X58 default IOH voltage and max

sfsilicon

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know what the default IOH voltage is for the X58? I'm trying to see if I can reduce the temperature of the chip by setting it manually instead of using the auto setting.

As far as I can tell there is not just one IOH voltage. There are several subsystems on the chip and each have differing voltages.

Data sheet
http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/320838.pdf

page 211-212 table 15-11 sheets 1 and 2.

I do not know enough about the IOH voltage options in the MSI bios to hazard a guess as to which ones are available for changing.

At first glance it concerns me there are no max values listed. Hopefully someone more familiar with this chip will chime in.

A Google of "X58 IOH voltage" had a few results ( a discussion of a DFI board reinforced my thoughts that there are several that can be tweaked if your bios allows it). The MSI manuf forums might be a good place to check as well.
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=html&name=forum

On all the boards I've played with IOH default has been 1.1v. What temps are you hitting though? The x58 is a cool running chip, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Thanks guys.

My temp is 75-80c. I've heard others hitting as low a 45-60c. The MSI X58 Pro-E has problem with it's IOH heatsink. When I first got mine the temps were over 100c. After reapplying TIM and straightening out the heatsink I'm down to those temps.

I've heard <95c is ok with IOH. My main motivation is to see if I can improve my OC.

I have this same issue with my MSI Eclipse SLI board. I did the same as you with reapplying the TIM, but I went as far as replacing the pushpins holding down the sinks with nylon screws with springs (pain in the rear). My temps are now in the high 60s. I've contacted MSI with this issue, and they claim it to be a non-issue. I searched around for voltage tweaks to fix this temp, but the above poster is right. The IOH needs multiple voltages that are provided by the auto setting.

Also from what I've read, this temp shouldn't be effecting your OC at all. I've watched that temp on my OC to 4.0ghz, and the IOH temp didn't budge.

You may be right about not affecting the OC but still, improving the thermals on that chip can do nothing but good. +500 [H]ardpoints for considering the system/support chip thermals as well as the cpu. Good job guys on [H]ardcore board prep.

This tends to support DrNick, an EVGA board but its OCing utility is reporting voltages that agree with the data sheet, 1.1 for IOH core sure seems to be the default. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1508811
No clue where the max safe point is but the chip includes thermal shutdown like the cpu so some carefull overvoltage should not be too hazardous, 10% would be an additional .11 volts so a total of 1.2 would be slightly less than a 10% bump and while I am just guessing and have nothing to base it on, I think that would be safe. As to if it would help OC etc. I too dont see how it could help but stranger things have happened. Have fun.

IIRC the EVGA Classified defaults at 1.2V so I'd guess the maximum 100% safe voltage would be around 1.25V. 1.1V is the normal default and at least on my ASUS BIOS I cannot go any less.

I'm curious though, with X58 is there any advantage to replacing the stock NB/SB coolers? With the Core 2 it was a good idea because you'd be able to raise the voltages and get a higher FSB overclock. With the i7 I cannot see any advantage.

Back