x850pro unlock story

Zerv

Weaksauce
So the other day I see the x850pro (AGP) for sale at Best Buy decided what the hell go for it and pick one of em up.

Get home read up on unlocking the extra pipelines through a bios flash and finally when I get enough time on my hands I go ahead and do it.

So I flashed to the x850xt bios and things are running great. Only weird thing is when I try to push card past speeds of 525mhz on the cpu I get locking up or weird display problems. Not the normal artifacts you would expect so for the time being I figure fuck it I got enough out of the card for now. Finally today while playing around with the cpu speeds I realize something just has to not be right. Sure as sh*t the video card is hot as hell and I check the fan on it. Turns out after I flash the bios the fan stops working. I tested this back and forth. So sacrificing sleep I decided to rip off the stock fan and hook up my thermaltake to it by glueing it with some polyurethane glue kicking around. Go to bed while it drys wake up and it runs beautiful... nice and cool now.

So I started off my journy with a 3dmark05 score of 5k with the new video card and am now just under 6k.
What a great card to unlock

Is your card the standard Pro or the VIVO? Is it AGP or PCI-e? If it is the non-VIVO AGP version, where did you find flash info? Everything I found on flashing these cards pertains only to the VIVO versions.

sorry forgot to mention that part, it is the VIVO. It's the X850pro that best buy had on sale this week for $280 ($250 w/mail in rebate). Yes it is also AGP.

Zerv said:
So the other day I see the x850pro (AGP) for sale at Best Buy decided what the hell go for it and pick one of em up.

Get home read up on unlocking the extra pipelines through a bios flash and finally when I get enough time on my hands I go ahead and do it.

So I flashed to the x850xt bios and things are running great. Only weird thing is when I try to push card past speeds of 525mhz on the cpu I get locking up or weird display problems. Not the normal artifacts you would expect so for the time being I figure fuck it I got enough out of the card for now. Finally today while playing around with the cpu speeds I realize something just has to not be right. Sure as sh*t the video card is hot as hell and I check the fan on it. Turns out after I flash the bios the fan stops working. I tested this back and forth. So sacrificing sleep I decided to rip off the stock fan and hook up my thermaltake to it by glueing it with some polyurethane glue kicking around. Go to bed while it drys wake up and it runs beautiful... nice and cool now.

So I started off my journy with a 3dmark05 score of 5k with the new video card and am now just under 6k.
What a great card to unlock

3dmark sounds uber low. I break 6k with a x800pro

I have the same card, and had the same struggles with the bios. The XT & XTPE bios's don't have the same gradual fan voltage settings. It's either on, or off.

Here's how I got around it:

1.Flash to XT (or XL to keep the clocks lower). Either of these bios's will unlock the extra pipes.

2.Flash back to Pro. Flashing back won't re-lock the pipes. Just drop your clocks to 500/500. Then you can OC with AtiTool or something.

I'm running at XTPE speeds, and my newcastle a64 @ 2.5ghz. I get about 6600 in 3dmark05. So 6k isn't "uber" low. There's no way an x800 pro is hitting 6k unless it's oc'd to hell.

Check this out for an average of what other cards are doing:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027953890&postcount=2352

yeah I plan to do a reinstall of windows xp soon. I haven't really been mainting my computer lately for gaming or anything. Yeah I flashed back once to the old bios but forgot I was using the force command for all the bios settings. well for now I think I'll keep that fan on though since I'm sure it pushes more air, granted it looks ugly as hell but then again nothing in my computer is tidy at the moment. I'm still pretty happy with nearly 6k 3dmark score.

Zerv said:
yeah I plan to do a reinstall of windows xp soon. I haven't really been mainting my computer lately for gaming or anything. Yeah I flashed back once to the old bios but forgot I was using the force command for all the bios settings. well for now I think I'll keep that fan on though since I'm sure it pushes more air, granted it looks ugly as hell but then again nothing in my computer is tidy at the moment. I'm still pretty happy with nearly 6k 3dmark score.

Even though you can tweak the onboard fan controller, I still put an ati silencer on my card and I'm controlling the fan on it with a rheostat in a 5.25 bay. That way, If I really want my computer to be dead silent, I can drop the fan speed down.

yeah I'm gonna have that fan that i just glued on hooked up to a fan bus so I'll just have that flexibility now in any case.

Yeah with my setup I get about 6300. So your about there just need some overclocking. Glad to hear about another successful flash! :D

Back