x2 Opteron 6128 build no post :(

HeXeD

Limp Gawd
I'll try to make this long story short.

I received a Asus DGPE-D16 and 2 Opteron 6128 (8 core) from the egg. Along with it I also purchased 32G of regular DDR3 (which the board supports), a Rosewill server case, and a 750W Antec Earthwatts.

I put together everything and powered it on and I received no post. No beeps, just fans spinning. I have to either flip the off switch on the PSU or unplug the PSU to shut it off. The power button is not functioning at all beyond the point of turning it on.

I finally put the mobo on the box it came in, and with 1 CPU connected and 2 sticks of ram, the computer posts with no issue. When I add a second opteron 6128, along with another 2 sticks of ram, I get absolutely no post as described above. Here is what I tried to troubleshoot:

1. Made sure that my second processor was functioning correctly by putting it into socket 1. It boots up with no issue so I can safely say that there are no real "problems" with the CPU.
2. I have a 550W power supply that I changed out the earthwatts for. I figured it is 200W lower than my earthwatts, but right now I am only worried about posting. This is with minimal ram, no HD's connected, no fans connected. Just 2 processors, 2 sticks of ram, and the power switch plugged into the mobo. It still displayed the exact same issue.
3. Checked the second socket for bent or stray pins. I seriously spent 15+ minutes going through this thing with a magnifying glass and a flash light. I have very good vision so I was able to see that every pin appeared to be perfect.
4. I checked to see if there are any jumpers on the board that could affect the 2 cpu's from posting. None that I could find
5. Checked the mobo with a magnifying glass for burns, capacitor buldges, etc..etc. It looks perfect.

So I called up Asus support. After going round and round with motherboard support telling me that they cannot help me until I "look hard enough" to find the serial number because the one I am giving them is not a real serial number. Once I spoke with a second person I asked them if there was a difference between motherboard support and server motherboard support. He said most definitely and transferrred me over to server support. They got all the troubleshooting info and then issued an RMA. It was supposed to be shipped overnight (standard for server motherboards). The guy that shipped it out acidentely did it ground so I complained and another tech sent ANOTHER motherboard overnight.

Well it arrived yesterday and the first thing I did was put it on the box, and attempted to boot the motherboard with 1 cpu. 1 cpu worked with no issue. posts beeps and everything. When I installed the second cpu, I get absolutely no post. WTF!!!! :mad:

So what do you think? What is the most likely culprit? I have been doing this for such a long time that I could probably build these things blindfolded (of course I didn't though) so I highly doubt that it has anything to do with me. Could I have received ANOTHER defective board from Asus? I just think it is highly unlikely that that is the case. What am I missing?

I spoke to Asus tech support again this morning and they were dumbfounded. The only thing that the tech could do was make another case and refer me to the RMA department. At the end of the call she told me that I should make sure the stepping is exactly the same on both Opteron 6128's. I bought these processors from newegg at the same time. I highly doubt that they are different stepping but when I get home after work I will check. Do you think that is my issue? Could a different stepping for these Opteron's even cause something like that? This is my first dual processor board so even though I am confident in my building ability, I wanted to see if any of you with experience with this config have any ideas or suggestions.

So far though I have ANOTHER board that was shipped ground that is still in the process of shipping to my house and will be here Friday. I guess I will find out if it is the board or not because if all 3 have the same issue then I can most assuredly say that there is some other factor I am totally missing. the only other factors are:

1. Power - Right now I have my computer up and running 4 VM's using about 20G of memory, with 6 SATA hard drives, 5 120mm fans, 2 80mm fans, and a DVD drive. With that said, could the power supply still be the issue? Do I need some sort of specification I am missing?

2. RAM - Couldn't possibly be the issue because without ANY ram installed, I should at LEAST get the "no ram" post beeps like I do when only 1 proc is installed

3. Processors - Couldn't possibly be the functionality since each processor is able to run my 4 VM's in 1 socket with no issues whatsoever. Only thing I have not checked is the stepping, what do you think?

4. Motherboard - Even though this is the second motherboard, this is really the only thing I would assume it is. Am I crazy to think that? I get a 3rd one on Friday so I guess I will know for sure

Thanks in advance to anyone who evern read through this long ass post, and special thanks to anyone who even attempts to give me any ideas.

That does sound strange. The only thing I can think of is maybe the dual 8-pin connections.

The EA750w only has one 8-pin, and that board looks like it needs two. So, are you just not connecting anything in the second one, or are you using a splitter cable to get dual 8-pins out of that one cable?

I guess great minds think alike. I just got back from frys with another 8 pin splitter. I currently have a 8 pin from molex converter but it is real cheapand one of the pins popped out. I popped it in with no issue but seeing that that adapter is a constant variable in my entire troubleshooting.. and it only cost 5$ to replace.. I might as well replace it. It would seem weird though that using the curent 8 in from molex converter would allow the computer to boot with one cpu and run rock solid if it was the culprit.

I had a similar situation with a 4p Supermicro motherboard (and it has 3 8-pin connectors). As soon as I unplugged the Fry's adapter, the whole rig started working. Do yourself a favor and get a 2-8 pin power supply.

I had a similar situation with a 4p Supermicro motherboard (and it has 3 8-pin connectors). As soon as I unplugged the Fry's adapter, the whole rig started working. Do yourself a favor and get a 2-8 pin power supply.

oh man.. I wish. just bought the 750W last week before I started the build though... So you are saying that you had the exact same issue? No post? Just fans spinning up? And you unpluged the adapter? Did you unplug it an replace it with a power supply that had multiple 8-pin connectors?

And when you're done we demand pics! ;)

Fo sho. You will either get a pic of a bad ass server doing bad ass things.. or you will see a picture that looks like this:

drivesavers-burned-desktop.jpg

ok.. I also want to clarify something and see what you think.

