• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

x800pro -> x800xt mod questions/help

Valiant

n00b
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
2
So about 2 or so weeks ago, I performed the standard pipeline unclok to go from 12 to 16 pipelines...
I have a sapphire x800pro vivo (1.6ns ram) so the bios I flashed to was the latest sapphie x800 xt bios (is the ati x800 bios better?), with core/mem speeds at 520/560, I found that it was overheating (running a benchmark like aquamark or 3dmark would crash), and one time I had artifacts showing on my desktop... I had to go down to about 485/485 in order to be stable and not have too many artifacts in games...

However, even at 475/450 (the x800 pro default speeds) i still see these graphical errors in games (benchmarks, bf, cs:s - lines coming out of certain objects). ATITool reads out an idle temp of ~45°C and high 60s / low 70s in graphically demanding games.

Now, some things are unknown to me, such as, the core/mem voltage (is the only way to check this with a multimeter, or is there some application?).

I currently have an x800 silencer 4 on the way to help some of the overheating problems; what I am wondering is, if overheating is the cause of the these artifacts. Because I have seen many posts on forums with people achieving 520/560 and stable with their stock hs/fan.

Actually, I am not really sure what artifacting looks like... but I do have a screenshot of what's happening, this one is from CS:S, sometimes they appear, sometimes they don't:
http://users.eastlink.ca/~valiant/de_dust20000.jpg
 
when you switched out the bios, did you check to make sure that it enabled the other 4 pipelines? when i did my bios flash, i used the gigabyte 16 pipe bios, then reverted back to the original ati one.. now i run my card at 545/585 with no problem, stock cooling
 
I would suggest flashing it again using the gigabyte bios. However one particular bios isnt better than any other for overclocking or general usage, it's a myth. Your card can only handle what it can handle. Remember mileage varies when it comes to overclocking. Did you use ATI tool to verify that the extra 4 pipelines were unlocked? If so I would underclock the card until you find speeds that your card can handle. A XT PE running at pro speeds is still one fast card.
 
Yes, ATITool says that there are 16 pipelines active...

With a bit future testing, in BF, when at 500/500 I see lots of artifacting, when i went down to 475/450, there wasn't any...

... but I swear that there artifacting in CS:S when i was at 475/450
 
Well my friend you have a modded pro that cannot handle XT or XT PE speeds. All is not lost. You have a very good card with 16 pipes enabled!
 
Almost sounds like you had a defective pipeline. And there's no going back from that. Hopefully that isn't your case. I'd be willing to bet your ram is still capable of the 560 XTPE clock, just the core can't handle it. Do some testing.
 
You can go back to 12 pipes as long as you *either* use a gigabyte bios with 12pipes and the gigabyte flasher, or the modded atiflasher with a pro 12pipe bios.

Rage3D forums has more info on this

D.
 
Back
Top