• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

x850 XT PE agp UnclocKable?

kalpha

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
164
x850 XT PE agp UnclocKable?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought an ati x850 xt pe agp 8x video card (stock 540 core/590 mem) a week ago and it doesn't seem to want to overclock. I've read in a few reviews (DriverHeaven, Hothardware) where they were able to easily have the card overclock to 590+ core/595+ mem, although the cards they used were PCIe, not agp.

I am sure the card is connected to my power supply. I tried runing ati's overdrive in the catalyst control center but the card always locks up on me after running the overclocking function for a few minutes (the utility never completes). THe screen will show some messed up colors (like how the old nintendo system games would show) and then blank out. I've tried this 4 times and the result has always been the same.

I also tried downloading AtiTool and that thing only finds a stable max mem at 594 mhz, a measly 4+. When i triy to find the max core, the screen will do the same thing as the overdrive utilty. It'll show scrambled colors on the screen and then blank out. WHen i manually set the core to anything above 543, and run the "scan for artifacts" function, the card will loock up within 20 minutes.

My card idles at about 42 degrees C and never goes above 68 degrees with the stock cooling.

I have also noticed that while playing Half-life 2, I can see short red lines across the screen when I view any black area. I took some screenshots, but the red lines don't show up on the screenshots.

I'm thinking I might have a bad card. What do you guys think?
 
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the AGP variant of the X850XTPE doesn't OC all that well (at least compared to all the PCI-E models).

This comes direct from Viper John who is an ex-ati engineer and works/benches dozens of these cards.

This doesn't mean you can't get a good OC on the card, but he told me this after I mentioned upgrading my X800XTPE to an X850XTPE (or XT) after seeing how much success the PCI-E crowd has with them.

Also, the graphical issues you're having are simply from OCing too high. ATItool will take your card to a speed that is beyond "gaming stable".

For stock voltages, those are good numbers, but your card isn't defective. It just doesn't OC as well as a PCI-E X850. If your card is not showing those "red lines" at stock speeds, ATI will just return the same card to you and tell you it's not broken.
 
Here's the thing: I see those red lines at stock speeds! I don't run HL2with overclocked speeds. Also, when viewing these forums, I can also sometimes see the red lines also in the black background, but not nearly as obvious as in black scenes in HL2.

bubblethumper, can you send me Viper john's website or a link to where he said that about agp x850 xt pe's?
 
kalpha said:
Here's the thing: I see those red lines at stock speeds! I don't run HL2with overclocked speeds. Also, when viewing these forums, I can also sometimes see the red lines also in the black background, but not nearly as obvious as in black scenes in HL2.

bubblethumper, can you send me Viper john's website or a link to where he said that about agp x850 xt pe's?
If that's true, sounds like the card is defective.
 
kalpha said:
..... WHen i manually set the core to anything above 543...........

I'm thinking I might have a bad card. What do you guys think?

you card is just fine as long as it runs at its advertised speeds.

just because it wont O/C worth anything doesnt mean that the card is defective.
 
kalpha said:
bubblethumper, can you send me Viper john's website or a link to where he said that about agp x850 xt pe's?

website: use google

source: email he wrote to me. So there is no link
 
I was looking at another thread on this forum which had several medium-sized pics of artic silver remover and those red lines were very visible to the right and left of the pics. But when i scrolled down the page where the pics were no longer on the screen, those red lines were gone.

I also have a program pvr program called SageTV, and on the startup screen, I can also see those red lines appear for awhile until sagetv finally loads up completely.

Any other owners of x850 xtpe agp cards like to share with me your overclocking results?
 
ozziegn said:
you card is just fine as long as it runs at its advertised speeds.

just because it wont O/C worth anything doesnt mean that the card is defective.
Read the whole post.

Replace the card.
 
Back
Top