• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

x850 Pro Vs x1650 Pro

Doom4life

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
196
About two weeks ago I purchased an ATI x850 Pro for $200 canadian.

I just noticed that a different store is selling ATI x1650 Pro's (512mb) for even cheaper than what I paid.

Is it worth returning the x850 Pro and getting the x1650 Pro? From what I have read, the x850 Pro is a better card speed wise to the x1650 Pro, however the x1650 is a newer card and supports the latest technologies (However it does not have the power to be able to run it in their full glory.)

I was planning to flash the bios to open up the full 16 pipelines and eventually try and overclock the x850 Pro to XT PE speeds (Hopefully) using a Zalman cooler.

The games I play:

Half-life and relate mods
Half-life 2 and related mods
Doom 3
GTA series
 
Hi,

First a quick disclaimer. This is only advice/suggestion. I am not responsible for wrecking your PC build. If you do not know what you are doing, don't attempt it.

I would personally go with Flashing the X850Pro Card to XTPE. Right now, there is going to be a huge change in the way things are going to be happening with graphics and processing. I was in your shoes with what to do. I have an X850XTPE for video. Just about everything you are playing is in DX9. All I would see is a waste of money since the 850 is still a good card to run video on.

As I was saying about being in your shoes... I was thinking about doing a new build. However, I would be playing with technology that is a stepping stone to the next generation. We all know that AM2 is not going to be around for long. Most video cards are still DX9. DX10 cards are just coming on line. I would just wait and see what happens. Flashing the card to XTPE would be fine until the next generation or at least the marketplace finally stabilizes on something. Besides you are saving money hopefully for a new system build that could use the new found resources in processor power or ram speed.

Like you asked for suggestions. I offered. No need to flame or get abusive.

Happy new year,
al
 
I would choose the newer 1650pro because they perform very similar...
 
What about the memory?

Keep in mind my x850 Pro has 256mb of DDR3 RAM, whereas the x1650 Pro has 512mb of DDR2.

Wouldn't that be a downfall with the x1650 Pro, since it's using slower memory? I have been trying to find some sort of a benchmark that shows shows the x850's Vs the x1000 series, but I have yet to find one.
 
X800 series of cards are work horses. They remind me of the 9700. I'm still using a x800xt and to my surprise I reloaded up wow and it ran at full settings, aa and af at 1920x1200 on my new 24" monitor pretty smooth. Not saying that it would run the games you listed but just to give a reference.

I am however looking at the 1950pro agp 256/512 cards. I think they can be had for around $250us.
 
Tyr-Sog said:
X800 series of cards are work horses. They remind me of the 9700. I'm still using a x800xt and to my surprise I reloaded up wow and it ran at full settings, aa and af at 1920x1200 on my new 24" monitor pretty smooth. Not saying that it would run the games you listed but just to give a reference.

I am however looking at the 1950pro agp 256/512 cards. I think they can be had for around $250us.

Yeah is true, I was able to play F.E.A.R. with everything on Max without Softshadows cause it looks like crap and with 4x FSAA and 16x AF and never dipped below the 30's and the average was around the 60's and the max was 85. I have a X800XT PE. I know that If I had more than 1GB of RAM will run better, cause everytime that the game stuttered I saw a lot of HD activity. I was runnning it at 1024x768 with V-Sync and Triple Buffering. Cause at 1280x1024 my CRT would run it at 60Hz and that sucks. And of course, no X16X0 series of Radeon is able to outperform any Radeon X800XL/XT or X850PRO/XL/XT of cards.
 
Back
Top