X58 Mini Itx?

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone know when we might be seeing one of these? I can't seem to find anything on the net.

Besides Shuttle :p

I would think that you would start seeing mini-itx format with the Core i5 format more than you would with Core i7. It just seems like a better fit between the two.

I would think that you would start seeing mini-itx format with the Core i5 format more than you would with Core i7. It just seems like a better fit between the two.

Yeah. By the looks of things, Core i5 will be single chip, which is much better for mini-ITX.

Though its certainly not impossible, I'll echo the sentiment of the previous 2 posters and say its unlikely you'll ever see it on core i7. Its a high performance part not designed for this kind of usage, and core i5 is coming soon anyway.

Although it is not really an ITX, this shuttle

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101082&Tpk=x58 shuttle

is damn close to ITX size (if you build for performance over HTPC minimalistics) and has 2x PCIx16 slots....although too close together to SLI vid cards that take up two slots. If I didn't already put a good chunk of money into my zotac itx build, I'd get that barebone and see whatelse I can put in there.

Cool thanks guys. Yeah that shuttle is pretty cool ;) I suppose an I5 would do. I'm mainly looking to build something about the size of a decent book 10x10x3.5 or so. The 3.5 thick and I can get a decent low profile type cooler in there directly getting air from the vents a few mm away. I plan to use this as a laptop extension to carry around in my bag and use it as my portable workhorse. It would be fun and cool. The current quad laptop chips just don't quite par up haha. Guess I gotta wait a little while for this.

That makes good sense. I was wondering how they were gonna try and fit an extra memory lane with the I7 lol. So when they come out this fall or so, an mITX board probably would follow Q1 next year I take it. Hopefully? haha. That would be damn cool.

Last edited:
First Intel p55 ITX motherboard:

Intel DP55WB
It is a budget board without PCI-Ex16 slot.

Very Awesome! It's a start, so that means better ones will follow :D

I knew the turbo boost was going to be enhanced but I wasn't aware to a full 4ghz possibility. This chip would be perfect for the needs of an mITX and for the first time it seems then I probably wouldn't even need to manually OC it. Nice!

The heat would manageable I think. With a decent aftermarket low profile cooler that drops temps a good 10c, plus I probably wouldn't oc it maybe just enough without having to raise the voltage. With a thin case the edges of the cooler would be right up against the vents bypassing the worry of getting the heat out of the case. Kind of like they do in poweramps and such. The 130 watts was a bit concerning though, but even that should manage fine on it's own with a good seasonic 300 watt TFX psu. Hopefully these Lynnfields will have lower power consumption.

Last edited:
How can x58, cpu socket, one ram slot, cpu vrm fit on such a small board. :/

It can't which is why we won't ever see a X58 mITX board. The board Shuttle uses is completely custom and is about 9 inches long.

First Intel p55 ITX motherboard:

Intel DP55WB
It is a budget board without PCI-Ex16 slot.
Where did you read it won't have an x16 slot?

If that's the case, I'm really disappointed with Intel. :(

Hopefully Zotac will keep showing us SFFers some love.

At the IDF 2009 event, Intel showed of the fruition of the platform component rearrangement socket LGA-1156 strives for, by relocating the northbridge to the processor package. On display was the company's newest mini-ITX socket LGA-1156 motherboard that is full-featured, complete with Intel Flexible Display Interface support. Based on the Intel H57 chipset, the motherboard supports Intel Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 processors based on the socket. Its two DDR3 DIMM slots provide dual-channel memory interface.

The sole expansion slot is a PCI-Express 2.0 x16, which can be used for any PCI-Express addon card. Located at the north of the board, the H57 chipset provides four SATA 3 Gbps ports, and requires a small heatsink to stay comfortable. The rear panel sums up the rest of the feature-set, it includes display output via DVI and HDMI, Ethernet, six USB ports, eSATA, and 8-channel audio with optical SPDIF. In the second picture below, it's placed to the left of a mini-ITX G45 motherboard by Intel.

There was also an H57 thread started about this motherboard that contains a link to the original PCWorld.FR article in there. Intel is saying Q1 2010 for the board.

Back