X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Do the paperclip method for your current PSU, if it turns off/on by using the switch then I'd say it's a very good chance the mobo is defective.

I have a PSU tester buried in my closet somewhere but I also have a brand new PSU I could test with as well. Maybe I’ll try your suggestion.

EDIT: PSU tester was actually sitting on a shelf so I grabbed it and tested - PSU is fine.

Last edited:
I did that with my Strix XE. It is the only reason why I have this board. In a few ways it was better than this DH. It was the B550 DH lol.

Sad face.

Yeah, this worked fine before I tried installing the nvme drive in the bottom slot and I’ll admit, I had lots of problems keep things steady so it’s looking like when something slipped I may have done something. The local Microcenter had 4 of the Dark Hero boards still in stock so I grabbed one and it’s got a 15 day return policy if it somehow does not fix the issue. It was pricey but still about 1/3 the price of building a new replacement with DDR5 RAM. I hated having to go this route but I just can’t justify an upgrade at this time. I honestly don’t remember all the BIOs settings changes I made, but probably not important at this stage. I can probably scan this thread to find what I did before. Lol. Truth be told, this might have been the most stable PC I’ve had.

I have a PSU tester buried in my closet somewhere but I also have a brand new PSU I could test with as well. Maybe I’ll try your suggestion.

EDIT: PSU tester was actually sitting on a shelf so I grabbed it and tested - PSU is fine.
Ah sucks :( that failure of the power on circuit isn't all that rare though. Wouldn't blame yourself unless you think you may have accidentally zapped it.

Ah sucks :( that failure of the power on circuit isn't all that rare though. Wouldn't blame yourself unless you think you may have accidentally zapped it.

I think it was something I definitely did, but not the end of the world. I got the replacement board at lunch and will try to get it swapped out tonight. If one of you guys lived near me, I’d pay you to do it - I hate this stuff now. Lol

I think it was something I definitely did, but not the end of the world. I got the replacement board at lunch and will try to get it swapped out tonight. If one of you guys lived near me, I’d pay you to do it - I hate this stuff now. Lol
Yeah once you've done it a million times it's not fun anymore. I've been delaying my board/CPU upgrade for that exact reason. I've probably had the CPU for 3 months now!

I'd do it but if you live near a Microcenter, that means you would live 3 hours from me at least since that is the closest MC to me.
Wha's the warranty on your board? 3 years? maybe send it in and have a spare if they do warranty it.

I'd do it but if you live near a Microcenter, that means you would live 3 hours from me at least since that is the closest MC to me.
Wha's the warranty on your board? 3 years? maybe send it in and have a spare if they do warranty it.

The warranty seems to be 2 years, so it is out of warranty.

I did swap the board out this afternoon. I'm back up and running. I can research this of course, but anyone want to give me a quick OC tip for a 5950x? I lost all my settings with the old board and I had OCed it 3 years ago. :D

The warranty seems to be 2 years, so it is out of warranty.

I did swap the board out this afternoon. I'm back up and running. I can research this of course, but anyone want to give me a quick OC tip for a 5950x? I lost all my settings with the old board and I had OCed it 3 years ago. :D
Enable XMP for memory and PBO at board settings and leave it alone.

Enable XMP for memory and PBO at board settings and leave it alone.

Yeah, I had trouble with DOCP but then I noticed the BIOS was pretty old so I upgraded and my b-die is working fine at speed now. From recollection, I think on my last board I did exactly that - just enabled PBO and left it alone after hours of tweaking.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had trouble with DOCP but then I noticed the BIOS was pretty old so I upgraded and by b-die is working fine at speed now. From recollection, I think on my last board I did exactly that - just enabled PBO and left it alone after hours of tweaking.
I think the only other thing worth trying is using a slight negative offset on each ccd. Like -15 on ccd0 and -10 on ccd1. Your mileage may vary.

A couple years ago, I got into running that app which calculated per core offsets. I don't think it was worth it in the end. I now have a couple of bad cores on ccd0 that actually need a positive offset if I go that route. At stock, the cpu all core boost is very low, like around 4 GHz. I ended up enabling pbo with some manual settings for TDC and whatnot. Now it boosts like any other pbo enabled chip. I just can't get stock performance. PBO or bust.

In retrospect, I would have just enabled stock pbo at the beginning and left it alone.

Back