x58 storage help

master noran

2[H]4U
building a spare rig for video editing and dedicated streaming

x5650
x58 classified non usb 3.0/sata 3
12gb ram

not sure which route to go for storage, I've read m.2 ssd's like the samsung 950 pro can be used for a boot drive which would be ideal for me but it would run at 2x pcie speeds so not sure if its worth it over a sata 2 ssd, sata 3 ssd with a dedicated raid card or perhaps look for a x58 motherboard with native sata 3 support.

any ideas?

not sure which route to go for storage, I've read m.2 ssd's like the samsung 950 pro can be used for a boot drive which would be ideal for me but it would run at 2x pcie speeds so not sure if its worth it over a sata 2 ssd, sata 3 ssd with a dedicated raid card or perhaps look for a x58 motherboard with native sata 3 support.

any ideas?

I'am pretty sure most X58 mobos with SATA 3 support are not done so through the standard Intel RAID chipset but done so via the JMicron controller. It's slower as well compared to the standard Intel RAID Controller.

I would go via 3rd party dedicated PCI-E RAID SATA controller.

I'am pretty sure most X58 mobos with SATA 3 support are not done so through the standard Intel RAID chipset but done so via the JMicron controller. It's slower as well compared to the standard Intel RAID Controller.

I would go via 3rd party dedicated PCI-E RAID SATA controller.

Any affordable recommendation? this is a budget build so not looking to spend a lot

$50 x5650 and had the mobo/ram sitting around

Any affordable recommendation? this is a budget build so not looking to spend a lot

$50 x5650 and had the mobo/ram sitting around

Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations that would be classed as cheap for a budget build, RAID adaptors with good speeds, native SATA 3 out of the box, good support and drivers not really cheap and my preference goes towards ones with BBU. But I have had good experience with the HighPoint RocketRaid 600 series SATA 3 adaptors. Not sure how much they go for in the US. You might check out Fry's, Amazon, Microcenter or Neweggs price on them.

Wait for others to chime in.

Btw nice headphone righ. Had something similar years back. ;)

Well I think you could get pcie x4 speeds with something like https://www.amazon.com/HYPER-KIT-EXPANSION-CARD-M-2/dp/B00ZONEZMM, not terrible to try for the cost $12. So potential walls for sata 2 are around 300mb/s, sata 3 is around 500-550mb/s, and 1 lane of pcie 2.0 is like 400mb/s so a 2x is like 800mb/s and 4x is like 1.6gb/s. Granted these are rough estimates, and depending on what you are doing you may not really notice the difference.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can confirm the 950 Pro works with a PCIe adapter. I'm using one with a cheap $5 ebay adapter on my X58 system. It's significantly faster than SATA 3, especially the gimped SATA 3 that most X58 boards have. Definitely worth it...although it's worth waiting to see if the new 960 Pro/Evo's are also compatible with legacy BIOS systems...if so, those are significantly faster and cheaper as well.

Well I think you could get pcie x4 speeds with something like https://www.amazon.com/HYPER-KIT-EXPANSION-CARD-M-2/dp/B00ZONEZMM, not terrible to try for the cost $12. So potential walls for sata 2 are around 300mb/s, sata 3 is around 500-550mb/s, and 1 lane of pcie 2.0 is like 400mb/s so a 2x is like 800mb/s and 4x is like 1.6gb/s. Granted these are rough estimates, and depending on what you are doing you may not really notice the difference.

The product in your link is for a m.2 to mini-SAS adapter. Are you thinking of putting that into a PCIe to m.2 adapter and then running a 2.5" NVMe drive off of that?

Pretty sure that the OP's motherboard does not support NVMe.

And if it would work, it would probably be easier and just as cheap to get a PCIe to 2.5" NVMe adapter instead of using multiple adapters and cables.
https://www.amazon.com/Funtin-PCIe-Adapter-SFF-8639-Interface/dp/B011YJ7WLK

Either way, it is NOT going to be cheap to go to a super fast SSD setup.

Cheapest thing would be to load the sucker up with the max amount and speed of RAM that will run... 1866-2000 should be possible... and then set up a decent amount of the RAM to be a cache for the SSD.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back