X850XT - time to upgrade?

haggy

n00b
Hi All -

I am in the process of upgrading everything.

I picked up an X850XT for $20 - just because it was $20 haha.

I have an Asus Striker Extreme board coming with an E6550 chip and most other new components.

The question is -

My monitor maxes at 1280x1024 with 8ms response. I love my monitor and do not plan to upgrade anytime real soon or my wife will shoot me.

Will the x850xt handle Bioshock/Crysis at lower 1280 resolution? I do not have the cash at hand to get an 8800GT or Ultra yet. Or should I look at older mid-grade cards like the 7900 series for now?

Thanks for any assistance!!

It will handle them fine at lower resolutions if you dont want to buy something new now..

BioShock requires a SM3.0 video card. (x850xt is a SM2.0 video card)

It will run with some hacked game files, but its not perfect: very slow load times (main issue), 16bit color and not 32bit color, missing textures in a few areas.

Files and info can be found here: http://www.paolofranchini.com/shshock/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=05a5a05c4fad48035d4d28f022a3fefc

These files can be applied to the Bioshock demo if you want to get an idea of what you will experience playing Bioshock with a x850xt.

Crysis runs at a mix of medium and low settings at 1024x768 averaging 22 FPS. Playable for me. Your system will do better than my weak Barton 2500+ @ 2.2Ghz. Crysis is very cpu demanding. The medium shaders look much better than low shaders and are worth the performance hit. Again, download the demo and try it out.

seems like tons of new games require 3.0 sm shader.. i traded my wifes x850xtpe a month ago and got a 7900gt to replace it.. x850xt are very very very fast cards but the lack of sm3 killed it for me when i tried to play bioshock and medal of honor airborne..

Great info - thanks guys.

I was not even aware of the 2.0 vs 3.0 issue.

Guess I may have to find a few more things to sell so I can get a good card.

Back