x2 4600+ increased windows load time?

Rothius

Limp Gawd
I recently got a 4600+ which is clocked at 2.8, i use to have a 3700+ clocked at 2.7ghz and since ive switched the loading time at the logo has gone up to 10 full bar loads. Ive done all the fixes at http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781 and they made the games work fine , the cpu gets 2106 in 3dmark 06. And bootini has the /usepmtimer .

Doesnt take me nearly that long to load and I have an X2 3800. Something is definitely wrong. Is your system actually identifying both cores?

I have the same processor. Similarly I went from a 3800+ to a 4600+, load time is slightly quicker. So there must be something wrong with your set-up. Do you have the latest BIOS for your mobo? Other than that I'd recommend a reinstall of Windows that's what I did to get it working as it should

Yes both cores are detected and used in apps / games its just the boot time :(.

Would a repair work? coz im not gonna reinstall windows just to fix my boot time lol.. id need to reinstall half my programs with it.

unplug any usb devices or extra things plugged into your system. One of your devices could be causing a slow initilization time during the os loading process. Then plug in one at a time to see which one is causing the slow load.

other than that, get all your windows updates and see if there is any hotfixes for a slow boot. I know there was one for the 30sec welcome screen load time a while back before SP2.

do a defrag, anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc as well to make sure everything is running properly.

I dont have anything extra plugged in , i went to do a defrag and it said i didnt need to do one.

Dont pay attention to if it tells you that you need it or not. Look at how much red is there after you analyze the drive. If a goodamount is there, defrag it. Hell, just defrag it anyway.

also scan disk for how your situation with the sectors is , and the main one is defrag the hardrive , you will automatically see the differnce.

People dont realise this but the registry plays a great part in booting up windows , all files have to be checked that they are there and are perfectly stated where and why they are there.

Tune up utilies is a good program, and the funny thing is that when your installin software you would think that the registry would be perfect when you have done a fresh install but the truth is it is not , it is to do with sectors and clusters within the Harddrive and the registry built within regards of how the hardrive is and the filing system.

Always defrag after a fresh install and update your registry , try it and you will be surprised.

The speed has only changed when i changed the cpus over today , i really dont think its using both cores at the orignal load screen with that blue loading bar. Once it gets into windows its fine tho.

I had trouble with a long boot a while ago and determined it to be a problem with the mouse drivers, so it could definitely be something with your peripherals.

One thing that increases my boot time massively is having my ipod connected to the USB port.

If you switched from a single core to a dual core processor I would reinstall windows.

Addicted said:
I had trouble with a long boot a while ago and determined it to be a problem with the mouse drivers, so it could definitely be something with your peripherals.
You know something , they are such golden few words you have said, i can remember i had a problem with my system and checked it in scan and nothing wrong , come back home and its not working again, a few times this happened and figured finally it was the keyboard and mouse.

I remember that everytime somehing happens.

Even my old fully installed XP with a good 4 months on it only takes a half of a bar to load windows with my X2. Yeah somethings seriously wrong. Maybe its the hard drive? 10 bars is some seriously corrupt or fragged system or something... but I use a USB keyboard and mouse so nothing like that would prob effect my os.

What about the settings of the hardrive in the BIOS, i have been reading a lot on the BIOS and the way you can tweak PC and make them more effecient in running and gain performance in day to day use.

Check lost circuits website and BIOS settings.

Also Scan disk if i havent said this before.

Keeping your registry makes alot of difference . Everytime your pc starts it needs to refer to the registry and locate and place everything for the user which is logged on, now as you know , files daily get changed a lot and this is where something so simple becomes the reason for your PC going slow. If the files are in place it will take about 15-30 to shutdown with total cut off current. If its bad i have seen pc's which take 5minutes cos the registry is in great muddles, this from there is here and that thing there.

Very important.

Anyways i wish i could tweak the BIOS for you but i am sorry you will have to read up on it but i promise you will be a haapy man.

Also the usb andkeyboard and mouse can it self cause a lot of problems if not installed properly. I have gone before to repair my pc twice and come back home with no problem and when i try it it didnt work , guess what it was , the bios and the installation just didnt like the configurations of the keyboard and mouse.

PS/2 port is best when trouble shooting, i keep one around just for that.

When you make any significant changes in your computer hardware setup you really should re-install Windows. You don't have to wipe out all of your programs. Just start the install from your original XP CD. It will find your present XP installation on your hard drive and will install XP over top of your present install without screwing up everything that you presently have. You might also have to re-install the SP1 or SP2 service packs when you're done and go to Windows update for any of the recent updates.

Make sure you have a real Microsoft XP CD. Some manufacturers like eMachines give you a disc that will return your computer to factory specs but will wipe out everything in the process.

The boot time of Windows is not linear. Dual cores or even a 50% faster processor will not translate into a huge difference in boot up times. I just put a couple of drives in RAID 0 with hard drive transfer speed up from 60 MB/s to 120 MB/s and it barely made any difference in boot up time.

Have you tried running bootvis? It's a Microsoft tool that can be used to optimize your boot up process and can help find any driver issues and show you what's taking so long.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

Every time I've reinstalled or repaired windows over a previous install my registry is wiped and all of my shortcuts, start menu, and the like are gone. How is that avoided?

Once after a minor upgrade, windows made another boot sector for me. Wich slowed boot up consirderably. Check the boot.ini file by running msconfig. Good Luck!

Did you install the Nforce4 IDE SW driver after the upgrade? I know 1st hand that it slows down your boot time! ;)

Also make sure there's no CD/DVD disks in your drives. This will cause boot time to go up as the system attempts to read the drives before a windows boot.

Ive just reinstalled again and having the same problem lol yeah i did uninstall the IDE just then but it hasnt helped much , any other ideas?

-update set prefetch for apps only and not boot and its gone form 7 bars to 2.5 :D.

Sorry to double post but ive got my load time down to 2.5 now but if i restart the computer twice it wont load into windows.

Example

Power on
go into windows
restart
loads into windows
restart again
gets stuck at boot the blue bars just keep going
power off
power on
windows says it was unable to start right bla bla then it works fine

ive ran sfc /scannow and it had no errors , i just recently got the newest chipset drivers could this cause it?

-fixed- fixed it by disabling ncq in nforce sata controller.

Back