X48 DDR2 or DDR3?

AstroCat

Limp Gawd
Thinking of one of the new X48 Gigabyte boards, either DDR2 or DDR3. But, looking at benchmarks DDR2 and DDR3 are so similiar. Any reasons now or upcoming to go for the DDR3?

Thanks for the help.

I recommend getting DDR2 and when you will buy a whole new configuration,with Bloomfield and Nehalem,then get DDR3!
The answer is simple:eek:n the current configurations,in applications,the difference in performance is too little to make the step to DDR3

I am tending to agree with you. I do notice a P35 to X48 performance increase but not really when x48 DDR2 against x48 DDR3. Am I missing anything about DDR3/X48 for the future? I presume this new build will last at least a year until the Nehalem dust settles.

No point in going with a DDR3 motherboard now. In 12 months, Intel's new architecture will require a new socket so you'll need a new motherboard anyway. At that time DDR3 will be much cheaper and will be a better choice. For now, stick with DDR2.

No point in going with a DDR3 motherboard now. In 12 months, Intel's new architecture will require a new socket so you'll need a new motherboard anyway. At that time DDR3 will be much cheaper and will be a better choice. For now, stick with DDR2.
This guy pretty much hit it on the nail. :)

Went with:

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)

The "T" version and the DDR3 ram was going to be like $385 more, just didn't seem worth it. I barely could justify the X48 over the P35. :) Hope I don't have any buyers regrets not going DDR3.

Went with:

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)

The "T" version and DDR3 was like $300 more, just didn't seem worth it. I barely could justify the X48 over the P35. :) Hope I don't have any buyers regrets not going DDR3.

AstroCat, are you going to need the CrazyCool backplate from the motherboard? If not, I'm interested in it.

AstroCat, are you going to need the CrazyCool backplate from the motherboard? If not, I'm interested in it.

I actually don't think I am, I will be using the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme which has the X back attachment.

Personally, I see little point of getting X38/X48 over the p35 anyway. I don't think you'll see the $100 difference over the life of the motherboard. Of course, I say that and I'm sitting on a Maximus :p.

Personally, I see little point of getting X38/X48 over the p35 anyway. I don't think you'll see the $100 difference over the life of the motherboard. Of course, I say that and I'm sitting on a Maximus :p.

You are correct, if you get a good p35 like the asus p5k premium or the dfi board you will be able to oc better, but if you plan on using crossfire thats a different story.

I always used ASUS Boards and never had a problem since day one and thats going back 17 years.
I'm always worried about Gigabyte Boards because I was told they are slow
in whatever they do.

Someone please put me in the right track?:rolleyes:

The "T" version and the DDR3 ram was going to be like $385 more
You get strabge £ sometimes my T version was £1 ($2( cheaper than the ddr2 one whebn i orderd, this time last week.
need your CrazyCool backplate from your Gigabyte X48T DQ6? If not, could I have it or buy for like $5 or $10? I need a replacement one. Thanks
Not using it , but it's gonna be worth much more than that if & when I sell the board on, sorry:)

This is my 2nd gigabyte board, I find them better quality and value than Asus boards. As an extreme example , look at the heatpipes, & compare this Oohps caused by Asus Adhesive to the Care taken by gigabyte Gigabyte Heatpipes

luck:)

Back