/raid controllers, then maybe go with the 5930k.

I ended up going with the MSI X99A SLI Plus (I don't need wireless or care about the audio circuitry). The pricing on that Mobo for the features you get was too good to pass up.

For the CPU I went with the 5820k. I won't be installing more than 3 GPUs (probably not more than 2 to be honest), and I think I'll be fine with 28 lanes.

Memory, I went with the Corsair CMK16GX4M4B3000C15 16gb 3000mhz kit. It was 9 dollars more than the 2800mhz kit, so I thought "Done and done". It's not on the compatibility list of the Mobo, but surely (hopefully) it should work.

Once they get here, I am ripping out the old UV orange rigid tubing and going 3/8 ID , 1/2 OD copper tubing...which may at some point get plasti-dipped or powder coated a crazy color...hell, it may just get polished.

Thanks for the help gents!

I will keep you guys posted. Trying to find a method for straightening copper tubing that doesn't involve waiting 2 months for a KwixUK tubing straightener.

Back