X79 Still worth investing in?

psyclist

Gawd
Hey guys,

Just picked up a brand new RIVBE for $350, what do you guys think? should keep it or return it? and sell off my current setup for X99 when it drops? any benches of Haswell-E yet?

Compare i7 Haswell with i7 Ivy Bridge, and that will give you a general idea of the % difference in performance for 6-core Haswell-E vs 6-core IB-E. Obviously, the two extra cores of the 8-core Haswell-E will be a large performance boost for multithreaded applications, but that's with only the $1000 CPU.

The answer to that depends entirely on what you do with your computer.

X99 should be just around the bend. I've seen a few pics of Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte X99 boards floating around the internet lately. I know originally I saw Q2 for X99, not sure if it's be delayed since. I'm itching to upgrade, but will probably wait for some benches.
I would really like an 8 core, but $1k is a lot to pony up for a CPU. I may give in and grab up an x79, if I can catch one on a good deal.

The quick answer is, it depends on what you plan to do. I would jump on X99, but DDR4 is still too expensive and "low-speed" compared to similar X79 and DDR3 setups. Also, as you already have a 4930K you wouldn't really notice a huge performance improvement with the extra cores of Haswell-E unless you really use them (and by use, I don't mean gaming).

Personally, I would stay on X79 until X99 gets cheaper, or until Broadwell-E (hopefully with a 10-core unlocked CPU)

Back