X48 or 790i ??

keyth

n00b
Right, I have dicided on a premium mobo and it will be the Asus P5E3 Premium/Wifi@N Intel X48 ........ or one of the 790i ultra boards, so the choice will be based on the pros and cons of the intel or invidia chipsets, It will be used in a gaming rig and be teamed with a e8500 cpu , I have yet to see (unless anyone knows otherwise) any of the tech sites do a side by side comparison so i would be interested on the views of members who own the mobos i'm interested in , My personal feelings are the intel boards are more stable and run cooler , while the only benefit of the nvidia boards is sli

IMO if you're not going SLI, stay away from nvidia chipsets. that, honestly, is the only reason to get an nforce chipset.

x48 if you're not gonig SLi.. if you want SLI, get the x48 and the 9800gx2

the un-[H] suggestion is for you to get the x38 due to the cheap prices of DDR2 and the gx2. and that is solely on the high prices of ddr3;)

x38 / x48 boards are WAY more stable than nvidia boards.. believe me ive tried telling myself its not true 3 times and buying another nvidia board but ive always gone back to intel lol.

if you NEED SLI then go for the 790i but other than that theres no reason to get it

You guys are giving him old news here.

The 790i is holding it's own against the Intel chipsets and in some cases is overclocking better.

The 790i is getting tempting as you can actually pick up DDR3 for around 100 bucks for a 2gb set now.

I know it's early days, but zero issues with my 790i with a xeon quad at 3.6 and two 8800GTSs

I paid $170 AR for OCZ DDR3 1600 (2x1GB)

... but it is true you cannot go wrong with intel. This is also the first nforce board I've owned since nforce 2.

Back