• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X2 4800+ stock HSF = IMPRESSIVE!

c1001

Gawd
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Messages
943
Who else likes the stock AMD HSF on their X2?

I have worked under the assumption that the first thing to get swapped out in a new build is the stock HSF. The grating whine of the stock fans create instant annoyance. When I got my X2 4800+ I went out and bought a Big Typhoon and an Si-120. A month later both are still in their boxes.

The stock HSF cools well and is pretty darn quiet. With CoolNQuiet enabled, it spins quietly along. Well done AMD! I am in no hurry to swap it out.

There was a link on AnandTech that gave a thumbs up to the stock HSF:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dcopteroncooling&page=3
 
Yes, I like it. Good build quality for a freebee cooler and very quiet. Much better than the standard Intel turbines.
 
Yes, it is surprisingly good... I'd only exchange it out if I wanted something quieter or more aesthetically pleasing.
 
Elysian said:
i just wonder how itd do on my 3000+ venice hehe
it should do pretty well considering that the stock A64 heatsinks do a decent job already ;)
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My x2 4200 came with a pretty regular looking aluminum heatsink. No heatpipes or copper plugs or anything fancy, but it is REAL quiet and my CPU idles at 30C at stock settings. After 2 hours of Quake4 my cpu shot all the way up to 38C. hahaha pretty cool!

So yeah, I am happy with the stock HSF.
 
xappie said:
My x2 4200 came with a pretty regular looking aluminum heatsink. No heatpipes or copper plugs or anything fancy, but it is REAL quiet and my CPU idles at 30C at stock settings. After 2 hours of Quake4 my cpu shot all the way up to 38C. hahaha pretty cool!

So yeah, I am happy with the stock HSF.
i've got my x2 3800+ hsf sitting on my desk right now, and it looks like a much nicer design than the one that came with my venice 3000+
 
c1001 said:
Who else likes the stock AMD HSF on their X2?

I have worked under the assumption that the first thing to get swapped out in a new build is the stock HSF. The grating whine of the stock fans create instant annoyance. When I got my X2 4800+ I went out and bought a Big Typhoon and an Si-120. A month later both are still in their boxes.

The stock HSF cools well and is pretty darn quiet. With CoolNQuiet enabled, it spins quietly along. Well done AMD! I am in no hurry to swap it out.

There was a link on AnandTech that gave a thumbs up to the stock HSF:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dcopteroncooling&page=3

thats pretty impressive, stock cooling better then the 7700 and almost as good as the 9500 :eek: thanks for the good reading.
 
all of my stock amd64 coolers have worked very well
in fact the one for my older 754-3700 worked better than the arctic cool 64 i put on it.
 
Elysian said:
i've got my x2 3800+ hsf sitting on my desk right now, and it looks like a much nicer design than the one that came with my venice 3000+

thats weird the x2 3800+ comes with the crappy aluminum heatsink, the same as the venice would come with

only the new opterons and the 4400+ and aboves come with the new heatpipe cooler

your confused....
 
aldy402 said:
thats weird the x2 3800+ comes with the crappy aluminum heatsink, the same as the venice would come with

only the new opterons and the 4400+ and aboves come with the new heatpipe cooler

your confused....

That is also the FX coolers!! since the FX-55 :D
 
Yep, I bought a heatsink from another forum user's X2, and it was the same basic aluminum block as my Newcastle 3400 came with.
 
aldy402 said:
I will also stand by the heatpipe stock cooler, I got one from a friend when he upgraded to a xp-90 from his opteron. It dropped my temps by 5-6 degrees and was much quieter. I used it on my old s754 3000+ newcastle

if you guys want 1, its 20 shipped here - well worth it for the price
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-ORIGINAL-CP...ryZ80139QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$20 is a steal! I just bought one. I dumped my h20 stuff a while back, and I'm using the stock hsf for my 2800+....it's a POS.

My 4400+ hsf at work really surprised me when it came. Very high quality....can't wait to get mine from ebay and slap it on my 754 2800+ newcastle. It's only running at 2.2ghz comfortably at 1.3v with the stock cooler. With water, it did 2.4 @ 1.45. Maybe the x2 hsf will allow it to hit 2.4 again :D
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Got the heatpipe one with my 4400+ and it cools really nice. I was pretty shocked. Idles at 29C, doesnt even reach 40C after a few hours of gaming.
 
aldy402 said:
thats weird the x2 3800+ comes with the crappy aluminum heatsink, the same as the venice would come with

only the new opterons and the 4400+ and aboves come with the new heatpipe cooler

your confused....
i never said it was a heat pipe cooler, i said it was a better design than a venice, since someone mentioned the non heatpipe cooler in this thread... way to put words where they weren't to begin with. you're confused.
 
aldy402 said:
thats weird the x2 3800+ comes with the crappy aluminum heatsink, the same as the venice would come with

only the new opterons and the 4400+ and aboves come with the new heatpipe cooler

your confused....


My Opteron 146 came with a crappy aluminum heatsink.
 
Back
Top