• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

x850 PRO Opinions

Karant

Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
607
I'm currently interested in getting an AGP BBA x850 Pro... what are peoples opinions on this? Does it play well in DoD and BF2? Thanks.
 
I have an XT (slightly better than Pro), and BF2 plays quite well. I havn't played DoD though. I'm at high quality, 1024x768 and it's more than playable.

General opinion: Go for it, it's a pretty decent card.
 
One of the great debates now is whether the 850pro is the better deal than the refrub'd x800xl. Its about $19 after 5% off. It certainly seems like the new x850pros will be stuck with just 12 pixel pipes. The other question is what kind of monitor you got? If you have an LCD and are not going higher than say 1280x1024 then you should be OK with that card. Your 3.1Ghz P4 is just right for either card as well.

Also as to whether it will do well in BF2, you've got a Gig of ram and general consensus says that's OK; but that'd there'd be a moderate overall performance gain with a second gig.
 
GonzoP said:
One of the great debates now is whether the 850pro is the better deal than the refrub'd x800xl. Its about $19 after 5% off. It certainly seems like the new x850pros will be stuck with just 12 pixel pipes. The other question is what kind of monitor you got? If you have an LCD and are not going higher than say 1280x1024 then you should be OK with that card. Your 3.1Ghz P4 is just right for either card as well.


Most X850Pros are unlockable to XT's, I helped djBon2112 do it to his card when he got it a long time ago (it was a BBA one)
 
Certainly ones bought and sold last year were. The suspicion most of us have however are the new ones currently being sold over at ati are laser bridge cut and not unlockable back up to 16. I certainly hope I'm wrong as I'll be getting an x850pro myself if that's the case. ATI only started shipping this new batch of x850pros last week. We're all sort of watching this thread and awaiting the first report from the x850pro buyers.
 
That kinda sucks, but it kinda doesn't matter. After unlocking my Pro, I had to spend about $50 to get a new cooler for it (the stock Pro one is woefully inadequet), so it's probably easier to just either buy an XT or leave it as Pro anyways.

Anywho, the pro is decent in and itself, before I unlocked it it could play most games fine. It was bought last December.
 
Yeah the gpu cooler debate is another one. For the x800xl it doesn't seem that even a Zalman VF900 would help too much, especially on that R430 core. However, certainly the r480 core is much more OC friendly. Either way you do end up spending a pretty penny on a decent after market cooler. Sadly, sometimes your gpu temps will drop 10ºC or more yet it does not translate into a better OC.
 
Back
Top