x800pro concerns/questions

GENET1CS

n00b
I am using a Shuttle SN41G2V2 :D, Athlon XP 2600 @ 1.9ghz (dont know why its at 1.9, most people have it at 2ghz :( ) , x2 256 ddr pc2700 from crucial

When i was running the ATI demo "Crowd" i noticed my card was going to 60c after just 1 min of running the demo. Is 60c still in the realm of safe opperating temps or should i try to cool it a little more.

Also after running 3dmark 2003 demo i got a score of 4864....which seems low to me. any reason for that or is it that some people have the full version so it gives them more tests to run =\

Thanks in advance :D

edit: If someone one could suggest a decent vga cooler that isnt the size of a small country that would make me sleep easier at night

as far as your 3dmark 03 score yes that does seem very low for an x800. i have a 9700 and i score about 5600. make sure in properties and advanced that you dont have AF and AA set in that menu. it could be you are running 6x aa and 16x af while running that and its causing you to get a lower score. the options in that menu are what count even if you tell 3dmark you dont want those 2 things on at all.

also get some decent airflow out of your case and i think that should keep you from having to worry about another vga cooler. Im not sure if your x800 is overclocked or not but if it isnt and your pulling 60c i wouldnt even sweat it. Ive seen those cards get huge overclocks and still function fine. as long as you dont notice artifacts or anything while gaming and your computer doesnt restart or anything im sure your fine.

Something's wrong. Because my X800Pro stock and right out of the box on a non-overclocked Pentium 4 3.0C I got about 9k on 3DMark03. With 4.5Catalyst drivers.

Update your chipset drivers. I saw an increase with some new drivers on my Intel rig. If you don't already have the 4.6 Catalyst drivers you should get them. Next make sure you've got the 330 build of 3DMark03. (You probably already checked that but hey I'm covering the bases.)

thanks guys. everyoen i asked was telling me the same about the temps. Better safe than -400 dollars ^_^

as for 3d mark.... i have the latest build and the newest cat's 4.6 im going to try updateting my nforce drivers from nvidia instead of shuttle and see what happens.
I do have the card set to quality instead of the default setting. so ill fiddle with that.

thanks for the help :)

update: after changing a few settings i got a score of 8674 =\ dont know what to do

That looks about right for your system. I would have thought it to be actually lower. Anyway that's pretty good. Be happy, it's all about the games anyway.

Back