x800pro or gt

empower64

Limp Gawd
which is better im buying it wendsday and need an answer.ati just seems to work best for me but i know that hte gt has more pipes. what do u guys think?

GT hands the XL it's ass on a platter in OpenGL, specially Doom3.

Ye pays yer moneys and yer....

no contest 6800gt every time...I've owned both cards and the gt is faster and the eyecandy factor is way above the radeon cards....

6800GT is faster than the X800PRO, but around the same speed as X800XL. The 6800GT comes in both PCI-E form and AGP, while the X800XL comes only in PCI-E.

It's your choice.

6800GT = around $400
X800PRO = tad bit over $400
X800XL = around $300

ScHpAnKy said:
You mean the X800XL?
Damn, these model numbers are confusing. :eek:
I'm sure he means the XT. The XL uses the XT core but the XL is a lower clocked version of the XT. The XL is about $100 less than the 6800GT.

Derrict said:
I'm sure he means the XT. The XL uses the XT core but the XL is a lower clocked version of the XT.
The XL also uses a .11nm fabrication process.

Sc4freak said:
Isn't the X800XT faster than the 6800GT?

6800GT is faster than X800 PRO, but loses to X800 XT in some areas. Not sure abt the X800 XL though.

Uh, the X800XL won't be out until at least February. And even then, it'll be PCI-Express only until probably sometime in March. So if he's buying Wednesday, I don't think he'll be interested. ;)

The X800XL is about the speed of the GT in some areas but loses to the GT in quite a few instances. It's the X800XT that's on even ground with it. And in a quite a few cases the XT is a bit faster. And of course the X800XT-PE is on par and in many cases superior to the 6800Ultra.

The X800XL in stock form is NOT faster than the 6800GT nor is it it's equal. If the X800XT is it's equal and it's faster than the XL then how could it be the 6800GT's equal? Especially when the X800XT and the GT are about the same speed. Teh X800XL is a lower clocked version of the X800XT without the molex connector.

The X800XL is only faster in Farcry and in Half Life 2. Not in anything else. Although it's surprisingly close. Bang for the buck the X800XL is the better card, but not technologically and not feature wise.

Additionally, the X800XL's appeal is all about being close to the 6800GT at a lower price point. For the enthusiest it offers great performance for the dollar and has OC'ing potential.

Well in the hardocp review the x800xl won out in all but two of the games used so I wouldn't say it's not the 6800gt's equal performance wise.

gordon151 said:
Well in the hardocp review the x800xl won out in all but two of the games used so I wouldn't say it's not the 6800gt's equal performance wise.

Thing is, it wins a little bit in some places and loses BIG TIME in Doom 3 (and thus all future games on the Doom 3 engine... remember how many Quake 1/2/3 engine games there were? :eek: ).

The x800 XL is VAPORWARE right now, children. And the claimed MSRP has no bearing on what the street price will be. ATI claims the x800 XL will be out in February. They also claimed the x800 XT would be available in the middle of last year, and they are STILL hard to find in stores.

The XL is a great deal... IF it becomes available anytime soon and IF the price is at the claimed $300 point. Of course, 6800 GT prices have also been dribbling downward, and the XL is only better than the GT when it is $100 cheaper.

Bottom line is, both ATI and nVidia are greasy liars about availability and prices.

CastleBravo said:
Thing is, it wins a little bit in some places and loses BIG TIME in Doom 3 (and thus all future games on the Doom 3 engine... remember how many Quake 1/2/3 engine games there were? :eek: ).

The x800 XL is VAPORWARE right now, children. And the claimed MSRP has no bearing on what the street price will be. ATI claims the x800 XL will be out in February. They also claimed the x800 XT would be available in the middle of last year, and they are STILL hard to find in stores.

The XL is a great deal... IF it becomes available anytime soon and IF the price is at the claimed $300 point. Of course, 6800 GT prices have also been dribbling downward, and the XL is only better than the GT when it is $100 cheaper.

Bottom line is, both ATI and nVidia are greasy liars about availability and prices.

The reason if loses big time in Doom3 is the same reason why the 6800 loses bit time in HL2. Both games are sponsored by either ATi or nVidia and thjerfore have been optimized for their particular architecture.

BloodRayne said:
The reason if loses big time in Doom3 is the same reason why the 6800 loses bit time in HL2. Both games are sponsored by either ATi or nVidia and thjerfore have been optimized for their particular architecture.

Except that the 6800 GT *BEATS* the x800 Pro in HL2, too. Oops. ;)

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjkyLDI=
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjkyLDM=

Let's see... x800 Pro loses big in Doom 3, and loses (a little) in HL2. If ATI had HL2 optimized for them, they should ask for their money back. :D

Ok, but ATi did make a mistake selling a 12pipe card for the price of another 16pipe card. Also I was talking about the X800XL not Pro because of the 12 to 16 pipe difference.

BloodRayne said:
Ok, but ATi did make a mistake selling a 12pipe card for the price of another 16pipe card. Also I was talking about the X800XL not Pro because of the 12 to 16 pipe difference.

