• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

x850XT Artifacting (no overclock)

Volume

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 17, 2004
Messages
4,010
I get annoying graphical glitches when playing on my x850XT. In World of Warcraft, tree leaf textures can sometimes flash on and off depending on camera movement, and when they flash on they appear stretched. Also, sometimes in CS:S I get similar wierd things, such as once when I saw a floor lifted up on a 45 degree angle in de_prodigy.

The card is not overclocked.

Did I pay $400 for a POS? Could there be issues with Catalyst and x850 Series? I am aware that I can RMA to ATI but just wondering if it's a driver issue.
 
Volume said:
I get annoying graphical glitches when playing on my x850XT. In World of Warcraft, tree leaf textures can sometimes flash on and off depending on camera movement, and when they flash on they appear stretched. Also, sometimes in CS:S I get similar wierd things, such as once when I saw a floor lifted up on a 45 degree angle in de_prodigy.

The card is not overclocked.

Did I pay $400 for a POS? Could there be issues with Catalyst and x850 Series? I am aware that I can RMA to ATI but just wondering if it's a driver issue.
probably a driver issue....unistall your devic then use driver cleaner pro while in safe mode to remove all traces then reboot in regular mode and install the latest catalyst drivers
 
cell_491 said:
probably a driver issue....unistall your devic then use driver cleaner pro while in safe mode to remove all traces then reboot in regular mode and install the latest catalyst drivers
Oh trust me, I've done that and more. All it comes down to is whether Catalyst hates the 850's or ATI made a bad card.

I feel it's important to also add that when testing for artifacts with ATI Tool, no artifacts are seen or found. This only happens in games as far as I know. DirectX and all that are all up to date, even after a clean reformat. By the way, does Doom3 run on OpenGL? That is the only game I've yet to notice artifacts in. Then again, I don't play Doom3 much as it gets boring for me very easily. Point being, if Doom3 does indeed run OpenGL, then the only games that seem to cause artifacts are ones in Direct3D.
 
Volume said:
Oh trust me, I've done that and more. All it comes down to is whether Catalyst hates the 850's or ATI made a bad card.

I feel it's important to also add that when testing for artifacts with ATI Tool, no artifacts are seen or found. This only happens in games as far as I know. Direct X and all that are all up to date, even after a clean reformat.

Well I'm not sure if it's the same but my 9800XT had similar corruptions, never really figured out what was exactly wrong but everyone that saw my screenshots told me that it's the RAM overheating. I ended up just selling it before it caused any more problems.
 
Fistandantilis said:
if you can and have no probs waiting try to RMA the card, or better cooling.
As things are looking now, an RMA will be my way out. There's no way I'm spending time, money, and extra effort to turn a faulty $400 video card into a fully working one. I'll leave that to ATI.

By the way, my 480watt PSU should be enough for this card, correct? I can't see that as a possible problem.
 
Volume said:
As things are looking now, an RMA will be my way out. There's no way I'm spending time, money, and extra effort to turn a faulty $400 video card into a fully working one. I'll leave that to ATI.


By the way, my 480watt PSU should be enough for this card, correct? I can't see that as a possible problem.

How many amps do you have on the 12v rail?
 
Volume said:
If you tell me how, I'll be more than glad to tell you. :)

Hehe the only way I know of is to open up the case and look at the sticker on the side of the power supply.
 
sakurakana1003 said:
Hehe the only way I know of is to open up the case and look at the sticker on the side of the power supply.
Won't Motherboard Monitor also show this type of voltage information? When I'm able to I'll try either way to find this out for you.
 
Is your motherboard chipset by any chance a 865PE?

Edit: I just checked and your chipset is indeed a 865PE. There is a known issue with those, whereby if you overclock them past a certain level (usually 230 MHz) you get terrible artifacting in 3D. Are you overclocked at all?
 
I don't want to sound like a troll, but I bought an X850 XT PE about a week ago. It had the same artifacting... especially during WoW, but definitely during other stress tests. Traded it in, thinking it was defective. Same problem.

I ask my guildies about it, and no less than 3 of them claim to have had the same problems with X800's or X850's. I returned my nforce4 mobo, my video card, and got an nforce3 and used my old agp 6800 gt.

No more jet engine noise, no more crappy drivers, no more artifacts.

If you insist on ATI, i think your only choice is going to be replacing that heatsink and fan. Even then, underclocked heavily, you still will get those artifacts. Go figure.
 
His PSU is in his sig...20 seconds on newegg showed that it has 18a on the +12v, which is lower than the normal recommendations (my lowly 400w has 14a+15a), but I don't know enough about the stuff to tell whether or not this would cause artifacting.

I just encountered pretty severe artifacting (worse than what your problems sound) on my brand new XFX 6800gt (no overclocking) too, but I quickly RMA'd it through Newegg. I've been reading more and more things about insufficient stock cooling though as I look into this stuff, and it really does seem pretty poor on the card manufacterer's side that they can't keep their cards cool enough to run in the average system with no problems at stock speeds. If I have any heating problems on my new card when it comes, I'm going to send it straight back and get one of those leadteak 6800gt's with the massive heatsink on it...they appear to be one of the few companies that care about their product being completely functional.
 
This may sound crazy but I say call up ATI and ask them if this is normal. If it isn't RMA it.
 
Back
Top