• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X850XT substantially better than X800XT?

psychot|K

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
358
As the title says. Is the X850XT quite a great deal better and more powerful than a X800XT? I'm wondering if the extra $ is worth it. Thanks in advance.
 
short answer no, long answer .... no lol they are at stock speeds within 3-5% of each other, but some x850 xt pe's can overclcok more, a higher reso or aa setting more, no not worth it.
 
But the 850 uses a more advanced chip type, correct? I forget what it's called, but it's a higher RXXX number :p That make a big diff?
 
they really dont have much architecturally different, but i beleive the 850 uses a smaller manufacturing processess to increase yeilds.
 
It depends on the interface. I don't believe there is much of a difference with the PCIE cards, but with the AGP cards, the X850 is native AGP while I believe the X800 uses a rialto-type chip to convert its instructions from PCIE to AGP. In that case, there is actually a difference in speed. It should also be noted that the X850XTs are traditionally much better overclockers than the X800s.
 
hmm interesting... i was planning to upgrade my x800xt pci-e to a x850xt pci-e.. so it wouldnt be worth it?... ive always thought that the performance of the x850 xhips were alot better than the x800's
 
cmge said:
hmm interesting... i was planning to upgrade my x800xt pci-e to a x850xt pci-e.. so it wouldnt be worth it?... ive always thought that the performance of the x850 xhips were alot better than the x800's

It really depends on whether you plan on OCing, and if you have the extra money to spend. If you do, you might as well, since it WILL perform better. Just not like the difference between an X700 and an X800.
 
cmge said:
hmm interesting... i was planning to upgrade my x800xt pci-e to a x850xt pci-e.. so it wouldnt be worth it?... ive always thought that the performance of the x850 xhips were alot better than the x800's

No point in the x850 pcie when you can get a 7800gt that will support future games and probably run better. Only reason to own a x800 series ati card is if your stuck on agp period.
 
No way I'd go to a x850 unless it was a $20 upgrade like bob said. I'm passing on the r520 for the 24-pipe (or greater) r580. That's a worth while upgrade from my current card in my book.
 
Mister E said:
No way I'd go to a x850 unless it was a $20 upgrade like bob said. I'm passing on the r520 for the 24-pipe (or greater) r580. That's a worth while upgrade from my current card in my book.

errr, afaik r580 = 16x4= 48 shader units
 
PWMK2 said:
It really depends on whether you plan on OCing, and if you have the extra money to spend. If you do, you might as well, since it WILL perform better. Just not like the difference between an X700 and an X800.
im such a awuss when it comes to OCing my pc components... :( ... and i read somewhere the x800xy pci-e isnt that much of an OCer since it has 2ns samsung ram as opposed to 1.5ns
 
im happy with my x800xt aiw. at first I wasnt because I bought f.e.a.r and it owned me. Turned out it was my lack of RAM. I OC my x800xt to 588/575 scoring 6860 on 3dmark05. score is always changing cause im always changing the core/mem
 
cmge said:
im such a awuss when it comes to OCing my pc components... :( ... and i read somewhere the x800xy pci-e isnt that much of an OCer since it has 2ns samsung ram as opposed to 1.5ns

Yeah, I'm kind of a wuss too, no OC for the processor, and I only use ATI Overdrive at recommended settings for video card OCing, and even then I check to only have overdrive turned on when a 3D application is running... :) But I'm happy with my X850XT PE, it does FEAR with Soft Shadows at almost maximum settings (have to turn down textures because of my RAM) at 40FPS, and plays Half-Life 2 at 90FPS with settings turned all the way up... that is, when Steam doesn't crash on me. :mad: Oh, and FarCry is freaky fast too.
 
PWMK2 said:
I don't believe there is much of a difference with the PCIE cards, but with the AGP cards, the X850 is native AGP while I believe the X800 uses a rialto-type chip to convert its instructions from PCIE to AGP.

that doesn't sound right

The X800 is older than the X850. I don't think the Rialto chip was even done when the X800 came out.


arabdon1203 said:
errr, afaik r580 = 16x4= 48 shader units

last time I checked 16x4 equals 64
 
needmorecarnitine said:
that doesn't sound right

The X800 is older than the X850. I don't think the Rialto chip was even done when the X800 came out.

You're right. The X800 and X850 parts were available in native AGP and PCI-e. The X800XL was the first part without a native AGP counterpart that used the Rialto chip; it's one of the reasons the AGP variant was so large.
 
needmorecarnitine said:
that doesn't sound right

The X800 is older than the X850. I don't think the Rialto chip was even done when the X800 came out.




last time I checked 16x4 equals 64

typo, meant 3, like the x1600xt.
 
PWMK2 said:
Yeah, I'm kind of a wuss too, no OC for the processor, and I only use ATI Overdrive at recommended settings for video card OCing, and even then I check to only have overdrive turned on when a 3D application is running... :) But I'm happy with my X850XT PE, it does FEAR with Soft Shadows at almost maximum settings (have to turn down textures because of my RAM) at 40FPS, and plays Half-Life 2 at 90FPS with settings turned all the way up... that is, when Steam doesn't crash on me. :mad: Oh, and FarCry is freaky fast too.
nice...

as for oc'ing id like to try it but im not sure if it will be wise to do so... say i get a sapphire gto2 and oc to x850xt pe speeds... im almost positive the life span of the card will shorten... plus would it generate lots of heat since its being o'cd?.. and also i have my comp on 24/7 everyday and wouldnt that affect the oc'd card as well?
 
arabdon1203 said:
errr, afaik r580 = 16x4= 48 shader units

You don't know this for a fact yet. My point was I'm not trading one 16-pipe card for another. Not unless it really screams.
 
cmge said:
nice...

as for oc'ing id like to try it but im not sure if it will be wise to do so... say i get a sapphire gto2 and oc to x850xt pe speeds... im almost positive the life span of the card will shorten... plus would it generate lots of heat since its being o'cd?.. and also i have my comp on 24/7 everyday and wouldnt that affect the oc'd card as well?

as for shortening the life span it wouldnt do that unless it gets very hot...you might need to buy a an aftermarket cooler if your stock one fails(they rarely do) and yeh there would be more heat, but not a lot more....you could keep the fan at 100% (i do whilst gaming and have no problems) and when your not gaming just lower your clocks....simple...and if you keep your comp on 24/7 dont forget to clean your card a lot and your comp
 
Mister E said:
You don't know this for a fact yet. My point was I'm not trading one 16-pipe card for another. Not unless it really screams.

pipes aren't the end all for performance, look at how the x1800xt compares to the 7800gtx
 
Back
Top