X360 HD-DVD guy looking to get setup with PS3

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
I currently own an X360 with the HD-DVD add-on ..I have a few HD-DVD's and a buttload of X360 games right now

I like my high def and so I am thinking about getting a PS3 mainly for the Blu-Ray player , but will probably end up getting a few PS3 exclusive titles as well .. There aren't any PS2 titles that I would be interested in except for maybe God of War..

I also like the fact that you can fold on the PS3 , so It will be doing its share for the cause..

My question is , what model should I go for and what peripherals should I acquire to mainly watch Blu-Ray movies first .. perhaps some internet browsing second (if you can do that with a PS3) ..and playing a few gaming titles thirdly ..

Does Sony or any stores offer a "Multimedia" type package or the like? ..are the advantages of the 80GB unit over the 40GB unit worth the extra $100? ..are prices coming down anytime soon on the PS3 consoles?

Being a noob to the PS3 scene .. I'm not sure I even know what questions to ask to know what it is I really need...(or want I should say as nobody really "needs" a gaming console :p)

As long as you don't care about playing old PS2 games, the 40gb SKU is the best deal.
It's got everything you need. Watch BD movies, play games, wirelessly connect to the internet, fold, etc...

For peripherals, you might want a remote. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PlayStation-Blu-ray-Disc-Remote/dp/B000M17AVO

For playing games, you might buy a dual shock 3. Lots of upcoming games offer full support.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I should probably add that the Dualshock 3 currently is NOT available in North America [assuming this is where you are from]. Currently we are stuck with the rumble-less Sixaxis. You can spend $60 for an import version of the controller, otherwise you're waiting until its Spring release like the rest of us.

Find a 60gb one..

Has everything you need for anything.

Gaming is only his third priority. At that rate, it will be a while before he burns through the current PS3 catalog. Let alone the amazing 2008 lineup. It depends if he thinks spending $100 for Motostorm and the ability to play old PS2 games is worth it. I'd save the money and get a DS3 controller. Or pre-order MGS4 :)

edit:
Also I hate to say it, but the 60gb is a "first year" design. I wouldn't be surprised if long term, they're less reliable than newer models.

40 GB is all you need. Best Buy basically has a 10 BR movie free deal going right now also i believe. 5 free instantly, and 5 free with the mail in rebate.

Pick up the BR remote for it also, its a cheap 20 bucks.

There is nothing missing from the 40GB model that will hinder your multimedia experience.

Go for the 40GB. It's got everything you'll need for BD's and web browsing.

the bestbuy extra movie deals exclude PS3 and pc drives the vast majority of the time
but unless you know yur gonna play a old ps2 game or 2 just get the 40gb and save the $100

Thanks for the replies so far ..

Is the P3's hard drive upgradeable like the 360's? ..can you plug in an external drive to the PS3 for extra storage?

Can you surf the internet with a PS3?

..from what I have been reading .. pretty much any keyboard and mouse setup should work (USB) .. any recommendations for particular wireless models? ..something big and heavy for couch use is what I'm looking for I suppose ..

I have a fairly small living room in my house using an Olevia (sp?) 37" 1080i LCD for my TV ..so range on anything isn't a real big factor on wireless or bluetooth devices

thanks again for the input guys :cool:

yes u can upgrade the internal HD with any 2.5" sata drive
and u can also use an external drive as long as its formated fat32

I bought a 20GB off of eBay. $330 shipped. Saved me $96 for not buying a stripped down 40gb for $399.99 + tax at retail. I'm also able to replace my old PS2 phat, which was kind of a biggie, and saves me room on my TV stand.

Didn't need wireless as I have a gigabit network running from my entertainment center, and I plan on installing a 250gb or 320gb drive in it next week, so the size of the drive was a total non-issue.

I know everyones pushing you for the 40gb, but it wouldn't hurt you to peek on ol' ebay. Theres plenty of 20/60 models around for good prices, the lack of PS2 emulation was really what put me off the 40gb

OT: And if anybody is looking for a benchmark disc to show off their setup, I must recommend Kingdom of Heaven: Directors Cut, it's ridiculously awesome in the Sound and Video department.

If you are just using the PS3 for Blu-Ray's and a few games, you don't need a bigger HD, so don't even worry about it.

