• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X6800 still viable?

CaptCanada

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
81
hi all

I currently have an X6800 running at 3.2Ghz on a Gigabyte P45 DS3L ver 2.0 mobo. I also have a 9800GTX+ and 2G Patriot DDR2 800

I am wondering if upgrading the proc to a quad core 1333fsb cpu would be a wise move, considering that the proc is around $280 CDN?

I mainly play FPS and flight sims, with some RTS gaming thrown in for good measure.

Should I A) replace the proc with a quad core? B) replace the video card with something faster with more ram, or C) build a new rig altogether based on an I7 860 proc?

Thanks\
 
Don't spend any more money on LGA775, it's a dead end platform. I'd recommend you go with an LGA1366 based system, with an i7 920. Buy used to save some cash.

Flight sims and some RTS will see a good improvement from a quad, and even more from an i7 quad.

What resolution are you running? The 9800GTX+ (a 8800 GTS 512 / 9800 GTX / GTS 250, same exact thing, just a different label and in some cases clock speed drops/bumps/core shrinks) is still a solid enough card, but it's far from the current high end. If you're running anything above 1680x1050 it might be time for a new card as well.
 
thanks for the reply

i game at 1280x1024, default res of my 19" monitor

was hoping to get a little more life out of the ole girl, but i guess you are right that 775 is a dead platform. no sense upgrading an extinct platform.
 
I would spend my money on a good video card.
a 5850 or 5870 would be a very nice upgrade

If you could get a quad at a good price, I would not rule that out either, but that X6800 should be fine for a long time coming with your usage.

while 775 may be a dead end, its far from dead and I see no reason for a complete upgrade at this point.
 
I wouldn't bother 'upgrading' to a 775 quad for $280.
Especially from a X6800 which despite its age, is still a very good dual-core processor.

The X6800 has a high multiplyer which should help you obtain a healthy OC beyond your current 3.2ghz.
Give it a try.
 
I say just hold on to your money. Playing games at 1280x1024 is not really that demanding, so upgrading your video card wouldn't net you much. The cpu is fine, just overclock it by 400-600Mhz and you should be good for another year or so. Last the ram should be upgraded, go to 4GiB(should $50~ or less). Everything else doesn't need to be upgraded for games. Also to the person who said that the LGA775 is a dead platform, well that is true, but if he doesn't upgrade his cpu for another 3 years wouldn't the new LGA1366 be just as dead and cost him a lot more?
 
Or just find a used Q6600 for ~$100, slap a decent cooler on it for another $30 (Xigmatek S1283) and upgrade the vid card to a 5850. OC the CPU to 3.2 to 3.4.

That'll hold you over for a couple years
 
But if you are looking to update your system... and have a Microcenter near by... they have the q9550 on sale for $169USD, which might work. 8.5 multiplier with stock FSB of 1333. Many people, including myself, have found this to have enormous overclocking potential. An easy bump to 1600 FSB will give you a quad 3.4G CPU.

I'd be tempted to update the monitor / graphics card next, however...
 
thanks for all the replies everyone!

i have my x6800 oc'ed already to 3.2. i was able to get it to 3.4, but the system was unstable, so that is why i have it back to 3.2

After reading these posts, I think I will try and find a) a q9550 proc or if i get a good deal b) Q6600

One more question, is it worth it to upgrade the ram to say 1066 or even faster ram? would I see a benefit or am I limited by my componets, such as the proc, vid card and mobo?

thans
 
Upgrading to 1066 memory is a waste (especially considering ddr2 prices), you're more likely to benefit from another 2 gigs of ram.
 
Hmm, honestly it's up to you. There's really no sense buying more DDR2 at this point - a better investment might be getting Windows 7 which would utilize the 2gb you do have much better. Plus you could then use Win 7 on your new build down the road. If I were you I'd wait a bit and save up for an LGA 1366 i7. Your current computer really isn't that bad.
 
Another 2GB of RAM would probably be nice if you could get it for $25-30. Considering your usage and monitor, I'd say stick with your current setup. I'm running an E8500 and 4770 both at stock on a 24" monitor with similar usage and am still happy. Only big difference in our machines is the extra RAM and that' I'm running Windows 7.
 
Another 2GB of RAM would probably be nice if you could get it for $25-30. Considering your usage and monitor, I'd say stick with your current setup. I'm running an E8500 and 4770 both at stock on a 24" monitor with similar usage and am still happy. Only big difference in our machines is the extra RAM and that' I'm running Windows 7.

I agree. My 2nd gaming PC is a e7300 @ 3.2GHz and it's not hurtng for more CPU power in any games I play and I play all the most recient ones. A 9800GTX+ is plenty for any game at that resolution so no need to upgrade that unless you're going to go with a new monitor also. 2GB of ram can be a bit low with today's OS' and games.
 
Back
Top