X37SV-Naga LCD/TV VS Westy 37

DouglasteR

Gawd
In Feb a friend of mine is planning to go to US and get a 37 LCD/TV

Since December im sawing lots of happy ppl whit the Westy3, but the 12ms bother me ( even gives me nightmares ) and it dont have tuners

Otherwise the Sceptre has 2 Tunes types, 8ms and it is Black :rolleyes: ( match whit other parts of my rig )

Who is better in the end !?

Thanks for the help :D

Sceptre 37"

Pros
* ATSC and NTSC Tuners
* Digital Audio Out for ATSC ( hidden in the cabinet )
* 8ms Refresh rate
* 1080p for Pc usage

Cons
* Junk bug in some units
* Lack of normal DVI imputs

Westy 37"

Pros
* A bunch of imputs
* No junk bug
* 1080p for pc usage

Cons
* Lack of Tuners
* 12ms

Which one guys ? :(

Actually, it's judder bug in all units. If your friend is going to California, have him set up a meeting to go to Sceptre's factory...they can have you in and out with the firmware fix in about 30 minutes. Also, the lack of normal DVI inputs shouldn't be an issue as Sceptre includes a DVI to HDMI cable in the box.

truffle00 said:
Actually, it's judder bug in all units. If your friend is going to California, have him set up a meeting to go to Sceptre's factory...they can have you in and out with the firmware fix in about 30 minutes. Also, the lack of normal DVI inputs shouldn't be an issue as Sceptre includes a DVI to HDMI cable in the box.

Damn, he is going to NY :(

All units have the bug !?!?! OMFG

How much DVI imputs goes out of the HDMI ??

Thanks for the help, and you forgot to tell what of they you prefer

DouglasteR said:
Damn, he is going to NY :(

All units have the bug !?!?! OMFG

How much DVI imputs goes out of the HDMI ??

Thanks for the help, and you forgot to tell what of they you prefer

Well I don't know how long it takes for Sceptre to RMA the LCD, flash it, and send it back. If he knows people in the area, perhaps they can receive it and send it back to the factory ahead of time so that it will be back when he gets in?

I have no idea what you're trying to say about the DVI and HDMI. There is 1 HDMI connector on the Sceptre, and you can plug either 1 HDMI device or 1 DVI device (using a DVI to HDMI converter) into it. Although both of the Westinghouse's inputs don't support 1080p, you do still get 2 inputs.

And no, I didn't forget to tell you which one I prefer. ;) :D It's really application specific...for instance, if your friend is going to be using the display heavily on his PC, and will be in an area not serviceable by Sceptre RMA (if that is even a possibility), living with the judder bug will be hell, and he should go Westinghouse. Having the tuners is worthless then. Also, is HDTV broadcast OTA wherever he lives? Once again, if he isn't able to use them that's a reason to not go with the Sceptre...

Ah, i forgot something

After reading thousands of pages in the avsforum, its appear that the judder bug can be "fixed" by using 53.3 mhz instead of 60hz normally given from the DVI

Is this true ?!

Because, im already think that 60hz is little, 53 to me is ridiculous ! :eek:

Thanks for the help :p

truffle00 said:
Well I don't know how long it takes for Sceptre to RMA the LCD, flash it, and send it back. If he knows people in the area, perhaps they can receive it and send it back to the factory ahead of time so that it will be back when he gets in?

I have no idea what you're trying to say about the DVI and HDMI. There is 1 HDMI connector on the Sceptre, and you can plug either 1 HDMI device or 1 DVI device (using a DVI to HDMI converter) into it. Although both of the Westinghouse's inputs don't support 1080p, you do still get 2 inputs.

And no, I didn't forget to tell you which one I prefer. ;) :D It's really application specific...for instance, if your friend is going to be using the display heavily on his PC, and will be in an area not serviceable by Sceptre RMA (if that is even a possibility), living with the judder bug will be hell, and he should go Westinghouse. Having the tuners is worthless then. Also, is HDTV broadcast OTA wherever he lives? Once again, if he isn't able to use them that's a reason to not go with the Sceptre...

So then i have 2 options :

Get the Westy and be happy whit 12ms

Get the Sceptre, try to do the RMA fix and pray to never had a problem ( because i live in Brazil, who is 16000 miles away from sceptre RMA department :(

DouglasteR said:
Ah, i forgot something

After reading thousands of pages in the avsforum, its appear that the judder bug can be "fixed" by using 53.3 mhz instead of 60hz normally given from the DVI

Is this true ?!

