x2 3800 load temps

I've been running orthos for about half an hour on my toledo x2 3800 to see how hot it gets under load. the hottest core is around 56-58c using core temp. I bought it with a cnps7700-alcu hsf thinking the thing was such a beast, it had to do at least an adequate job of cooling.

I was hoping to overclock the chip when I get a new motherboard (my current one is dying), but with load temps like this, I dont know. are these temps normal?

I've been running orthos for about half an hour on my toledo x2 3800 to see how hot it gets under load. the hottest core is around 56-58c using core temp. I bought it with a cnps7700-alcu hsf thinking the thing was such a beast, it had to do at least an adequate job of cooling.

I was hoping to overclock the chip when I get a new motherboard (my current one is dying), but with load temps like this, I dont know. are these temps normal?

If those temps are at stock settings at full load, then something is off on the cooling. Perhaps you need to reinspect your HSF installation? (Those temperatures are a little bit hotter than my Opteron 170 cooled with a Thermalright Ultra 120 on full load, just to give you an idea.)

I've reseated it once already, and got the temps down to what they are now. It seems to be on there snugly and doesn't move. I noticed when I take the Side panel off, The load temp lowers to ~52c. Still rather high for my taste. Can a power supply fan interrupt the airflow from a cpu fan? I ask because my psu has a 120mm fan that sits right above the cpu fan. I cant turn that off. I also have a 90mm (i think) fan to the left of it that blows air out. could these contribute to the high heat?

that seems awful high for a stock setting - not dangerous or anything, but high.

have you checked your bios settings? could there be a legacy vcore setting that's above spec? did it default to a higher than spec'd vcore?

zv

Core temp said vcore was set to 1.35, but I went into the bios anyway and lowered vcore to 1.3, and now its hovering at ~55c

it's fine temps.. except it's not what I expect from your aftermarket cooler..

have you tried using a good thermal paste like MX-1 or arctic ceramique?

better paste will only yield a couple degs C.

my x2 4800 idles at 38, loads at 45 with a Arctic Cooling Freezer64Pro. I also have a similar Zalman on my HTPC - 3200+, which is even cooler (in a far more constrained case)

I'm still positioned that those temps are a bit high, and I'm not sure I'd blame the cooler (as my cpns7000 alcu does a good job - albeit on a cooler chip)

if it booted on lower vcore, I'd say go a little lower and see what happens - and prime95 it to see if it's stable. also, i know you already reseated it once, but unless you're absolutely certain it's fine, it might be worth one more try.

what's the story with case cooling / temps? maybe the solution is with exchanging the hot air out of the box?

Have you considered that it may be the motherboard that is giving you such high temps?
My current mother board(Albatron K8SLI) says that my processor is running at 60c. It did this when I had a 3200 winchester, a 148 opteron, and now a 3800x2. All three times this board has done this with the system on water cooling.
I thought that it was caused due to how the thermal paste was applied on the 3200, to the point that I even took the IHS off and got the same results.

I've got arctic silver 5 on it, and my temps for the 3200 I was running previously were ~32c idle and 45c load. With a stock hsf.

I measured the internal case temp though, and its at 36c. Room temp is ~28c. Maybe it is airflow.

For case fans, I have 1 90mm as an exhaust, 1 90mm as an intake, plus the psu fan. I also have a 120mm fan blowing onto the graphics card because the fan broke. The intake fan is on the bottom front, but I could move it to the side panel right above the cpu. Would that help with airflow?

[H]arrod;1031022934 said:
Have you considered that it may be the motherboard that is giving you such high temps?

I'm starting to think this might be the issue to, particularly given the reduced Vcore lowered temps, and still booted fine.

I noticed when I take the Side panel off, The load temp lowers to ~52c. Still rather high for my taste.

That is your problem right there. If you have lower temps with the side off, you have issues. This means you have piss poor airflow in your case. No matter how many times you reseat the CPU, and slap AC 5 on it, the temps will not change.

What case are you using? You may have to invest in a new case. That would be my recomendation. Your CPU fan is unable do draw cool air over the heatsink because warm air is remaining in your case.

In my case (in the sig below) I have 3 fans for exhaust and 1 for intake. It is good to try to create a vacum (more or less) in your case. The negative preasure will draw more fresh air into the case (along with the intake fan). I can put my hand in fron of my case and feel air being drawn across my hand (thats a good sign).

I would bet that this is your problem. I think most people would agree with me, as the quote above is the key.

Your options would be to invest in newer higher rpm/cfm fans. If this does not work get a new case. Please post what kind of case you are using for a better recommendation. That would help lots. :D

That is your problem right there. If you have lower temps with the side off, you have issues. This means you have piss poor airflow in your case. No matter how many times you reseat the CPU, and slap AC 5 on it, the temps will not change.

I'm not sure I agree there...

Idle, he should be in the high 30s with the case open. the fact that he's only getting low 50s without the door on is the issue.

Well, I've been moving a 120mm around in there to see how well it will move the air in different locations. Right now I've got it in the 5 1/4" bays, sitting on top of my dvd writer, blowing inwards. This alleviated a heat pocket at the top of the case, but created one in the lower part. The temps are now around 53-54 under load. If it's better to have a vacuum inside the case, should I have all the air exit through the back, or can it go both ways? (front and back)

I have no Idea what make my case is. All I've got to go by is a serial number in the back, and I havn't been able to find the manufacturer. If any of you think you can find out, the serial number is 031100500. I might as well describe it though. Its a Mid tower, with 4 external 5 1/4 bays, 2 external 3 1/2 bays, and 4 internal 3 1/2 bays. its about 8" wide, and has room for about 3 fans. 1 in upper back, 1 in lower front, and one on the side panel, paralell with the cpu. In the upper back, I can only fit a 90mm fan. In the lower front I can put a 120mm fan, with some minor modifications.

With the side panel, I can either put a fan there, or a duct that feeds air straight to the cpu fan. Which, do you think, would be better? The duct is just a little smaller than The cpu fan.

Also, about the vcore, I had to up it to 1.325 because it was unstable while running orthos at 1.3. So I'm not sure its the motherboard, especially when Idle is in the mid 30's. its just the load temp thats high. Just out of curiosity, though, how would I check the actual voltage going to the cpu?

BTW, thanks for all the help so far! I appreciate it.

Back