X850XT Crashes

Decay

Weaksauce
I recently got a new upgraded system (in my sig) and I am having big problems with my vid card. All of my Vid cards have been ATI and I have been pleased with all of them, never having any problems, untill now...

Just to clarify I have all recent driver/updates for my vid card, mobo, sound card, windows, etc. and all my components are running from a fresh install of windows.

Now whenever I try to start any game I want to play: SWBF2, BF2, WoW, NFSMW, Eve-online, X3... Every time in every game it starts to get to the main loading screen of each game my Vid card crashes ie. my screen freezes, then turns black, then I get no signal showing on my monitor, I have to manually restart my system and when I log back onto windows my screen size is reset to 800x600. I reset all my settings for my card to default, I still get the problem. Right now I am at a loss of ideas on what to de next.

Does it sound like I have a bad card and should RMA it? Is it a problem with some Bios settings? I looked for answers from ATI.com, DFI.com, Nvidia.com, sapphiretech.com, and I have emailed customer support for my online games, all so far no solution has been found. I upgraded my system mainly for future gaming opurtunitys. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Could be bad drivers, PSU, over-heating or maybe a clash with another driver. I'd say reinstall video driver first and if the problem persist we'll start from there.

ok, will run the ati uninstaller, and then install latest drivers again... you can mark one off the list though, I know its not overheating since the card is running at about 39-40 degrees celcius, which is fairly normal

any other ideas??? would you think that I am not getting enough power to my card??? if so how could I test to see if it is my psu? I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my psu, it has been very reliable for me, and atm is the best psu I currently own

do you know where I can download updates for it? its not on the dfi.com page

bios update did not work, any other suggestions? This really sucks I upgraded my vid card and now I cant play any games w/out my system crashing...

if the card keeps crashing this much, it would be wise to install seat belts

other then that, i think you might have a bum card, how much ram do you have? are you running 2x sticks, 1x, 4x? you might want to try switching your ram around, or try just one stick at a time

as it says in my sig, I have 2GB ram total 4x512Mb matched pairs. How would having 4 sticks of ram affect my video card?

Well why not try and run memtest+86 or try a linux distro live cd and see if the card works there (I take it the system crashes quite quickyl after a startup)?

no the system doesnt crash at all after start up its, only when I try to run games... I actually had my system on over night last night and I woke up today its still on.

Decay said:
ok, Ill run memtest... I will come back with the results

I would suggest running it a few times, test 5 (at least for me) usually showed the errors during runthroughs (but of course everyone's different)

I have gone through 6 tests so far all have passed with no errors... I think we can count out my memory... any other suggestions???

should I remove a pair of my sticks leaving 2 slots free??? or could it be a problem with my psu not supplying enough power to the card??? its a 480W thermaltake silent purepower PSU and the +12V rail supplies 18 amps <--- is this not enough??? could there be a way to test to see if it is indeed my psu?

ok, I removed two of my matched sticks leaving me with 1GB of ram, and now my games work... so it is a memory problem, what can I do to use my full 2 GB of ram without it running in the same problems? I dont want to waste $100 on ram and not use it... do I need to change some bios settings? should I move the sticks arround in different configurations?

I have all the same RAM sticks I have a total of 4 Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT modules, I bought them as matched pair sets so would it be possible to mix and match those sets or should I keep them together as matched pairs running together???

DFI boards are very picky when it comes to memory. Especially when more than 2 sticks are used. I hate to say this, but you're much better off switching your mobo or getting 2x1gb sticks of memory t avoid having 4 sticks. That being said, make sure you get memory compatible with the mobo.

I am running 2 gigs in that mobo, but i use 2 sticks of g.skill memory. People had good luck with g.skill, ocz, geil and pqi. Some problematic memory sticks with this board are crucial, kingston and corsair.

well luckyly I got it to work with all my modules, all I did was switch around the matched pairs positions... ie. I took the modules from slots 1&3 and put them in slots 2&4, and same with the others from 2&4 I put in slots 1&3... very picky board

thanks for all ur help guys, I was starting to get a lil stressed

Back