x64 or windows xp home edition

danorama

n00b
Im considering getting an X2 3800+ for my next system but i am unsure to which OS i should get, i really have no clue to as which would give me better performance in gaming and microsoft office apps etc.

There is a slight benefit in some apps with x64.....however there are some real limitations in driver support and program compatibility as with any really new OS. I use x64 as my day to day OS and I like it. For me I am willing to shed the programs that no longer work, have full driver support for my components, and am comfortable with the various AV/firewall (biggest complaint issues for most people) out at the moment.

For most people there isn't a huge benefit and can be headaches involved in the switch. It is up to you and there can be issues, although at times I think those issues are blown out of porportion IMO but I still don't recommend people switch who aren't willing to work to find all the things they need to make it run they way they want it to.

the drivers are comeing in quickly from most hardware manufacturers for the 64 bit xp windows. go for it

Check any software you want to run, make sure it's x64 compatible. That's not to say it has to be 64bit software, that's different. Some software will not run on x64, the list is getting short fast.

Then check to make sure all your hardware is good to go with 64 bit drivers, some printers don't have the for example.

If all that's good to go I'd say jump on it. You may have to deal with some driver compatibility issues as they are all "newer".

First check for driver availability, mobos and video are pretty much covered but sound and network driver support could be better. Few digital cameras are supported, also older printers lack 64bit drivers.

If you can get drivers for all your stuff, then go for it, I've been using x-64 for months and I really like it.

Back