• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X2 After Market Coolers?

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
1,039
My beloved, yet aging 7800GTX isn't keeping up with current games, or even some older games like HL2 as much as I'd like. I'm most likely going to upgrade to a 4870x2 in the future when I get the funds. It'd be my first ATI purchase for myself.

I'd really like to keep that investment running well for as long as possible and wanted to add an after market cooler to it, but then I got to thinkin that it's probably difficult to add an after market cooler to any X2 type product. I haven't found any x2 coolers, or any threads on that sort of thing. Do they exist? If not, I'm probably just going to get a nice 120mm fan for my currently empty case window slot near my video card.

EDIT: Also, is a 550W PSU good enough for the 4870x2?
 
550w is really low for this card but it would also depend on the rest of your system.

Does your 550w even have enough connectors for a 6pin and 8 pin PCI connector (with adapters).
 
I'm at work, but according to the coolermaster site, it's only got two 6-pin pcie connectors. I'm assuming the 8pin CPU connector is not compatible, right? Crap....
 
I'm at work, but according to the coolermaster site, it's only got two 6-pin pcie connectors. I'm assuming the 8pin CPU connector is not compatible, right? Crap....

no it is not, some of the 4870x2's distributors may offer a 8pin adapter...but you may want to upgrade that PSU while you are @ it
 
My beloved, yet aging 7800GTX isn't keeping up with current games, or even some older games like HL2 as much as I'd like. I'm most likely going to upgrade to a 4870x2 in the future when I get the funds. It'd be my first ATI purchase for myself.

I'd really like to keep that investment running well for as long as possible and wanted to add an after market cooler to it, but then I got to thinkin that it's probably difficult to add an after market cooler to any X2 type product. I haven't found any x2 coolers, or any threads on that sort of thing. Do they exist? If not, I'm probably just going to get a nice 120mm fan for my currently empty case window slot near my video card.

EDIT: Also, is a 550W PSU good enough for the 4870x2?

A quality 550w PSU should be just fine. It obviously depends how much crap is hooked to it. If you also have 14 hard drives and 2 watercooling loops with a QX9999 @5ghz it wont be sufficient.
 
I'm at work, but according to the coolermaster site, it's only got two 6-pin pcie connectors. I'm assuming the 8pin CPU connector is not compatible, right? Crap....
Maybe things have changed, but if I recall correctly, coolermaster doesn't produce a quality power supply. I would recommend upgrading it as well. It would suck to get an X2 in there and then blow out half your PC because your PSU "went out with a bang."
 
In all honesty I wouldn't even think about upgrading to a 4870x2 unless I had a really nice 650W+ PSU.
 
I'm at work, but according to the coolermaster site, it's only got two 6-pin pcie connectors. I'm assuming the 8pin CPU connector is not compatible, right? Crap....


My Sapphire 4870X2 came with a molex -> 8-pin adaptor.
So it wasn't an issue really. So you might want to check.

My Silverstone didn't have a second 8-pin output either, and from the looks of it very few PSU's do.
 
Grab a 620HX from corsair to go with the 4870x2. You could probably survive just fine on a 520HX as well, but you'd be loading it pretty hard.


I don't think I've seen any aftermarket coolers yet for the 4870x2.
 
There's water blocks for the X2, but that's it for now.
ASUS and PowerColor came out with custom coolers for the HD 3870X2, so I suppose it's only a matter of time.
 
Back
Top