x800 pro cooling

Not sure if i should post this here or in cooling, but seeing as most cooling topics are CPU-related, ill have a go here.

Any sugestions for a good air cooler for a x800 pro? yea, i know, i wasted my money on a pro :rolleyes: but i couldnt find a XTPE for under 750 ANYWHERE, and the almost 400 dollar difference wasnt worht it for me...anyway...

In the spirit of [H]ardness, im overclocking the lil thing to at least XTPE clocks. Ive done it with stock cooling for just a moment but the temps start to get ridiculous, 70C+ is much too hot for my taste :p

In addition to looking at water & TEC cooling, Ive been looking at the:

Thermaltake Exteme Giant 3

Artic Cooling ATI Silencer 4

&

Zalman ZM80D-HP

for a more cost-effective approach...

Any comments, personal experience, or other sugestions would be awesome, thanks!

Those are all pretty good cooling solutions that you mentioned. You could (if you are good at modding) fit a CPU HSF on the the card. I recall seing someone do that to his card a while back, but I think it was on an older card (9700 Pro-ish), so it might be impractical.

Go with the ATI Silencer. Silencers rock... virtually silent and much better coolers than stock. They also keep the inside of your case cooler.

CastleBravo said:
Go with the ATI Silencer. Silencers rock... virtually silent and much better coolers than stock. They also keep the inside of your case cooler.

ya, im lovin' mine XTpe running in the 50's at 590+ core. :D

you cant hear it run. unless you got a crazy volt mod its sweet!

Don't go with the ThermalTake Giant. From the reviews I have seen, it does next to nothing except make your PC louder with the Aero 4 rip off fan. Go with the Artic Silencer. :cool:

man that extreme giant look pretty nasty for a killer overclock/volt mod. :cool:

thanks for all the input, looks like newegg is gonna get my business instead of the local frys...as they only have the older version of the zalman...they also only had on twinx 1gb pack of ddr 4400....for 370, which was almost 100 dollars more than newegg, so much for shopping :p thanks again!

-Lucid

CastleBravo said:

Yeah, I'd agree. I never used the ATi version of the cooler, but the one for my 6800GT was sweet.

Can't wait until my 6800GT PCI-E arrives, I've got another silencer waiting for it. That being said I never changed the cooling on my Built By ATi X800Pro and that thing OC'ed like crazy.

I also have just ordered a Arctic Cooling ATi Silencer 4 and a x800XT (unfrotunatly not pe because they are hard to find here in england) but i wanted to know what kind of overclock will i be able to get wit4h the ATi Silencer on it? i want to overclock it to PE speeds but dont know if i will be able to get the extra 60mhz on the ram speeds

Wanab said:
ya, im lovin' mine XTpe running in the 50's at 590+ core. :D

you cant hear it run. unless you got a crazy volt mod its sweet!

Is that the highest u can run it stably? I gotta say I'm mighty tempted...

I'm thinking of getting one of those Arctic Cooling ATI Silencers. They look pretty bad ass. I'd probably be better of getting that and overclocking my card rather then trading it for a 6800GT.

Back