x800 Series Artificating in UE3 Cleared Up?

garro1

n00b
I'm really tempted to jump on the x800 XT PE AGP deal but one thing concerns me.

I remember there was a statement released from Epic that said the x800 series had some really bad artifacts because it only has 24fpp versus the 6800 series 32fpp.

Was this problem ever cleared up? I really don't want to bit the bullet on the deal and end up not being able to use the card in what will be the most used engine of next generation.

Although the UE3 engine obviously benefits sm3.0 and state of the art cards I imagine you will be able to run a game reasonably (although lacking visual features) with said card.

The whole Tim Sweeney quote:
"Unreal Engine 3 works best with 32-bit floating point, but supports 24-bit floating point. Currently there are a few cases where minor artifacts are visible with 24-bit floating point. As shaders grow more complex, these will likely be amplified. But even with 24-bit precision, the scene quality looks far higher than, for example, Unreal Engine 2 scenes rendered with 8-bit-per-component precision."

There doesn't seem to be anything to "fix" in UE3. It's designed as a fp32 engine with backwards support for fp24 cards, much like a DX9 game usually has a fall-back path to DX8.1 or DX7. ATI (sooner) and Intel (later) will support it by the time UT2007 or other UE3 games come out. If full quality is important to you, wait for a fp32 card.

Back