Because, im already think that 60hz is little, 53 to me is ridiculous ! :eek:

Thanks for the help :p

Yup, 53.307 Hz. And it bothers me too, since I need to use a 3rd party program to get it which (for me at least) is prone to crashing, necessitating a full system restart.

And yes, those are your options. Though I doubt that 12 ms will be so bad...try for the RMA process ahead of time if you can. You seem to be like me in that you'll be forever bothered by the fact that you got the monitor with the higher response time, and every time you ghost and get killed in game you can't help but wonder if that other monitor would have helped you do better...

truffle00 said:
Yup, 53.307 Hz. And it bothers me too, since I need to use a 3rd party program to get it which (for me at least) is prone to crashing, necessitating a full system restart.

And yes, those are your options. Though I doubt that 12 ms will be so bad...try for the RMA process ahead of time if you can. You seem to be like me in that you'll be forever bothered by the fact that you got the monitor with the higher response time, and every time you ghost and get killed in game you can't help but wonder if that other monitor would have helped you do better...

Thanks for the help =*

My really fear is the truth behind the firmware update !

Because i heard someone say that the firmware only decrease the frequency to 53.307, so this "solve" the problem.

Do you have it ? Can you post some pics if is possible !

im so interested in the Naga not just because of the 8ms response time, but because of the tuners !!

Thanks for the help again :p

Hey there truffle! I finally decided to purchase the Sceptre. I ordered it last night! I don't like having to mess with powerstrip, so I checked out avsforum and there was a mention of upgrading the 7800 Go GTX video card drivers to a newer version. I upgraded them (83. something). I am not at my laptop right now so I can't answer that. I was then able to choose add a custom resolution/hz and I changed it to ~53hz and it worked perfectly.

DouglasteR, I was in the same position as you and I ended up going for the Sceptre after very EXTENSIVE research. The Westy and Sceptre both seem like amazing monitors. The main reasons I went with the Sceptre was because of the built in tuners and the lower response time and that I could purchase it from Costco. I wanted a monitor that had it all and this was it. Either way, Westy or Sceptre, I think you will be very happy.

Nocturnal418 said:
Hey there truffle! I finally decided to purchase the Sceptre. I ordered it last night! I don't like having to mess with powerstrip, so I checked out avsforum and there was a mention of upgrading the 7800 Go GTX video card drivers to a newer version. I upgraded them (83. something). I am not at my laptop right now so I can't answer that. I was then able to choose add a custom resolution/hz and I changed it to ~53hz and it worked perfectly.

DouglasteR, I was in the same position as you and I ended up going for the Sceptre after very EXTENSIVE research. The Westy and Sceptre both seem like amazing monitors. The main reasons I went with the Sceptre was because of the built in tuners and the lower response time and that I could purchase it from Costco. I wanted a monitor that had it all and this was it. Either way, Westy or Sceptre, I think you will be very happy.

Great !! Thanks for the help !!

You already received the monitor ? If yes, can you post some pics of it ?!

Did you saw any judder on 60hz !? the craftsmanship is good ? can you post some pics of the HDMI converter ??

Thanks for the help, and post some more impressions :p

DouglasteR said:
Great !! Thanks for the help !!

You already received the monitor ? If yes, can you post some pics of it ?!

Did you saw any judder on 60hz !? the craftsmanship is good ? can you post some pics of the HDMI converter ??

Thanks for the help, and post some more impressions :p

I haven't received the monitor yet. I ordered it from costco.com last night. I have no idea how long it will take to arrive. It hasn't been shipped. Once I do get it and set it up I will be sure to post pics on here and I will answer all of those questions.

Nocturnal418 said:
I haven't received the monitor yet. I ordered it from costco.com last night. I have no idea how long it will take to arrive. It hasn't been shipped. Once I do get it and set it up I will be sure to post pics on here and I will answer all of those questions.

Thank you soooo much =D !

I cant wait :p

DouglasteR said:
Thank you soooo much =D !

I cant wait :p

No problem man. I can't wait either :D I am SOOO excited. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it will arrive sometime next week. OMG, why can't they just ship the thing already. I need a tracking number before I go insane!

