x800 PRO performance Vs 6800 GTs'

{NcsO}ReichstaG

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
1,768
Hey,

Yes I know that question has been asked a million times and yes the 6800 GT has more pipelines than the x800 PRO. I know, I know. However, say I get watercooling then-

1) what is the chance of flashing successfully a ATI (brand) x800 PRO to x800 XT {I just care about estimates or experiences}
2) If I do flash and unmask the pipelines- Is it possible that the unmasked pipelines perform worse than the pipelines say on the- 6800 GT, which already came with a standard set of 16?
3) Say I was able to flash successfully to the x800 XT. Which will be faster- a watercooled 6800 GT @ 430 Mhz/1200 Mhz or faster OR the FLASHED x800 PRO >> x800 XT also watercooled?

Oh yeah- Theoritically say I play different types of games-not just HL2 or Doom 3.
 
considering HL2 and Doom3 are the 2 most video intesive games right now...if it handles them...itll handle the rest
 
well u would definetely get the gt core to about 450... and the memory around there where u specified.. and the x800 to xt.. which would be fast.. but i think u shouold look at x800xt vs 6800ultra benchies and decide because this is a similar situation....
 
Your chances of unlocking the extra pipes are excellent if the card is a X800pro Vivo. I have seen very few cases of defective pipes or failed attempts. Many who have tried not only unlocked the extra pipes but achieved XT PE speeds as well. The overclocking ability of any card you get of course will vary. I also have heard nothing but good things about the 6800GT. Either way the gamer wins, except when you meet me online. ;)
 
if you can get the pipes unlocked...and there is no artifacting...and you can get to xtpe speeds...then you can beat an ultra...however, it's by a slight margin...and if you got the GT to 450/1200...the GT would be faster...

personally, I think the GT is the safer bet...no flashing involved...but if you're not afraid of a little bios flashing action...either card will likely give you about the same performance in the end...
 
^eMpTy^ said:
if you can get the pipes unlocked...and there is no artifacting...and you can get to xtpe speeds...then you can beat an ultra...however, it's by a slight margin...and if you got the GT to 450/1200...the GT would be faster...

personally, I think the GT is the safer bet...no flashing involved...but if you're not afraid of a little bios flashing action...either card will likely give you about the same performance in the end...
Interesting core speed you refer to on a GT, considering most GT lose performance after 430 due to only one molex plug to power the beast........

Only down side to the 6800 is the freaking noise and OK 2d.
 
R1ckCa1n said:
Interesting core speed you refer to on a GT, considering most GT lose performance after 430 due to only one molex plug to power the beast........

Only down side to the 6800 is the freaking noise and OK 2d.

where are you getting this "losing performance" stuff from?

what noise? I don't hear mine...and what's wrong with the 2D?
 
^eMpTy^ said:
where are you getting this "losing performance" stuff from?

what noise? I don't hear mine...and what's wrong with the 2D?

You can increase the voltage in the BIOS to 1.4 Volts. I highly doubt that 1 molex connector will not be able to supply enough power. I agree with the post above, ^^ where did you get that information, that the card looses affectiveness due to 1 molex.
 
Very few GT's will do 450 on the core reliably....lots do 400 easily, and a bit more....most people fudge about how stable and artifact free the cards really are, on both sides...


My card does 550/590 and will complete benches...but it gets kinda hot and some artifacts occur...it runs 540/580 all day long though with not a single error or hitch...
 
TheRapture said:
Very few GT's will do 450 on the core reliably....lots do 400 easily, and a bit more....most people fudge about how stable and articat free the cards really are, on both sides...

With water-cooling, whats the chance of me hitting 450? I hit 420 w/ stock cooling. Any personal experiences?
 
{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
With water-cooling, whats the chance of me hitting 450? I hit 420 w/ stock cooling. Any personal experiences?



It's not always a question of temps....voltage! Those 400+ core speeds can take some juice to run stable...
 
TheRapture said:
It's not always a question of temps....voltage! Those 400+ core speeds can take some juice to run stable...

Yes, but I can increase the voltage to say- 1.4 volts or 1.45 volts. Will it be ok with only 1 molex?
 
yes 1.4 is nice to reach ultra speeds... but 1.5 on air on a gt is just crazy with the stock cooling.. nvsiliencer is the answer heheh
 
aZn_plyR said:
yes 1.4 is nice to reach ultra speeds... but 1.5 on air on a gt is just crazy with the stock cooling.. nvsiliencer is the answer heheh
No, I am planning to get (maybe) a Zalman Reserator (or w/e its called) and the add-on to include my videocard into the loop. However, do you think that the NV5 silencer will do the job?
What do you guys reccommend?
And..I assume I can get 1.5 volts out of 1 molex?
 
Back
Top