X58+Tuniq Tower 120?

johnwillyums

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 16, 2008
Messages
73
Hi Guys. I was thinking about going for the i7 920 + Gigabyte EX58-UD5 + Noctua bundle from overclockers.co.uk.

It occurs to me I can save money on the bundle if I drop the Noctua and use my current Tuniq Tower 120 LED HSF.

Does anyone know whether an a adapter rear bracket for the X58 mobo can be obtained?
I've checked their website and it's not helpful.

Thanks in advance, John:)
 
I've heard they won't be releasing brackets for X58 motherboards. And read it here...http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1367113

I know the Asus P6T and Foxconn motherboards support both s775 and s1366 coolers which is one of the reason I went with the P6T board when I had a Tuniq Tower. So unless you go with one of them you'll have to get a new cooler. There might be more boards that support both, but I haven't really researched it since I bought my setup.
 
Thanks PBY. That's bad news. I noted they have bought out a new tower with a slightly groovier shape but they shouldn't forget those of us who have already invested in this HSF.
That leaves me with a choice of the Noctua NH-U12P or a slightly cheaper bundle featuring a Corsair H50 hybrid water cooler.
Don't know much about the latter. Any comments?

Thanks, John:)
 
The H50 won't perform any quieter or better than a top end AIR cooling heatsink.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that the water in a water cooling system is really just to move the heat to the radiator. Just like the coolant in your car's engine, it just moves heat away from the source to the radiator. Sure, water can absorb quite a bit of heat (especially in the volume used in an entire loop), but once the water's saturated, the loop can only remove as much heat from the device as the radiator can transfer to the air. Since the H50 doesn't have a whole lot of liquid in it (as opposed to a loop with big tubing and a res) and the radiator is only about the size of a good tower air cooler, I wouldn't really expect it to be able to transfer much more heat than a good air cooler. However, it's more flexible and might work a little better since you can exhaust the CPU heat right out the back of the case (though a tower air cooler is usually pretty close to exhausting right out anyway) or pull cool outside air right into it.


Installation of the H50 also requires removing the case's stock 120mm fans as that is where the H50's radiator fan will be placed.

I was looking at the H50 a bit after seeing the deal thread, and found someone saying that they ignored the requirement to blow cool outside air into its radiator, and just set it up so it was exhausting out, and they had no problems with it. As long as you don't have crazy case temps, I would think that would be ok to do, and then you're not completely losing an exhaust fan.
 
There's a whole "heated " thread about the H50! I just read the whole thing and scoured reviews and other forums.
They all seem pretty polarised about whether it's great or s***e. Very differing views.
I am veering toward the Noctua option as a safe choice.

Cheers, John:)
 
The Noctua has received good reviews and it comes with high quality, quiet fans. It doesn't cool as well as a TRUE or Megahalems but if you're not planning extreme OCs, then a Noctua should be just fine for you while still being easy on your ears.
 
Thanks vjcsmoke. Yeah, I've been reading some good reviews of the Noctua.
It seems it's not the best at cooling but sturdier and better quality than it's nearest rivals and does very well against them very quietly.
Not that I'll notice over the noise of my gpu and the 6 cheap 120mm fans in my case. Keep meaning to replace them with something quieter, Sharkoons maybe.
I'm gonna go for the 3.8 GHz bundle I think. Still trying to justify spending so much money on something I don't really need. I'm running a machine that does everything I want fairly swiftly right now.
My finger hovers over the button...:D
 
Back
Top