I really want this monitor too. It is even currently on sale for $100 off, AND a $100 rebate, which makes it $1499. Incredibly tempting, however, that is a LOT of money to spend on something only to be annoyed that it has that judder problem

=(

That's interesting. I was wondering if anyone had a direct comparison (side by side etc) of the two units. I mean outside of straight rising/falling time how is the colour production between the two units.

I personally like the aesthetics of the cabinet better on the Westinghouse, but learning more information about the Sceptre would be useful.

UnknownSouljer said:
That's interesting. I was wondering if anyone had a direct comparison (side by side etc) of the two units. I mean outside of straight rising/falling time how is the colour production between the two units.

I personally like the aesthetics of the cabinet better on the Westinghouse, but learning more information about the Sceptre would be useful.

Me too :(

I bet if you guys are patient within a couple months the units that are in store and in stock will probably be fixed and maybe even less expensive.

But I know... patience is not always easy to come by in this hobby. lol

Just get the Westinghouse if you can't wait.

April is the time when price drops happen on TVs.

Also, I have never heard of someone coming to America to buy a TV. Cool, but odd to me. How is he getting it back?

Tiny said:
April is the time when price drops happen on TVs.

Also, I have never heard of someone coming to America to buy a TV. Cool, but odd to me. How is he getting it back?

Half of february here on Brazil is holidays :D

So my friend is going to miami ( and NY ) to spend some days whit his family, and here on Brasil, the biggest LCD that exist is an 19 :rolleyes:

So we must get the Scepters !

Anyone knows any store that have it on New York or Miami ? :p

Has anyone actually seen/used this monitor?

I went to Costco recently to look for it, and apparently the retail stores don't carry it. You have to get it online. :( I hope this isn't true, but the salesperson seemed confident about it.

Hello people! I have received my 37" sceptre monitor, and I can confirm that the "judder" bug has been fixed. The monitors that are currently shipping have had the firmware fix so no more judder bug for people who are ordering now! THIS monitor is INSANE! It is so damn big, my neck is already hurting, I don't quite know if that is a good or bad thing yet, lol, I am just drooling over it. Websurfing is awsome. I am sitting about 3ft from the monitor and the text is crystal clear. I love looking up pron on this monitor. Truly a joy (not joking). I played Half Life 2 and OMG, words cannot describe how amazing it was. I can't begin to tell you. I am having an issue with DVD playback though. I am using my laptop to play DVD's and from reading the avsforum, people say DVD's look fantastic on this monitor. However, in my case, that is not true. They look like shit to be honest. I have tried several DVD's and most look like VHS quality. I know this can't be the monitors fault because everything else is amazing. I really don't know what is happening here. I ordered seasons 1-4 of my favorite show (24) and I am dying to watch them on this monitor, but it looks like I won't be doing that for a while. I am seriously on the last straw here. (I have had several minor problems such as the memory timing was set to high and I had to lower it by doing some complicated procedure, and this DVD issue and a few other very minor ones) I have emailed sceptre about these issues and have been searching for help on various other forums trying to figure out what is wrong. I would gladly pay someone a few hundred bucks to come to my house and set the damn thing up properly for me. I just don't know where to look and if they would be able to for the exact setup I have. I am so exhausted from reading forums all day long and searching and asking for answers to my questions. This monitor is more of a chore than it is fun. Another thing I am upset about is the fact that when you change the monitor settings (they can't ever be reset to default). So if you screw up and forget what it was set to before, you are outta luck. I didn't even attach the speakers that came with it because they suck of course, but I don't mind that at all. I am glad they skimped on the speaker instead of the monitor itself. The instruction manual is useless and the menu on the monitor is sub-par. Aside from all the negative, it is one outstanding monitor. If I could fix the DVD issue, I will be keeping it. If not, I will be returning it and buying the Dell 2405fpw. Sorry for all the rambling.

Edit:

Also, the craftsmanship is pretty good. The stand could have been better, but IMO it is damn beautiful. I will be taking pics (if I decide to keep it). Right now I am too angry and might end up breaking things, so pics will be posted later. If you guys have any other questions feel free to ask. I am sure I probably missed something here that someone asked.

