X299 Motherboard Recommendation for i9-10900X?

I looking at building a workstation based on an i9-10900X processor for some simulation code that needs both high single threaded CPU performance and memory bandwidth (4+ memory channels) with at least 8 cores. Fast memory might help with the simulations I am planning and I might overclock the memory. Some of the simulation codes were likely compiled with Intel's MKL.

Does anyone have any motherboard recommendations for the i9-10900X?

D-EJ915

[H]ard|Gawd
I like my MSI Creation board so since you didn't seem to be doing heavy OC their cheaper Pro board should be fine I would imagine, I've not used it personally though.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/X299-PRO without 10G card
https://www.newegg.com/msi-x299-pro/p/N82E16813144275?Item=N82E16813144275

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/X299-PRO-10G with 10G card

Asus is fine too and has a few new models designed for the 10 series X processors which have better vrm and overall design.
prime https://www.newegg.com/asus-prime-x299-a-ii/p/N82E16813119213?Item=N82E16813119213

MSI and Asus based on my experience have the best XMP settings out of the box if you intend to use them.

If you need PCIE Bifurcation then Asrock is the only one that really has that in the bios.

Prices on the boards get a bit absurd when you get to the mid-to-high end.

Last edited:

Dan_D

[H]ard as it Gets
The X299 MEG Creation board was awesome. ASUS' X299 Prime Deluxe II and X299 Prime Edition 30 are also good. I reviewed a bunch of X299 boards, but frankly they've been around for long enough that I don't remember a whole lot of them. The ones I mentioned are ones I remember specifically, or have had recent experience with.

Repo79

n00b
I recommend Evga X299 mobo's they have worked well for me and the service they provide in my experience has been great. I'm currently looking at getting another as well for my new build I have under way

German Muscle

[H]ardness Supreme
EVGA X299 Dark, Asrock OC Formula, or whatever MSI board you like. Avoid Gigabyte. Their X299 bios is literally trash and they are very poor at OC. Though after using x299 dark it puts all of them to shame.

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
I looking at building a workstation based on an i9-10900X processor for some simulation code that needs both high single threaded CPU performance and memory bandwidth (4+ memory channels) with at least 8 cores. Fast memory might help with the simulations I am planning and I might overclock the memory. Some of the simulation codes were likely compiled with Intel's MKL.

Does anyone have any motherboard recommendations for the i9-10900X?
So high single thread performance and at least eight cores. So if it is at least eight cores does that mean there is more advantage to more cores? Also high single core performance is relative to the task. That is some very specific CPU task that seems to match all of Intel's marketing materials. What software are we talking here?

Monstieur

Limp Gawd
I have the EVGA X299 Dark and MSI X299 Creation for an i9-10900X. The X299 Creation is far more feature rich and both overclock the CPU to 4.9 GHz all-core. The X299 Dark does one CL lower on the memory overclock. I would get the newer MSI X299 Creator which exposes all 48 lanes of the i9-10900X. The X299 Dark only exposes 44 lanes.

The MSI X299 boards don't explicitly support PCIe bifurcation, but if you enable VROC on a PCIe slot and don't configure a VMD, the individual drives are accessible in Windows. I don't know if the X299 Dark does the same.

German Muscle

[H]ardness Supreme
I have the EVGA X299 Dark and MSI X299 Creation for an i9-10900X. The X299 Creation is far more feature rich and both overclock the CPU to 4.9 GHz all-core. The X299 Dark does one CL lower on the memory overclock. I would get the newer MSI X299 Creator which exposes all 48 lanes of the i9-10900X. The X299 Dark only exposes 44 lanes.

The MSI X299 boards don't explicitly support PCIe bifurcation, but if you enable VROC on a PCIe slot and don't configure a VMD, the individual drives are accessible in Windows. I don't know if the X299 Dark does the same.
x299 dark does support bifurcation and VROC raid on m.2.

Also keep in mind the extra lanes of a cascake lake x cpu are reserved for the NIC upgrade in all boards that support the extra lanes.

Monstieur

Limp Gawd
x299 dark does support bifurcation and VROC raid on m.2.

Also keep in mind the extra lanes of a cascake lake x cpu are reserved for the NIC upgrade in all boards that support the extra lanes.
Neither EVGA nor MSI support bifurcation outside of VROC. If you attach 4x NVMe drives without enabling VROC, only the first drive is detected. If you enable VROC on the PCIe slot but leave it unconfigured, the individual drives are exposed by the VROC driver under the VMD controller (not the drives' native NVMe controllers). Bifurcation without VROC can be enabled by modding the BIOS yourself.

The additional lanes in Cascade Lake-X are used for the M.2 slot on the MSI Creator X299 - the 10 GbE NIC is still attached to the PCH.

D-EJ915

[H]ard|Gawd
Yep was talking to Monstieur over on evga about it, if you install the VROC driver you can use the drives but it is VROC and not native bifurcation which Asrock supports, Asus does too (on my R6E and R6A) but theirs is called Hyper M.2 data mode or data/only hidden in the CPU storage section.

Using the VROC driver is alright but annoying since you shouldn't have to in order to do it that way. If you want to use something besides NVMe storage then you'll need actual bifurcation so the MSI and EVGA won't work in that case.

I asked MSI and EVGA if they could add bifurcation to the bios, MSI said they didn't plan on doing it (wow great) and EVGA said they could not.

Last edited: