x79 vs nf200 tri-sli/CF

code137

n00b
I've already got GTX 580s in SLI but I'm thinking about playing around with a third. I'm curious what type of performance differences there might be between the z68 with nf200 (like the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z) and the new x79 chipset with 40 PCI-E lanes. Similarly if I planned to go tri-sli keplers later what type of differences would the two have?

Something to consider when going 3-way SLI with the cards you have, is to allow for at least 1 slot space between each card to allow them to breathe properly. From my own testing with aftermarket coolers, and other reports on the issue around the web, you might need that to not hit extreme temperatures and experience throttling or crashes. The only 1155 board I know of that allow this is the ASRock Extreme 7 Gen3. This will also require a case with 8 expansion slots and/or extra room to allow for that extra slot.

Last edited:
The Tweaktown test is not at a high enough resolution. Having only 16 PCIe lanes does not start to become an issue until you game with the resolution of at least 3x 1920x1080 monitors while using high levels of AA on no less than 3 high end, (preferably overclocked) video cards. The more the GPUs need to talk to the CPU the more you will need the lanes.

If you have 3 lightnings while gaming on both of your ZR30Ws, or if you get a third ZR30W, then the difference will probably be noticeable.

If you have an add on card that is already using 1 PCIe lane, then this will magnify the discrepancy as your cards in X79 would be running 16/8/8 +1 versus 4/4/4 +1

Thanks for the information. I would order my third ZR30 right now if i thought there was a chance in hell that I'd be able to game on them at 7680x1600 with even quad 580s haha. My two 580s can barely keep up with some of the newer games at 2560x1600, at least when I want to push settings to the top. I did end up ordering an x79 setup though. I was getting ready to order the Asus Maximus IV when I saw the 3930k come back in stock and just said screw it and ordered a new x79 setup.

The only issue I've just recently come to learn about is my cards. I'm running MSI Lightning Xtremes and I found someone on overclock.net that had a similar setup and he's been forced to run tri-sli on a test bench without screwing anything in due to the fans on the LEX's touching in dual slot setups. He ended up having to insert small spacers between each cards to keep them from grinding together. This was all with the Asus Rampage IV Extreme - which is what I also just ordered. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any motherboards with even more PCI-E slots that may allow for a 3 slot spacing between 3 of them?

You might be able to do it with the Rampage IV Extreme using the first red slot, the middle black/gray slot and the last red slot. This will give you 1 slot space in between each card. The black/gray slot in the middle is wired for 8x, same as the last red. I don't know whether or not this setup actually works for 3-way SLI, however.

Thank you for that. I went and downloaded the manual and at first didn't see anything. I then downloaded the earlier manual and found this
sli_rampage.png

So at least according to the first manual sent out with the board it is possible. It was strangely removed in the most recent version though so I'm hoping no one is having issues with that.

There is a HardOCP article somewhere in the last year evaluating the NF200 chipset on an ASUS workstation board..........

I dont remember the results, but it's somewhere in the articles section.:D

Nonetheless, the new X79 Rampage boards run x16-x16 for dual cards and x16-x8-x8 for three way, however they are PCI-e 3.0 bandwidth ready, not 2.0 for whatever that's worth.

There is a HardOCP article somewhere in the last year evaluating the NF200 chipset on an ASUS workstation board..........

I dont remember the results, but it's somewhere in the articles section.:D

Nonetheless, the new X79 Rampage boards run x16-x16 for dual cards and x16-x8-x8 for three way, however they are PCI-e 3.0 bandwidth ready, not 2.0 for whatever that's worth.

Rampage 4 Extreme with 3 Way SLI is x16-x8-x16 if you use the first 3 red PCIE slots. (closest to cpu.)
Only do this type of setup if you're using reference cards or liquid cooling though unless you like toasty fermi.

I have the board now and you can do tri-sli with three slot spacing as mentioned above. However, I haven't really been able to track down any Lightning Xtremes anywhere. I ended up spending the money I was planning to use for the third GTX 580 to build a water cooling setup. I'll probably end up just waiting to see what tahiti and, depending on the time frame, kepler are like and possibly get reference cards with blocks for water cooling this time around.

That is nice to know. The RIVE is one of the few boards that can do 3-way SLI properly with after market coolers then. I settled with the Formula for my X79 upgrade. Excellent board.

Waiting for the new generation of GPUs is probably a good idea, especially when looking at the performance and the overclockability of the 7970.

Back