With the current adapter (molex to 8-pin), it appears to be providing perfect power for a 1 CPU configuration. Could it be fine for 1 CPU but not be fine for 2 CPU's? I would assume if it was broken then it wouldn't even power on the 1 CPU socket..

You did try running both of the CPUs in a one-CPU setup right? Bad CPUs are rare but you never know. Also I have bought power supplies which specifically have dual 8 pin motherboard connectors for the reason running two off of one seems like it may give problems. Even if the two connectors are connected inside it has two so it was designed to run with them both.

ok.. I also want to clarify something and see what you think.

Could it be fine for 1 CPU but not be fine for 2 CPU's?

Yes, I think there is a second or two in the BIOS startup when both processors go to full power or spike. Your probably not getting enough voltage out of that powersupply.

Do yourself a favor and stop before you damage that board.

according to this...
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=163

Your power supply has 4 12volt rails at 25amps (300watts) the 8 pin is comming off 12V rail 2

so your pulling all the power off a 168Watt rail (you can get 672watts off all 4 rails)

Try to get a 6 pin to 8 pin if they have such a thing.and pull off two different rails

why not put a jumper on your backup psu and run the 8 pin from that into the second 8 pin on the motherboard

750 psu - one 8 pin and one 24 pin
550 psu - one 8 pin

see if that works

Well son of a bitch.. it was the adapter..

I made sure my processors were of the same stepping and then replaced the adapter with the one I just purchased from Fry's. Booted up quickly with no issues. I knew if I came on the hardforum someone would either know or jog my memory. Thanks to everyone involved, and here are some pics

28bcl0k.jpg

2nvhah.jpg

rk2zp3.jpg

idgbvr.jpg

28ku4vr.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, in regards to people recommending to get the second 8 pin off the 12v rail, does everyone agree with this? Is this necessary concidering my power supply and my compnenets? Here is a list of everything:

Asus KGPE-D16
2x Opteron 6128 8-core
32GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR1600
1 IDE DVDRW drive
Antec Earthwatts 750
5x 120mm fans
2x 80mm fans
4x 92mm fans on 2 heatsinks for procs

So if you do recommend that I find a way to get the 8 pin off the same rail, would this work?

30tl3jk.jpg

The red plug appears to be fore a PCI-e... or possibly looks like it would be good for a 8 pin 12v.. what do you think? I'm sure I can find the adapter from antec that fits that.

for tons of things...hehehe

Domain controller
File server (WDS, WSUS, SCCM 2007, Print services, IIS)
Backup server (symantec Backup Exec, syncback Pro for mirror copies to my second server at my parent's house on a 35/35Mb connection which I run nightly jobs to)
Game server: Currently only running a minecraft world

It has about 8TB of internal storage, but I also have a HP proliant w/ a storage works array of 14 146GB 15K drives, 6 300GB 10K drives, all connected via SCSI which I am running them both through openfiler with my servers running from the array (Teamed Intel Gig nic's, as well as Teamed Gig nic's on the server I just built)

My server #2 is a Simple Q6600 with another 8TB of storage.. nothing fancy, just a secondary domain controller, Backup Exec, and a file server.

The red PCI-E socket on your PSU will not work as a 8pin motherboard connector. Unless antec has a special adopter that will convert that in to the 8pin motherboard connector.

8pin PCI-E cables are:
YYYB
BBBB

8pin motherboard cable:
YYYY
BBBB

Y for yellow(12V)
B for black (ground)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The red PCI-E socket on your PSU will not work as a 8pin motherboard connector. Unless antec has a special adopter that will convert that in to the 8pin motherboard connector.

8pin PCI-E cables are:
YYYB
BBBB

8pin motherboard cable:
YYYY
BBBB

Y for yellow(12V)
B for black (ground)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Almost there - it should be (* = lock, looking @socket in motherboard/card):
8pin PCI-E cables are:
YYYB
BBBB
8pin motherboard cable:
BBBB
YYYY

With that psu, splitting cpu's on two different rails is recommended.
I've used Akasa AK-CB051 PCIe to ATX 12 adapters with non-server psu and 2p mobos as short-time solution - without problem.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0027FFRQI
Unfortunetly, cannot find it in US amazon.

Second option (probably better) - mod existing pcie cable, or even do it from scratch.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Almost there - it should be (* = lock, looking @socket in motherboard/card):
8pin PCI-E cables are:
YYYB
BBBB
8pin motherboard cable:
BBBB
YYYY

With that psu, splitting cpu's on two different rails is recommended.
I've used Akasa AK-CB051 PCIe to ATX 12 adapters with non-server psu and 2p mobos as short-time solution - without problem.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0027FFRQI
Unfortunetly, cannot find it in US amazon.

Second option (probably better) - mod existing pcie cable, or even do it from scratch.

Hear you go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812706006

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey Hexed, I'm currently experiencing the same problem you were having and I'm glad your system is up and fully operational. I've ordered the 6 to 8 pin cable from Fry's as you did and hopefully that will solve my problem as well. However I was hoping you could clarify something in one of your statement:

"I made sure my processors were of the same stepping..."

Can you clarify what the "same stepping" means?? I'm a little lost on that one ??

Hey Hexed, I'm currently experiencing the same problem you were having and I'm glad your system is up and fully operational. I've ordered the 6 to 8 pin cable from Fry's as you did and hopefully that will solve my problem as well. However I was hoping you could clarify something in one of your statement:

"I made sure my processors were of the same stepping..."

Can you clarify what the "same stepping" means?? I'm a little lost on that one ??

Processors with the same model # might have a different stepping (revision basically) code. The general rule of thumb is that it's preferred to run the same stepping coded processors to avoid any compatibility issues that might crop up from different steppings.

Back