X800XL or 6800GT

jarman said:
Guys,
Read the [H]ardOCP review of the X800XL. The X800XL tops the 6800GT.
X800XL vs 6800GT

Is it just me, or does anyone else NOT like the way these reviews are done. Comparing different resolutions and different AA/AF settings for different cards doesn't give me an accurate representation of exactly how much faster/slower one card is compared to the other.

I'd prefer to see tests run at equal settings for all cards. I know that some cards allow you to raise the res a bit, and have equal performance, but how does that help benchmarking?

And in this case, they even raise the resolution on the GT, but disable AA and AF, and compare it to a lower res run on the XL with AA/AF enabled!?!?!?

Doesn't provide any definitive answers for me.

....and now I'm veering dangerously off-topic :eek:

Yeah, they changed their MO a while back to try to break out from the benchmarking norm and to try to show what a card is capable of in real-world games.

Here's the link to their article, "Cheating the cheaters"

Darknyt said:
Yeah, they changed their MO a while back to try to break out from the benchmarking norm and to try to show what a card is capable of in real-world games.

Here's the link to their article, "Cheating the cheaters"

wow, that's cool. That helped me see exactly what they are trying to do. If I want to know which card runs BF2 at 1280x1024 8xaa/8xaf the fastest, I'll go somewhere else. But if I want to know which card delivers the most consistent framerate at optimal settings & resolution (which is how most of us run our games), I'll check out [H]ardOCP.

I still like to see "apples to apples" benchmarking, but this article helped a ton.

sarbz said:
wow, that's cool. That helped me see exactly what they are trying to do. If I want to know which card runs BF2 at 1280x1024 8xaa/8xaf the fastest, I'll go somewhere else. But if I want to know which card delivers the most consistent framerate at optimal settings & resolution (which is how most of us run our games), I'll check out [H]ardOCP.

I still like to see "apples to apples" benchmarking, but this article helped a ton.

hardocp occasionally will throw in apples to apples comparisons as well as their new method.

either or i'm probably still gonna get the X800XL....
unless i don't get this discount then i will probably get the 6800GT

the discount will be the deciding factor

renegadez said:
I'm still waiting for the quote but from i heard as an employee he gets somewhere around 30-40% off

still not positive yet

My brother-in-law used to get free Nvidia (and I think ATI) cards when he worked for Seagate.

I used to always wonder why he had video cards laying all over the place. lol

Then the prick quit. Bastard.

:)

If you can get an X800XL at 30%-40% off then that would be a no-branier, IMO.

Arklight said:
My brother-in-law used to get free Nvidia (and I think ATI) cards when he worked for Seagate.

I used to always wonder why he had video cards laying all over the place. lol

Then the prick quit. Bastard.

:)

If you can get an X800XL at 30%-40% off then that would be a no-branier, IMO.

man...if i had that job i would never quit...that would be my life...

yeah originally i was trying to find out if the X800XL was practically equivilent to the 6800GT thats all...

renegadez said:
originally i was trying to find out if the X800XL was practically equivilent to the 6800GT thats all...
Yep, they're quite equivalent.

I believe the x850's are very similar to the x800's. An X800XT/PE performs roughly the same as an X850XT/PE. The 850 has higher gpu/ram clocks, so it's a tad faster.

The approximate match would be a 6800Ultra, although the x850xt/pe is faster.

Isn't there a 6800ultra extreme?

Back