^^^ did u try using an actual dvd player with component cables instead of the laptop? just a suggestion

i have the 2405..and honestly unless u use zoomplayer to mess with the resolution on dvds it looks like ass close up..but 4-5 feet away looks decent

bench261 said:
^^^ did u try using an actual dvd player with component cables instead of the laptop? just a suggestion

i have the 2405..and honestly unless u use zoomplayer to mess with the resolution on dvds it looks like ass close up..but 4-5 feet away looks decent

I just tried using a dvd player with component cables which only does 480i and that was actually better than watching movies through my laptop. Damn, I wonder what is going on here.

Nocturnal418 said:
Hello people! I have received my 37" sceptre monitor, and I can confirm that the "judder" bug has been fixed. The monitors that are currently shipping have had the firmware fix so no more judder bug for people who are ordering now! THIS monitor is INSANE! It is so damn big, my neck is already hurting, I don't quite know if that is a good or bad thing yet, lol, I am just drooling over it. Websurfing is awsome. I am sitting about 3ft from the monitor and the text is crystal clear. I love looking up pron on this monitor. Truly a joy (not joking). I played Half Life 2 and OMG, words cannot describe how amazing it was. I can't begin to tell you. I am having an issue with DVD playback though. I am using my laptop to play DVD's and from reading the avsforum, people say DVD's look fantastic on this monitor. However, in my case, that is not true. They look like shit to be honest. I have tried several DVD's and most look like VHS quality. I know this can't be the monitors fault because everything else is amazing. I really don't know what is happening here. I ordered seasons 1-4 of my favorite show (24) and I am dying to watch them on this monitor, but it looks like I won't be doing that for a while. I am seriously on the last straw here. (I have had several minor problems such as the memory timing was set to high and I had to lower it by doing some complicated procedure, and this DVD issue and a few other very minor ones) I have emailed sceptre about these issues and have been searching for help on various other forums trying to figure out what is wrong. I would gladly pay someone a few hundred bucks to come to my house and set the damn thing up properly for me. I just don't know where to look and if they would be able to for the exact setup I have. I am so exhausted from reading forums all day long and searching and asking for answers to my questions. This monitor is more of a chore than it is fun. Another thing I am upset about is the fact that when you change the monitor settings (they can't ever be reset to default). So if you screw up and forget what it was set to before, you are outta luck. I didn't even attach the speakers that came with it because they suck of course, but I don't mind that at all. I am glad they skimped on the speaker instead of the monitor itself. The instruction manual is useless and the menu on the monitor is sub-par. Aside from all the negative, it is one outstanding monitor. If I could fix the DVD issue, I will be keeping it. If not, I will be returning it and buying the Dell 2405fpw. Sorry for all the rambling.

Edit:

Also, the craftsmanship is pretty good. The stand could have been better, but IMO it is damn beautiful. I will be taking pics (if I decide to keep it). Right now I am too angry and might end up breaking things, so pics will be posted later. If you guys have any other questions feel free to ask. I am sure I probably missed something here that someone asked.

Dont worry about DVD, if it is not even 720p it will suck, get some 1080p stuff at windows.com or quicktime.com

Please ! post some pics and an overall impression for it, using as monitor and TV !

:p

Nocturnal418 said:
I just tried using a dvd player with component cables which only does 480i and that was actually better than watching movies through my laptop. Damn, I wonder what is going on here.

it will suck if its 480 anything...go buy terminator 2 extreme edition to see in high res...the one that comes with the pc version, i dunno what resolution it plays it at but its pretty high....it cost me $10

First of all it's not going to look perfect even if you download the WMV demos off MS's site. Those files are compressed and it shows. There is some artifacts visible when you view those files due to the compression.

Example would be the WMV disc on the Amazon documentary. The opening scene where the boat is moving across the water at dawn - clear banding in the sky. Ugly.

Now those files still look a ton better than a DVD - because without any post processing via ffdshow you are basically taking what is already a compressed 720x480 (?) resolution file and spreading it across a much larger screen. So ofcourse: it's going to look like garbage.

Best you can do is load ffdshow and play around, find a happy medium, and then SIT BACK from the screen.

DouglasteR said:
Dont worry about DVD, if it is not even 720p it will suck, get some 1080p stuff at windows.com or quicktime.com

Please ! post some pics and an overall impression for it, using as monitor and TV !

:p

Sorry it is taking me so long. I have had a few issues with the monitor, but they are now finally taking care of. I am still testing this monitor out, so in a few days or so I should have my overall impression and some pics : )

You would have been fine with the 12ms Westinghouse as I notice no ghosting on mine.

Back