• Great friend of mine with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    https://athleteoftheyear.org/2026/keenan-a856

X800xt-PE + 2405FPW = ?????

Sparrow_69

Gawd
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
776
I'm currently running an A64 3000+ @ 2.4ghz with an x800xt-pe oc'ed to x850xt-pe speed. Since I just ordered a 2405fpw, I'm wondering what kind of gaming results I'll be getting with my card at the lcd's native res (1920x1200). I can easily find benchmarks of the x800/x850 series card at 1600x1200, but I'm having trouble finding widescreen benches. Anyone out there running a similar rig, what kind of results are you getting? I really only plays FPS on my pc, so I'd be interested in results for games like HL2, D3, CoD, Far Cry, MoH, F.E.A.R. I've already finished most of those, but it will atleast give me an idea of how fast the system will be. I am considering upgrading to a 7800gtx, but I would have to change the mobo + cpu since its an s754 with AGP. Would the switch be worth it?
 
I would say that for FEAR, Doom 3, and maybe FarCry you will want a 7800GTX to get the desired results at that res. Whether or not its worth it is up to you.
 
I'd say that you probably won't be able to max everything at 6x AA in FEAR for certain, maybe BF@ too. Doom3, I dunno, probably about 2x/4x AA. HL2 you can probably max, Farcry is probably in the same situation as Doom3, the quality settings can be max, but the AA won't be.

A 7800GTX (and 2GB) would for the most part be able to max everything through BF2 and FEAR, but beyond that I dunno.

This thread will be usefull to me too, since I am also planning to get a 2405FPW in the near future (right after watercooling and a new case).
 
I can tell you straight up that you'll struggle in newer games, because the X8xx series only has support for a 2.1-2.2 megapixel frame-buffer, which the resolution of 1920x1200 exceeds. Best bet is either get a 7800GT/X, or halve the resolution, i.e. play at 960x600 with as much AA and AF as you can manage :D
 
I second the suggestion for a 7800GTX. At that resolution, the ati cards take a dump since they're too outdated to handle that res.
 
I have a similar rig, and a 2405fpw.

Everything is very playable with AA + AF on, only Doom 3 did I have to turn down AA.

Its a great moniter have fun, and there are S754 PCI-E mobo's out there.
 
Back
Top