• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X25-m G2 for Intel SRT?

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 11, 2001
Messages
12,830
I'm considering upgrading to a Z68 motherboard and I'm wondering how well my 80GB X25-M G2 drive would work with Intel Smart Response Technology.

It seems like a great idea since only being able to have a few games on the SSD gets old and is a bitch with steam and having to make symbolic links, etc.

I'm worried about killing the drive since it's MLC obviously, but at the same time I was planning to use the max 64GB value for the cache, so hopefully stuff wouldn't be shuffled on and off the drive too often.

Anyone else here using SRT already with an MLC drive?
 
I ended up going forward with this config. I guess time will tell if using SRT with an MLC drive eventually causes any issues. Performance is absolutely excellent.
 
A friend of mine is using the same configuration, older 60 gig drive. It works great and the speed is very very good. However, I think he has issues when he breaks the SRT raid. See the way I think it supposed to work is that if say the SSD were to die or fail, the data would still be on the hard disk, and you would only lose speed. However, in his configuration, the HD won't boot by itself if the SSD is missing or has no power simulating a failure.
 
It has two modes, enhanced and maximized. In maximized mode there is an increased risk of data loss but I'm not sure how big of a deal it really is.

I've already had a few BSODs trying to push my overclock farther and every time at the beginning of the next boot it does some sort of special process where it reconstructs the cache from the SSD and attempts to correct any potential data loss. Unless I was modifying a system file or something when it happened I'm not sure what the risk really is.
 
I think that is great, and I'm sure thats how it is supposed to work. When his system gets a BSoD, he has to reinstall windows 7. It might be his motherboard though, or the driver installation or something else.
I have been waiting for this to work well, like you are experiencing so I can hook up my wife and son with a z68 and small ssd instead of trying to manage ssd OS drives on their systems....
 
Back
Top