x58 drivers for windows 10?

rudy

[H]F Junkie
I have an X58 evga mobo and I had upgraded to the preview of windows 10 from windows 7 with no problem. However at some point the system became stuck on an older build and did not continue to update. because I was busy I ignored it. However now I have tried to install windows 10 via USB key, the system seems to be able to boot off USB but the windows installer asks me for a driver and will not allow me to continue. Because this motherboard is older I don't even know what I am looking for. And I don't have any CDs for it. But the more important question is what exact drivers would they need since that is vague and is anyone else having similar problems? It is odd that windows 10 installed no problem but now it cannot, did they strip support for tons of drivers out in the final builds? Normally with any version of windows I never need to install a motherboard driver just to get going unless I am dealing with raid. I can usually put that off till the OS is installed.

I know this won't help, but I had no issues installing win 10 on my Gigabyte x58 board.

Is it possible for you to take a picture (with a camera, of course) of the specific screen where the installation process is asking you for some disc or driver? That would help somewhat. If it's asking for a disc or driver at the point where it's trying to see the storage (hard drive or SSD) to install on, those are typically known as the "F6 drivers" which are for the hard drive controller.

If you're trying to install the OS on a RAID setup that could be where there's an issue as well but it's tough to say without more specific info and a picture if possible.

No I am not trying to install on a raid setup just a simple normal computer.

I also want to complain while I am here about MS. So I downloaded the tool to create install media. And it failed with everything I tried. It just said oops something went wrong. Wow that is really informative. If I was not a tech savvy person I would be completely stumped there. Randomly I tried logging to an admin account and it worked. So very nice MS your own product doesn't work on your own Windows 7 OS unless you are logged in as an admin which is insecure and you wonder why you have a reputation for having an insecure OS.

OK so then I finally get a USB key loaded with windows and I run up to put it on the computer up here it fails and I come post this thread. In the meantime I decide because I am excited to try windows 10 to try installing it on another windows 8.1 machine. Well I don't really want to wait for MS to decide its my turn and I do have installation media made so you would think I could use it right?

Nope, I try installing it by booting from the thumb drive and it says.
The computer started using windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that windows starts normally then insert the installation media na drestart the upgrade.

Good grief really? So I do that and nothing happens. So then I go to the USB drive open it up freaking run the setup.exe and what happens? It wont let me proceed without a CD key. No option to skip it like when I boot the computer.

So here I am a whole day after release and I have tried 2 different systems and run into a plethora of problems.

Since most x58 drivers have not been updated for a while I would just stick with the default included drivers.

In this case if you are being prompted for a driver during installation (which must be something new) I would imagine it's the RST drivers. However, that driver should be included with the OS.

Well I was sort of able to correct this. I downloaded the Intel rst driver stuck it in a random folder on a storage drive. And suddenly I was able to get past that initial request. Unfortunately something else happened later. I have now caulked that up to a bad USB drive as I don't really have a better explanation. I was able to install windows 10 pro on the machine with a different USB drive. However this copy of windows would not activate.

I thought those in the insider program were going to get windows 10 pro. This machine was running windows 7 home. then moved to the 10 tech preview where it stopped updating at 9926 (I think). So then I tried windows 10 pro release and could not activate. So last night I decided to just reinstall windows 7. After hours of updates, MS says the machine is fully updated. However I cannot get the GWX icon to show up. So we are back on windows 7 and not even in the queue for windows 10.......
Now I realize some people are going to say it just takes time but just imagine how pissed off a lot of people are going to be when they are forced to install an old version of an OS then try to upgrade to windows 10 and not be able to do it. Or even if I can do it later its just really offputting that it can take several days to get the job done due to the nature of the way MS is rolling this out. BTW windows 7 is activated and running fine.

Do you have an ssd? I do and I was wondering if the upgrade would load the Marvel drivers for their controller for the #6 &7 sata ports... and if that would be something to worry about as I have heard that those drivers or the controller itself can be problematic.

Last edited:
Been running on x58 since win 10 insider started and have had zero issues. ssd's, raids and never any problems.

I thought those in the insider program were going to get windows 10 pro. This machine was running windows 7 home. then moved to the 10 tech preview where it stopped updating at 9926 (I think). So then I tried windows 10 pro release and could not activate. So last night I decided to just reinstall windows 7. After hours of updates, MS says the machine is fully updated. However I cannot get the GWX icon to show up. So we are back on windows 7 and not even in the queue for windows 10.......
Now I realize some people are going to say it just takes time but just imagine how pissed off a lot of people are going to be when they are forced to install an old version of an OS then try to upgrade to windows 10 and not be able to do it. Or even if I can do it later its just really offputting that it can take several days to get the job done due to the nature of the way MS is rolling this out. BTW windows 7 is activated and running fine.

I would just use the media creation tool again, except this time make an ISO, extract its contents to a USB drive or network share manually, and upgrade via clicking setup.exe within Windows. That's what I did with a couple of laptops and the rig in my sig below (also an EVGA x58 system) with no problems at all. Each one of them had a valid Windows 7 install beforehand, and each one activated automatically after the upgrade. I did not have to reserve using the GWX tool before doing anything on any of the machines (also because I found that method takes way too fucking long). Sorry to hear that the upgrade process has been rocky for you so far but hopefully adopting my method will work out for you.

P.S. Don't use the Marvel drivers from EVGA's website after upgrading. They're ancient and caused my machine to BSOD a couple of times. Just stick to Windows Update for that one.

I have not got around to much more but just wanted to mention GWX finally allowed me to reserve a copy late last night.

Back