X850XT vmod (pic)

orkan

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 9, 2002
Messages
1,488
Got a new "cold heat" solder wand, so I figured I better test drive it. :)

x850xt_vmod.jpg


Thats my shiny new X850XT. You'd swear they made the board to be volt modded. ;)

vgpu - 1.7v
core - 660mhz
mem - 621mhz

Load temp - 40c

artifact free.

Only hits 86,111 in AM3... but I'm very cpu bottled. (3200 winch @ 2.6, cbbid -> crap)
 
2Fresh said:
Still higher with my X800XT/PE, but nice oc ;)

Remind me to drop in and crap on your thread when you finish a project. :rolleyes: :D

... and thanks.
 
Damn! That's fast :eek:
You gots to post some more benchies. Also, what is the stock Vcore on the x850?

Props to a sweet OC!
 
Zinn said:
Damn! That's fast :eek:
You gots to post some more benchies. Also, what is the stock Vcore on the x850?

Props to a sweet OC!

Thanks. Stock on my card was 1.49v (i think) :p
 
What kind of case do you have there? I like those thumb screws for the slots. And I think I saw the soldering thing you're talking about on TV....you actually bought something to vmod an X850XT PE on the TV at midnight :eek: :D
 
How does volt mod work with graphic cards?
And what cooling are you using!
 
orkan said:
Remind me to drop in and crap on your thread when you finish a project. :rolleyes: :D

... and thanks.


Not crappin bro, that is a great oc, and you did it yourself..very cool..I had to pay out the ass.
 
Case is a U2-UFO from www.mountainmods.com
They are a super crew... top notch enclosures and even better customer service. (thanks ben)
complete2.jpg



I'm cooling it with a DD maze 4 block in a loop with a Dtek WW, 2x BIX 120's, and Laing D4 pump. Complete worklog is here
 
Nice OC and nice mod...

I remember seeing a thread about the Cold Heat devices...there was a debate as to how it managed to do what it does. After some diggin it was discovered that it used a very quick, but high intensity electrical arc. I believe everyone in that thread was immediately of the opinion that it would not be a great idea to use the Cold Heat devices to work with computer components.

Here you have a perfect example of it working (or just luck :D ) Either way it still is a great OC.
 
yeah... that kind of scares me now that I think about it. ... but it did work.
 
James Earl Ray said:
Great job. 700+ core is fairly common on the X850xt non pe's. Push it a little more.

It won't seem to do it. I've tried more volts, but when I increase the core mhz It will get artifacts in AM3. I just grabbed the new Cat 5.4's, so I will try some more later.
 
AM3.... getting the cables huh? More volt wont clean it up. Just use more volts if you lock up. The one I have now does 715 at 1.65 on water. How does nature in 03 look? That should give you your max clean clock.
 
orkan said:
Got a new "cold heat" solder wand, so I figured I better test drive it. :)

Thats my shiny new X850XT. You'd swear they made the board to be volt modded.
That's what I'm talking about: No Fear! Volt modding no matter how new the hardware or how much it cost. I have total respect for you man ;)
 
orkan said:
Got a new "cold heat" solder wand, so I figured I better test drive it. :)



Thats my shiny new X850XT. You'd swear they made the board to be volt modded. ;)

vgpu - 1.7v
core - 660mhz
mem - 621mhz

Load temp - 40c

artifact free.

Only hits 86,111 in AM3... but I'm very cpu bottled. (3200 winch @ 2.6, cbbid -> crap)

The cold heat soldering irons work by passing an electrical current through what ever you are soldering, NEVER use them on electronic devices. I work for the Military and I am an ISO certified Microminature Soldering Technician. Electronic components and stray electical current = Bad JuJu. However it seemed to work, good job on the OC.
 
Spazilton said:
The cold heat soldering irons work by passing an electrical current through what ever you are soldering, NEVER use them on electronic devices. I work for the Military and I am an ISO certified Microminature Soldering Technician. Electronic components and stray electical current = Bad JuJu. However it seemed to work, good job on the OC.

Yeah... I've decided to not use it on PCB's anymore. haha What is a good tool to use for tiny soldering jobs like this?
 
orkan said:
Yeah... I've decided to not use it on PCB's anymore. haha What is a good tool to use for tiny soldering jobs like this?

Hakko 936 :D
 
Actually I use a propane iron I got at Radio Crap. It works great and has a small conical tip. Heres a peek at my handywork.

2THUMBS%5b1%5d.JPG
 
ive got one of those too but it gets WAY to hot all you need is a small 15watt iron with silver solder
 
I see you have a Sapphy non pe. Those are my favorite right now. All of them do at least 685 so far. Here is mine. Check out these clocks.

3DMark 05 - 8152

3DMark 03 - 17169
 
James Earl Ray said:
Actually I use a propane iron I got at Radio Crap. It works great and has a small conical tip. Heres a peek at my handywork.

Actually thats one of the better solder jobs Ive seen for a mod. You should see what I can do with my Pace PRC-2000 station at work :p I love those things.

And dont get me wrong, the Coldheat soldering irons do have thier handy uses. Try building a cable with solder connectors hanging off a harness 150 ft off the deck of a ship..
 
Back
Top