• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X800XT available on NewEgg...NOW

Okay, those are $500 MSRP cards at a few dollars south of $600... comon guys, they'll be obscelete in 1-2 years anyway!

I am AMAZED at how well my GeForce3 Ti500 (overclocked) runs Doom3...
Only drawback is the DX9 features (e.g. flame blur and stuff) don't work...

But damn! I thought spending $300 on a GeForce3 was insane back in '01!!!!

Why are people still buying them? Give it another month or two and they will be cheap, and wait until about Christmas time and there will be a new generation of cards, and your $580 pearl will be about $400 and will only decrease... Just wait for the next gen card.

It's not as if you need anything that good right now... half life 2 won't come in time...
 
Just a few months ago the 9800XT was 500 and was like that since it's release a year before. The only reason it's dropped is because of the trickling X800's coming out.

The truth is these cards may lower in price by next year but it most likely won't be a significant drop. Of course the introduction of PCIx may change all that.

As has been said before, if you want bleeding edge you pay.
 
krizzle said:
Okay, those are $500 MSRP cards at a few dollars south of $600... comon guys, they'll be obscelete in 1-2 years anyway!

I am AMAZED at how well my GeForce3 Ti500 (overclocked) runs Doom3...
Only drawback is the DX9 features (e.g. flame blur and stuff) don't work...

But damn! I thought spending $300 on a GeForce3 was insane back in '01!!!!

Why are people still buying them? Give it another month or two and they will be cheap, and wait until about Christmas time and there will be a new generation of cards, and your $580 pearl will be about $400 and will only decrease... Just wait for the next gen card.

It's not as if you need anything that good right now... half life 2 won't come in time...

The GF3 was $400 when first released, in mid-2001. Same for the Ti500.

Who are you to tell someone what they need? I dont like slide shows, and like to play with options turned up. I also dont like jaggies, and like the use of AF. You cannot use either in any new game, with playable (to me) framerates. Lots of people have LCD's too, with a default res of 1280x0124, or 1600x1200. Trying playing any new game in that res with your GF3.

Dont want to come off as sounding mean, because thats not my intention. But different people have different needs. Just becuase the GF3 works fine for you, doesnt mean it will for others. I happy with my 9800XT, untill I got Farcry. It put the hammer on my system, with the settings I like to play with. The game made me upgrade, and Im glad I did.
 
fallguy said:
The GF3 was $400 when first released, in mid-2001. Same for the Ti500.

Who are you to tell someone what they need? I dont like slide shows, and like to play with options turned up. I also dont like jaggies, and like the use of AF. You cannot use either in any new game, with playable (to me) framerates. Lots of people have LCD's too, with a default res of 1280x0124, or 1600x1200. Trying playing any new game in that res with your GF3.

Dont want to come off as sounding mean, because thats not my intention. But different people have different needs. Just becuase the GF3 works fine for you, doesnt mean it will for others. I happy with my 9800XT, untill I got Farcry. It put the hammer on my system, with the settings I like to play with. The game made me upgrade, and Im glad I did.
I do agree what you say, but I'm not telling anyone what they need. I'm just saying, wouldn't it be better to just wait a couple of months when the next gen cards come out, possibly with 512mb?
And yes, I was pretty fond of playing everything at high settings back in the day, so I know where you're coming from. I spent so much time looking for a GF6800u when I went on my trip to the states. I was truly dissapointed when I left without buying one. But at this point, wouldn't it be better to just wait a little and pre-order the next-gen cards at MSRP prices, get lucky like those few who actually got the 6800s and X800s when they just came out? Well, you don't have to agree... and the argument is you can always wait... but if you are willing to get a $600 card now, you obviously want the best. And it really hurts when you get it, and in a month it is no longer the best... e.g. when GeForce 4 came out and I wasn't that cool anymore...

No hard feelings.
 
I'm sure no one is overly offended. It just read weird because it was like "Whoa.... happy with Doom3 on a GeForce3?!!" My Radeon 9700 days are numbered. It was a good relationships but alas... I must be moving on. Just a couple more months and we'll depart.

Not knocking your rig or the fps and detail you can tolerate... but damn you think with the rest of your system it would be whispering in your ear while you sleep. "Psst... graphics card time." :D
 
krizzle said:
Okay, those are $500 MSRP cards at a few dollars south of $600... comon guys, they'll be obscelete in 1-2 years anyway!

I am AMAZED at how well my GeForce3 Ti500 (overclocked) runs Doom3...
Only drawback is the DX9 features (e.g. flame blur and stuff) don't work...

But damn! I thought spending $300 on a GeForce3 was insane back in '01!!!!

Why are people still buying them? Give it another month or two and they will be cheap, and wait until about Christmas time and there will be a new generation of cards, and your $580 pearl will be about $400 and will only decrease... Just wait for the next gen card.

It's not as if you need anything that good right now... half life 2 won't come in time...


that x800xt is a special edition put out by powercolor, it should cost more than the SUGGESTED price


they are in limited quantity, they are going to cost more.
 
The only special thing I see is it comes with a backback, hitman and CZ.... for $90 more than a visiontek x800xt-pe..
I ordered a Visiontek X800XT-PE for $500, then cancelled after they said they would only ship it in 2 months... That has VIVO as well, nothing special.

But true, their limited quantity adds a premium. That's kinda what I argued above.
 
thrawn42 said:
Just a few months ago the 9800XT was 500 and was like that since it's release a year before. The only reason it's dropped is because of the trickling X800's coming out.

The truth is these cards may lower in price by next year but it most likely won't be a significant drop. Of course the introduction of PCIx may change all that.

As has been said before, if you want bleeding edge you pay.

I guarantee the price will drop... Also the 9800xt is crap now... who in there right mind will buy that at 400 when you can get a 6800gt for less?????
 
texuspete00 said:
I'm sure no one is overly offended. It just read weird because it was like "Whoa.... happy with Doom3 on a GeForce3?!!" My Radeon 9700 days are numbered. It was a good relationships but alas... I must be moving on. Just a couple more months and we'll depart.

Not knocking your rig or the fps and detail you can tolerate... but damn you think with the rest of your system it would be whispering in your ear while you sleep. "Psst... graphics card time." :D
I know, man, I know. At least you realize what I'm going through. It's like an anchor for me. I just couldn't get the x800XT or 6800u in time, I only had 2 weeks in US where I buy my comp parts...
But I threw out that Doom3 part cos I was amazed myself! I NEVER THOUGHT such gameplay would be possible... I'm a max settings @ more than 60 frames type of guy, but you know, I run D3 @ medium 800x600, (no AF/AA, duh) and it is incredibly playable for a (nowadays) $40 card! MAD PROPS TO id.

You know, when GeForce3 was announced, it was at the Mac convention, steve jobs did it. And id showed the FIRST FOOTAGE EVER of doom3 on the GeForce3, on a mac running what was back then a beta of OSX. It's a piece of history, I think.
 
The only reason these card prices will drop in the next year by any significant amount (100-150 USD +) will be if another card that is more powerful is released. Therefore seeing as the PCIx versions are the only things on the horizon for the time being, I doubt it.

And just to be clear, I'm referring to MSRP not these gouged bits of nonsense. Of course they'll drop down once availability no longer is an issue.
 
Damn PCI-E gotta ruin it for us AGP folks... They should first learn to use AGP8x fully before focusing ALL THEIR BUSINESS on PCI-E...
I really hope they don't forget the fact that most gamers will STILL USE AGP and there is a bigger business for it now...
 
Don't worry - these will probably show up on Ebay before the day is over.
 
Back
Top