• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X850 XT-PE Fan Question

entermymatrix03

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
206
hey guys. i am the happy new owner of a X850 XT-PE. i'm gonna install it tonight after work and i have a few questions concerning the fan. i wanted to use ati tools and make the fan run @ 100% all of the time. how much life will this take off of the fan and will it actually be good to do this? i may buy a new cooler in the future, but right now that isn't possible. what do you guys think?
 
I just picked up an X850XT and installed it last night. I don't think running it full will cause any problem in the short term but at that speed the damn thing is LOUD, even at 50% theres an annoying hi pitched whine, honestly, I couldn't stand it. Luckily I have a Zalman VF700 that will be going on it tonite.
 
ncantador said:
I just picked up an X850XT and installed it last night. I don't think running it full will cause any problem in the short term but at that speed the damn thing is LOUD, even at 50% theres an annoying hi pitched whine, honestly, I couldn't stand it. Luckily I have a Zalman VF700 that will be going on it tonite.


I know what you mean, I had read up on this card long before I bought it and knew it was loud when it started up. But even knowing this, when I fist started my computer with this bad boy installed I was like WTF is that!

I have never heard a fan like this make such noise.
It's like having 2 92mm Tornado runing at 12v!
:eek:
 
entermymatrix03 said:
hey guys. i am the happy new owner of a X850 XT-PE. i'm gonna install it tonight after work and i have a few questions concerning the fan. i wanted to use ati tools and make the fan run @ 100% all of the time. how much life will this take off of the fan and will it actually be good to do this? i may buy a new cooler in the future, but right now that isn't possible. what do you guys think?


I wouldn't worry about the life of the fan, it will be fine!
You on the other hand will not be fine, I give you 2 hours tops before that SOUND will drive you mad!
 
actually where my computer sits under my entertainment stand me and my dad built for my tv you cannot really hear it. its only a little louder than it used to be. it doesn't bother me much. i just don't want it cranked up on full blast all the time and then the fan die on me. i guess if it does i get to upgrade to bigger and better things!
 
i'm using the omega drivers. how do i get ati tools to load my settings when windows starts up. i have run ati tools when windows starts up. what else do i need to check so that i can get my fan running when windows starts up instead of having to up it everytime i log onto my pc. it won't even keep the same settings after i restart windows for the fans.
 
Just open ATI tools, click on the settings button at the bottom right, then click the drop down arrow at the top right. Click on fan control check thel override fan speeds box, click the fixed percentage button, type in 100% in the box next to it and apply. Go back to the drop down, choose startup check off the Load on Windows Startup via box, and choose all users. Save this as a profile that you will load every time windows starts.

Insert earplugs and enjoy :D

Edit: by the way, noise is not the only reason to change the cooler, it actually may help extend the life of the card by controling heat, In an enclosed space as I imagine your pc is. It's better for your card in the long run.
 
Back
Top