X8SIL -F Long Beep, will not post.

murmlos

n00b
Hello!

I jumped the bandwagon and got myself a X8SIL-F rev 1.02. However when i try to boot it just gives me one continously long beep and no video or anything.

According to the manual that would be the CPU overheating, i find that unlikely since i checked and double checked the fitting of the cooler.

My second guess would be the ram, i am using 2x2gb Samsung modules M378B5673EH1-CF8 . They are not on the compatible list at Supermicro, but i thought id give it a try.. Right now, that seems like a stupid move.

Is it me who is interpreting the manual wrong and the beep is really a memory fault? It would be nice knowing before spending money on some compatible ram.

// murmlos

Hello!

Yes i dont use ECC memory right now, i got a i5-660, so ECC is kinda pointless (well, the motherboard likes it ill admit to that).

But the thing the bothers me is the BEEP (singular), according to the manual, 3 beeps is the sign of some memory fault and one beep is cpu overheating.

I wont argue that it is the memory who is to blame for all this, but still cant supermicro write a decent manual i mean, wierd-memory cant be that rare of a problem!

Hi!
Yes i've read that. And i am getting _one_ long beep. So according to that its the CPU thats at fault.

Anyone succesfully running an i5 and x8sil?

// murmlos

Alright!

Changing the memory to KVR1333D3E9S did the trick!

The i5 are no longer officially supported by either Supermicro or Intel (probably because the hit the Xeon sale would take). However mine worked just fine! It warns at boot that the cpu is not supported, but disabling the error message in BIOS solves that annoying part!

// murmlos

Alright!

Changing the memory to KVR1333D3E9S did the trick!

The i5 are no longer officially supported by either Supermicro or Intel (probably because the hit the Xeon sale would take). However mine worked just fine! It warns at boot that the cpu is not supported, but disabling the error message in BIOS solves that annoying part!

// murmlos

How do you like hte motherboard soo far? I am thinking of buying one of these as well.

Back