• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

x800 vs. 6600GT

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 20, 2002
Messages
4,834
Well I was going to get a x800xl but that seems pretty expensive right now especially with new gens coming out. But I can get a refurb x800 for $140 or a 6600GT for $129 with rebates. So can someone clear this up for me:

An x800 with a Core 392MHz and Mem 700MHz beats out a 6600GT with Core of 500MHz and Mem 1000MHz? Really? Can someone toss me some bechmarks? I was looking and I couldn't find anything that great.
 
Thanks that was a good link,
Since there is a 1100pt difference between the x800 and the x800xl does anyone have a good fps comparison? I just basically don't want to buy something thats practically the same as my 9800, I'm done with AGP.
 
Well, the X800XL is set in competition with the 6800GT, and the two are going to stay relatively even in price. Drop a level and you have the X800 vs. 6800. While the 6600GT can come close, the X800 is the better buy. You must remember that each card's core has a totally different design, and frequency doesn't exactly equate to the performance level. It's the same as a 2.4GHz AMD64 performing better than a 3.6GHz P4.

Here's a great review on the cards (googled it, you should too :p).

What interface (AGP/PCIe) are you looking to buy? If you're going PCI-e, get this X800. It's $200-$30 rebate = $170. It's a little more expensive, but you get 256MB of memory instead of 128 and the memory is GDD3, which has a much higher ceiling when overclocking. 128MB is starting to become a minimum for some games, so it's always good to future proof yourself a bit.

If you're staying AGP, the X800s get a little espensive, so I'd recommend getting a 6800. The 6800 is a good performer at stock, but since the AGP version has the chance at unlocking 4 more pipelines and one more vertex shader (for a total of 16/6), it can really fly. Add in that they also overclock great, even when unlocked, you can hit the performance of a 6800GT or higher.

Anyway, those two are my recommendations, hoped it helped and good luck getting a new card :cool:
 
Which is the AGP X800 that can be unlocked to XT ? the Pro ? Is that possible still ? Theyre only 225$ @newegg right now.
 
Looking at pci-e.
What about x800 128mb vs. 256 is there much or any real difference? Especially vs. a 6600GT
 
I'm only 50 points shy of 4000 in 3Dmark05 with my 6600GT. They are also fairly good with overclocking.

Just in case there are skeptics, here's the link to my futuremark score:

3978 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1138764

Oh, it really looks like it's much less than just 50 points shy, oh well. :D

Can someone, not using phase change cooling, post the results of an X800 or X800XL?

Besides a great 3Dmark05 score, I'm getting pretty fantastic gaming experiences. I really don't think you'll go too wrong with a 6600GT. Also while at lower resolutions (1024x768), I'm getting great HDR and SM 3.0 performance in tests (including the Luna demo from nVIDIA designed to show off these features on a 7800GTX), while not many games currently use these features it will be something to consider next year. Hence the reason the R520 will support those features for example.
 
the 6600gt is 8 pipes with 128mb interface-- its very fast for a 8 pipe/128 solution --but a x800pro or xl is much more powerful .

as far as unlocking the x800's --it is not easy because the pci-e's chips are binned and the x800 ram is diffrent than the xt's . the agp x800pro was easy to unlock but the pci-e is more difficult due to lazer cuts and poor yeilds on the cores.

you can softmod a x800pro to xt In pci-e)--but it only takes about half the time because that some of the pro chips have only 12 working pipes and unlocking the 4 non working pipes is not helpful.

since a pro cost about as much as a xl anyways--just get the xl--

you might be seeing some killed deals on ati and 6800's soon the way things are going. :cool:
 
HighTest said:
Besides a great 3Dmark05 score, I'm getting pretty fantastic gaming experiences. I really don't think you'll go too wrong with a 6600GT. Also while at lower resolutions (1024x768), I'm getting great HDR and SM 3.0 performance in tests (including the Luna demo from nVIDIA designed to show off these features on a 7800GTX), while not many games currently use these features it will be something to consider next year. Hence the reason the R520 will support those features for example.

What kinda fps are you getting? In whichever games you play
 
Guess I'm a noob on turning on a feature that shows the rates.

One game I really like is HL2 and while it defaulted to medium on the details and whatnot when installed, I maxed them out to high along with 4XAA and Anisiotropic filtering and still have real smooth play. If someone can tell me the method, I'll tell you the numbers.
 
In HL2, go to the console and type cl_showfps 2

I don't think he's asking about Pros or XL's, but more sub-$200 cards. Like I said, the X800 I listed is a great deal. And yes, 256MB is a must if you're buying a new card. Games are starting to fully utilize 256MB of onboard memory: textures are getting larger and sharper and more people are using AF/AA. I would def spend the extra $20-30 and get double the RAM. Be aware that the X800 is probably one of the few mid-range cards that could really use the extra memory.
 
damn the refurb x800 I was looking at was $140. Anyone know where else I could find a x800 under $160 more like $140-150?
 
HighTest said:
Can someone, not using phase change cooling, post the results of an X800 or X800XL?

X800XL score in sig. 5666 in 3dMark05. Using a regular ATI Silencer for cooling, but even with "stock" cooling I was significantly over 5k.
 
Glow said:
What kinda fps are you getting? In whichever games you play

In Half Life 2 at 1024x768 with all details on high, water set to reflect all and 4XAA and 2XAF, I receive between 100-142 fps during the Nova Prospekt segment. Rarely, it drops down to 78 fps when in other segments, but it's very brief. cl_showfps 2 really varies rapidly, so it'd be nice to have it develop an average.

But as you can see, it's "smooth" for me.
 
HighTest said:
In Half Life 2 at 1024x768 with all details on high, water set to reflect all and 4XAA and 2XAF, I receive between 100-142 fps during the Nova Prospekt segment. Rarely, it drops down to 78 fps when in other segments, but it's very brief. cl_showfps 2 really varies rapidly, so it'd be nice to have it develop an average.

But as you can see, it's "smooth" for me.
What about in that system fps test what do you average/ Source too? Do you have BF2?
 
The reason the x800 is better is because (simply) they have more pipelines.
6600GT -> 8 pipelines
x800 -> 12 or 16 pipelines, depending on which model.

The x800 can run a slower clock rate beacause there are more pipelines to do the job, whereas the 6600GT has less pipelines and a higher clock rate to keep up.

In saying that, the 6600GT is a good card, in either AGP or PCI-E configuration. It performs well in the latest games, and it benches quite high (8000+ points in 3DMark03 for me, need to download 3DMark05 to really test it). And, it overclocks really easily, so bringing it up further in the performance stakes is rather easy.

If you can get an x800 cheap, you should. But if you can't, you won't be too disappointed with the 6600GT :)
 
When would you guys imagine 6800s might start to drop in price and if you do what price range do you think they'll be in?
 
Right now PCI-e 6800's are ~$200 on newegg. 6800GT's are $260. Prices will probably keep going down steadily, maybe have a bit of a drop around Christmas. However, the 6800's that are PCI-e cannot be unlocked, although they do have 256MB of memory. This X800 is still the best buy at $170.
 
Back
Top