And I'm mostly ignoring the XL because it is vaporware. IF the thing is ever widely available and IF retailers don't hike up the prices because of poor availability, then the XL will be a hell of a product. Right now, it is just some bullshit that review sites got to play with... and remember how they got to play with the x800 XT-PE 9 months ago, and you still can't find that fucker on store shelves? :mad:

Sir-Fragalot said:
The X800XL is about the speed of the GT in some areas but loses to the GT in quite a few instances. It's the X800XT that's on even ground with it. And in a quite a few cases the XT is a bit faster. And of course the X800XT-PE is on par and in many cases superior to the 6800Ultra.

The X800XL in stock form is NOT faster than the 6800GT nor is it it's equal. If the X800XT is it's equal and it's faster than the XL then how could it be the 6800GT's equal? Especially when the X800XT and the GT are about the same speed. Teh X800XL is a lower clocked version of the X800XT without the molex connector.
I agree that the GT is a bit faster in the majority of games but I would hardly call the GT equal to the X800XT. Just like the GT is faster than the XL in the majority of games so is the XT compared to the GT.

X800XL looks to be a great card, with performence close to the GT and a price around 3000SEK (thats about 430$) in Sweden, the GT is almost 1000SEK (140$) more.

What about the looks of the output from the gt as well as the 2D. I have a 9800 pro and it just looks so much warmer and text is way clearer than any NVIDIA card I have had before it and believe me I have used almost all of them (tnt2, geforce, geforce2, geforce 4).

jloutz said:
What about the looks of the output from the gt as well as the 2D. I have a 9800 pro and it just looks so much warmer and text is way clearer than any NVIDIA card I have had before it and believe me I have used almost all of them (tnt2, geforce, geforce2, geforce 4).

I have an nVidia 6800GT and i have no problem at all with text clarity. And in all the reviews i've seen involving image quality comparisons, the X800's and 6800's are the same.

Apple740 said:
They are equal, according HardOCP's own review:

Comparing performance directly to the GeForce 6800GT PCI-Express we found that performance goes back and forth between games. Some are faster on the X800XL, and some are faster on the GeForce 6800GT.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzAw

Cards that exist always outperform those that don't. Win: 6800 GT. ;)

Incidentally, the title of the topic is "x800pro or gt," meaning 6800 GT, and the winner between those two is the 6800 GT. Pretty much all the benches and game tests say so. Faster at HL2, faster at Far Cry, WAY faster at Doom 3... what's left to argue about? The x800 XL, if we ever see it, and if it is priced at $300, is a 6800 killer for sure, and puts the 6800 GT in a tough spot. BUT... it is an ATI graphics card release. You will be waiting until at least March to get one, and it will be marked up $50-100 by retailers because supplies will be so low.

CastleBravo said:
Cards that exist always outperform those that don't. Win: 6800 GT. ;)

:rolleyes:
Maybe you should see anandtech's news of 6800gt PCIe report too (the x800xl competion)

Between the Pro and GT...get the GT

Incidentally, the title of the topic is "x800pro or gt," meaning 6800 GT, and the winner between those two is the 6800 GT.

Not if the Pro is a ProVivo, which can easily be flashed to 16pipes. It's indeed "stupid" when someone buys a "normal" Pro nowadays, while ProVivo's are in good quantity's out there.

Apple740 said:
Not if the Pro is a ProVivo, which can easily be flashed to 16pipes. It's indeed "stupid" when someone buys a "normal" Pro nowadays, while ProVivo's are in good quantity's out there.
Indeed stupid when someone buys a normal pro huh? How about 6000+ 3DMark05 stock cooled with a "normal" pro? Last I checked thats better then an XT PE and GT.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=853079

jloutz said:

I had BBA 9800pro and moved on to 6800gt, didn't notice any quality difference in 2d whatsoever.

TehQuick said:
Are u saying that's a norm? there are GT's that oc to Ultra Extreme speed and beat any GT and XT-PE.. but they are very few
Not in 3DMark05 ^_^

I say go with the Gt more piplines and you can oc it to ultra with no problems.

Apple740 said:
Your's is special. :cool: ;)

Btw, have you tried a hardmod to 16pipes yet?
Yea tried it about 4 months ago =( took about 40 minutes to solder a thin string of wire between the two contact points, when I flashed it still said 12 pipes, but I got mad artifacts, I redid the solder job but scratched the tips of the points this time, same thing. Just bad pipes =( it's doomed to be 12 pipe forever.

hmmm welll looks like everyone is saying the 6800gt is faster, but if i got a x800pro vivo how much of a risk is the flash?

I have an older silencer, can anyone tell me if it would fit on an x800pro?

Edit: Sorry meant to start a new thread

I would say the 6800GT.

There is less and less of a chance every day of flashing a x800 PRO VIVO into an XT (PE). Some manafactures include 2.0ns RAM on the pro vivos so It can't OC high enough for XT PE speeds. Also some laser cut the extra 4 pipelines, so no flash.

ATI has better FSAA and AF, and immage quality from what I hear.
But I would still go for the GT, unless you can get a x800 XT (not PE) for cheep.

Back