x360

air2k5

[H]ard|Gawd
Im hearing that x360 suppose to be the next generation gaming platform that will easily beat out the pc, do you guys thing it will outperform pcs?
then ati is so confident about their new r520 they even invited nvidia to the conference, is there a chance that r520 will be better than the 48 piper the stuck in 360?

Its certainly going to be powerful...but beating my A64+6800GT both overclocked, and especially my upgrade this summer???

Im doubtful...

it will easilly beat you rig and even all the GTX SLI rigs and the PS3 and revolution will too

HighwayAssassins said:
Its certainly going to be powerful...but beating my A64+6800GT both overclocked, and especially my upgrade this summer???

Im doubtful...

It wouldn't suprise me if it did. It is basically a dedicated real time rendering machine. Your computer can do so much more, but not as efficiently. Software is another issue, content creators can concentrate on optomizing the software to the xbox360 whereas they have to make considerations for a myriad of hardware combinations when they write software.

Your box is infinitely more upgradable though, so you can still sleep at night ;)

Console, you play in a beanbag on your TV while eating pizza, cheetos, what ever, drinking your favorite beverage and maybe socializing at the same time.

Computer, you sit in a chair in front of a monitor playing a game that usually requires thinking and you're not normally in a social mood while doing so.

Two different worlds STOP COMPARING THEM. I dont care if it has the power of a military super computer and can launch nukes, its not a damn PC experiance!

The day games failed was when graphics became the only factor deciding what a good game is, truly sad.

...yeah but ..will the X360 have a cup holder that is easily ejectable remotely via the internet ..? :)

TheTMan said:
It wouldn't suprise me if it did. It is basically a dedicated real time rendering machine. Your computer can do so much more, but not as efficiently. Software is another issue, content creators can concentrate on optomizing the software to the xbox360 whereas they have to make considerations for a myriad of hardware combinations when they write software.

Your box is infinitely more upgradable though, so you can still sleep at night ;)
Hm. Point Taken.

the thing about consoles, the hardware may be superior at introduction (or it may not), but it isn't upgradeable like PC's which can surpass it over time, speaking strictly in terms of hardware

software is another topic, it's hard to compare games for consoles and games for computers, one is written specifically for a set piece of hardware the programmer knows everything about, the other is written to run on thousands of different hardware configurations where the programmer has no idea what you are running

who cares if computers are infinetely upgradable, consoles cost less to upgrade each time they come around. you prolly spend about 1.5k each time you upgrade your computer, and pay about one third that for a new console, which at the time has equal if not and usually better graphics than a computer. and at the end of a consoles cycle, the games on them are at least playable, i dont think you can always say the same thing for a computer. In the end all that really matters is the games. Consoles are better for action games, computers are better for fps and rts.

Hyperblau said:
who cares if computers are infinetely upgradable, consoles cost less to upgrade each time they come around. you prolly spend about 1.5k each time you upgrade your computer, and pay about one third that for a new console, which at the time has equal if not and usually better graphics than a computer. and at the end of a consoles cycle, the games on them are at least playable, i dont think you can always say the same thing for a computer. In the end all that really matters is the games. Consoles are better for action games, computers are better for fps and rts.

Computers are infinitely tweakable though, and that is why people like us use them. We like to fiddle with things. If we didn't we would just buy Dells or Alienware all the time instead of building our own computers from scratch.

Erasmus354 said:
If we didn't we would just buy Dells or Alienware all the time instead of building our own computers from scratch.
Clearly you haven't taken a dremel to a Dell recently.

Hatebreed said:

Why would he? No matter how much cutting you did on your dell boxen all you would have in the end was a piece of crap with a buncha holes in it ;)

Hatebreed said:
no mater what you do with dell it will still suck.....
same goes for hp,compaq, emachines and gateway

Does anyone remember when Xbox and Gamecube came out in 2001? They had better looking games than the PCs. Everyone was singing about the death of PC gaming then. PC's caught and surpassed them very quickly. It will be the same with the Xbox360/PS3/Revolution. Initially, they will be able to run better looking games with better AI and physics. In a year or so, PCs will once again establish the lead. I own a Gamecube and Xbox. While I love games like Starfox, Metriod Prime, Rogue Squadron(the reason I bought the 'cube), Metal Arms, etc.....the PC has and will always be my preffered gaming platform. On the whole, I play more games like Far Cry, HL2, and WoW(totally addicted). While there are first class shooters and PRG's on the consoles, on the whole PC games in these genres tend to be much better. If only for the ease of a mouse/keyboard combo.

I don't think the PS2 ever realisticlly competed with PCs.

yea true, but it seems to me that right now we are on the edge of getting next gen gpu, ati is very confident that r520 will be just that, what i mthinking is that once the r520 is out it might be better tahn what x360, ps3 and revolution will have to offer?

The new gen will have a lot better graphics because:

1)the game producers know what hardware they have, meaning they dont have to cut corners with people who have lesser hardware, whereas people with pcs range from the top of the line sli'd gtx's to radeon 9200's and lower..and the producer needs to make a game fit for all
2)the hardware is astounding at the time of launch
3)they have to keep the game running at 30fps only..meaning the graphics can be amazing all the time, because they can push their hardware to the extreme edge of its bounds...

if youre still reading those are a few reasons lol

Mayhs

We hear this every 4/5 years. The graphics on the consoles are excellent, then pc's supersede them, and they look like an Xbox does now to a Geforce 7800 GTX. ;)

http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2005/091905_quake4_2.x

"At this point it's looking like Quake 4 will hit stores within the Xbox 360's launch window. I tried out the first two levels on the console version, the same ones I started with on PC. For all intents and purposes the content and gameplay is identical. While I did notice the occasional texture that seemed a bit lower res on the console version,...."

With only 512MB of ram for both the video textures/vertex data and the game and the OS the Xbox 360 will likely not look as pretty as the PC version of the same game with a top of the line video card. On top of that it (and the PS3) will be bad at non video functions.

If you want to read detail on how the Xbox 360 works here is some good sources:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-1.ars
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-2.ars

==>Lazn

Mayhs said:
The new gen will have a lot better graphics because:

1)the game producers know what hardware they have, meaning they dont have to cut corners with people who have lesser hardware, whereas people with pcs range from the top of the line sli'd gtx's to radeon 9200's and lower..and the producer needs to make a game fit for all
2)the hardware is astounding at the time of launch
3)they have to keep the game running at 30fps only..meaning the graphics can be amazing all the time, because they can push their hardware to the extreme edge of its bounds...

if youre still reading those are a few reasons lol

Mayhs

The newer consoles will have to run at 60fps for the progressive resolutions. 480p, 720p and 1080p.

Unified shader architecture is more advanced than anything they are offering on the PC platform(not sure why??).

if any of u played the dead boxes at E3 that was less than half the performance of the xbox360...so if youve downloaded footage from the xbox360@ E3 that was only half of its power...it just said that on a tv programme in England on Bravo called Gamer TV...
when seeing what the dead boxes could do...its gonna be mighty for 6 months...then pcs will topple it over as usual

Back