• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

x850pro or 6800gt???

Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
60
i would go with x800xl however its not on ur list, if u stock between x800pro and 6600gt then go with gt cause pro has only 8pipes, however if u want to spend $20 more for x800xl u will get better performance over 6600gt and 16 pipes (6600gt has 16 too).
 
Hes linking to 6800GT's guys, not 6600's. Go for the XFX 6800GT, you wont regret it. The ASUS one uses old DDR1 and only has half the RAM, and the X850 Pro is just a crippled X850XT that didnt make it thorugh testing.
 
yeh the pro version is really bad...if u have more money get the xt...but if not the 68oogt will be more than enough for good graphics speed
 
Skrying said:
Realize some things before you rush into this. The cheapest PCIe 6800GT is $350, on that XFX you pay $350 and you must take your chances on getting that rebate.

Now realize, that X800XL is just as fast as the 6800GT, plus the X800XL is only $250 in PCIe, so it is a great value and the card you should get.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...M&Product_Code=190527&Category_Code=ATI-PCI-E

What chances are you taking when using a rebate form? The post office will lose your mail? You'll be to lazy to walk to the mailbox? A comet will fall from the sky and crush your mailman?
 
BossNoodleKaboodle said:
What chances are you taking when using a rebate form? The post office will lose your mail? You'll be to lazy to walk to the mailbox? A comet will fall from the sky and crush your mailman?

Lets see, you pay $350 upfront. Then you wait around 3 months if its coming, the company could not send it, you may get it in the mail 6 months later. Lets face the facts, you're not getting the rebate tomorrow, the day after or at the end of the week, or at the end of the month. You're getting it 3 months from now when it doesnt matter, if you get it. I know lots of people who simply dont get them, or have waited so long that they dont care.
 
If your so tight on money you cant wait a few months for $50, your not going to be buying $350 video card.

Get the 6800GT for $299 :cool:
 
BossNoodleKaboodle said:
What chances are you taking when using a rebate form? The post office will lose your mail? You'll be to lazy to walk to the mailbox? A comet will fall from the sky and crush your mailman?
umm are u thinking???? how often did u get ur rebates back, they reraly come back
 
forget about the x850pro...waste of time...

the x800xl and 6800GT are essentially equal...but the 6800GT does support SLI, PS3.0, HDR etc...I personally would pay $50 more for the 6800GT...but that's about it...if it comes down to a $100 difference not including the rebate, I would just go with the XL...
 
I'd go for the 6800GT or X800XL.. with the 6800GT preferrably. I wish I coulda bought a 6800GT for what I got my X800XL at :(
 
that is an absolutely HORRIBLE 6800GT!! There was a topic about it I think a few days ago. DON'T GET IT. It's overpriced.

Get the XFX 6800GT if you still can! It is about 10 times better (literally) than that ASUS excuse for a graphics card.

I'd get a 6800GT even for $350. Just mow a few lawns.
 
I own a nvidia card!! woot woot.... X800XL=PCI Express IMO PERIOD.
 
id go for the OC standpoint.. the 6800GTs can OC like a mofo.. the XLs cant oc worth a shit.. its easy as pie tp flash a GT to a ultra and run blazing fast games to smokre that XL.. and it has all the new eye candy.. i say go with the 6800GT.. but shop around... :D
 
x800xl owns....if all u want a 6800 for is sli, there's ATi's crossfire...although u wud have to buy a brand new mobo, it wud be a heckuv alot cheaper than buying 2 6800gt's/ultras
they had a price comparison and review on crossfire on tomshardware....
 
Skrying said:
Lets see, you pay $350 upfront. Then you wait around 3 months if its coming, the company could not send it, you may get it in the mail 6 months later. Lets face the facts, you're not getting the rebate tomorrow, the day after or at the end of the week, or at the end of the month. You're getting it 3 months from now when it doesnt matter, if you get it. I know lots of people who simply dont get them, or have waited so long that they dont care.

I have NEVER been screwed out of a rebate. If you don't keep track of things, you won't recieve them. I'm always buying things that have rebates, all the way from Berryman's gas additive additive for a buck to a Panasonic digital camera that I recieved a free camera bag and battery ($100 value) that took six months and three phone calls and a threating email to finally recieve the goods. I even caught my wife taking a rebate check and cashing them without saying anything ( she only did it once). I asked her and she said she didn't have any cash and it was only $20 buck. Maybe that's your problem!

You have to set down and fill the paperwork out before opening the package. This method ensures your complaince with your wishes. If you don't mail it you won't recieve it.


But on the subject, buy the 6800gt.
 
You semi proved my point in some way though. 6 months waiting period and all that work to get the rebate check, not everyone wants to do this, and hardly anyone will. I know I wont, because I simply would have baught the $100 cheaper card in the first place that offers the same performance.
 
Skrying said:
You semi proved my point in some way though. 6 months waiting period and all that work to get the rebate check, not everyone wants to do this, and hardly anyone will. I know I wont, because I simply would have baught the $100 cheaper card in the first place that offers the same performance.
Well it seems like he won't be upgrading in a while so why does he have to go with a card with a less feature set? You might say the 6800gt can't run all the effects blah blah, but Chaos Theory with Sm3.0, HDR, and soft shadows is perfectly playable at 1280x1024.
 
Banko said:
Well it seems like he won't be upgrading in a while so why does he have to go with a card with a less feature set? You might say the 6800gt can't run all the effects blah blah, but Chaos Theory with Sm3.0, HDR, and soft shadows is perfectly playable at 1280x1024.

Yes, if you enjoy slower than hell performance. :D
 
Rebates are a problem to get back? Since when?

I've gotten every rebate back I've ever sent in, and it usually takes about a month or two at the longest. I just send in the rebate and forget about it, then a month later it's like "ooo, money.".

I guess some people have a hard time legibly writing out their address on a rebate form or something. Either that or you purposely piss off your mailman.
 
I really can't believe that no one has asked the obvious question... what games do you play??? some games run better on nvidia cards, some run better on ati cards. This is mainly a matter of personal preference and what you're going to be running on it. There is no definite answer, as you can see from the last 20 posts.
 
Banko said:
Didn't I just say that 1280x1024 with everything on is perfectly playable?

Yes, and playing the game on my LAN rig is perfectly unplayable for me. I cant stand low FPS drops that those effects cause. At 1024x768 its what I'd call playable, but then its ugly due to the lack of any AA.
 
i'm gonna be playin CS:Source and GTA san andreas and Hitman 3.....mainky Counterstirke condition zero and CS source
 
well my vote--get the x800xl on sale for $250 new-- best bang for puck --stick with pci-express

only reason i see to pay more for a 6800gt is that it can run sli-- otherwise the x8xx's can run about the same--for less $$$ in pci express.

a far as the x850pro being crap--it's a very fast card--even with only 12 pipes. i would rather have the slower 16 pipeline XL for the cheeper price though.

as for the nvidias-- i have three of the 6800gt's-- one of them is allready "dieing"-- PNY says the warrenty just expired ?--WTF?? hopefully the other two will live longer--

if you get one of the nvidias----get one with at least a 3 year warrenty-- a lifetime warrenty would be better-- i think asus is 5 years ?-- this is no lie-- no excuse for a $300 video card to crap out in just a year-- not overclocked at all

so far all the ATI's ive built still going strong (knock on wood)

anybody want to buy a 6800gt--with known issues--real cheap??--
 
Back
Top