I have a 60 GB, four games, 10 Blu Ray movies, and I've used like 4 GB of the HD.

You can surf the net on it, yes, but the browser isn't the best.

The 40 GB version even comes with Spider-Man 3, so you get a Blu Ray movie for free right out of the box, and one that does a good job showcasing Blu Ray.

As for my own personal benchmark disc to really show off the power of Blu Ray, I recommend Rataouille, definitely... or hell, anything by Disney is golden. Considering Amazon has every Disney Blu Ray for $19.99 a piece, I would *definitely* recommend getting all three Pirates movies as well as Rataouille + Cars.

I read in another thread that the PS3 won't upscale regular DVD's on any type of connection except HDMI ? ... are they selling the units with an HDMI cable yet? ... I don't suppose the one for my 360 would work for the PS3 as the connection to the console itself is probably different ..?

If I get a PS3 , it will be hardwired into my network and connected via either component or HDMI to an LCD that only does 1080i/720p .. any problems with upscaling regular DVD's on this particular TV?

[F]old|[H]ard

I read in another thread that the PS3 won't upscale regular DVD's on any type of connection except HDMI ? ... are they selling the units with an HDMI cable yet? ... I don't suppose the one for my 360 would work for the PS3 as the connection to the console itself is probably different ..?

If I get a PS3 , it will be hardwired into my network and connected via either component or HDMI to an LCD that only does 1080i/720p .. any problems with upscaling regular DVD's on this particular TV?

[F]old|[H]ard

PS3 and other DVD players will only upconvet over HDMI and DVI (X360 can over VGA also), its a DVD Forum rule. PS3 doesnt come with a HDMI cable, you can use your HDMI cable from your X360 on your PS3. A HDMI cable is a HDMI cable.

PS3 and other DVD players will only upconvet over HDMI and DVI (X360 can over VGA also), its a DVD Forum rule. PS3 doesnt come with a HDMI cable, you can use your HDMI cable from your X360 on your PS3. A HDMI cable is a HDMI cable.
ah cool ..thanks for the clarification

A couple of questions....

Is the BR player in a PS3 a full-capability, fully-featured BR player? My understanding is the XBox HDDVD player skimps on a few features, such as Dolby HD (or something like that).

Secondly, is Wireless standard on the PS3 ?

Thanks for the replies so far ..

Is the P3's hard drive upgradeable like the 360's? ..can you plug in an external drive to the PS3 for extra storage?

Can you surf the internet with a PS3?

..from what I have been reading .. pretty much any keyboard and mouse setup should work (USB) .. any recommendations for particular wireless models? ..something big and heavy for couch use is what I'm looking for I suppose ..

I have a fairly small living room in my house using an Olevia (sp?) 37" 1080i LCD for my TV ..so range on anything isn't a real big factor on wireless or bluetooth devices

thanks again for the input guys :cool:

Yep, the internal hdd is upgradable with any 2.5" hdd, or a 3.5" if you buy the adapter. Externals work fine too as long as they're fat32.

It has a built in browser for internet usage, but I've not used mine much so I'm not sure how compatible it is with various websites. You can always install Ubuntu or other linux builds and use firefox. Installing Ubuntu on a PS3 is easy, and you can set it to either boot into the PS3 interface or straight into linux.

The only peripheral you'll need is the remote control, a lot easier than using the controller for movies. The only other is a second controller possibly. Wireless networking is built in. :cool:

Is the BR player in a PS3 a full-capability, fully-featured BR player? My understanding is the XBox HDDVD player skimps on a few features, such as Dolby HD (or something like that).
The PS3 can't send a TrueHD track to your receiver for decoding - it will always decode and then send the PCM to the receiver. This isn't as bad as the 360's HD-DVD limitations, but can be annoying for serious HTPC folks.

It also doesn't support DTS HD, period, from what I understand. Again, probably not something most people will notice.

On the whole, though, the PS3 is one of the best Blu-Ray players.

Secondly, is Wireless standard on the PS3 ?
It is now. The 20gb PS3s don't have it.

PCM 5.1 or PCM 7.1 > DolbyHD/DTS-HD anyway. All of the receivers that I've seen that can do the HD formats can do 5.1 PCM anyway. Still, it's a point worth noting if for some reason your receiver will do one without the other.

Back