• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

x2 3800 hitting a brick wall

wadec22

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
4,030
Hey guys,

Got my x2 today. Been playing with oc for a couple hours. Need some help. Max stable so far is 2.3ghz :( Wondering if this could have something to do with cool n quiet? I disabled it in bios, but I recall someone mentioning it being related to the proc driver in Windows. I'm running xp pro w/sp2, which installed the acpi multiprocessor driver on its own when I first booted up with new proc. Driver date is 7/1/2001: ver 5.1.2600.0. Here is what I have going on so far, signature is stable. Proc is week 33 of this year....

Seems stable up to 2.2 on stock volts.
Sig is stable.
2.4 @ 1.4v = crash
2.4 @ 1.424v = crash
2.4 @ 1.456 = crash
2.4 @ 1.488v = crash
2.4 @ 1.504v = crash

Those volt readings are per cpu-z, dfi bios actually reads 1.4v up to 1.55v on that last one there, so I'm not sure if I want to continue increasing voltage. Weird thing is, its not erroring in Prime95, it simply runs (two instances, one per core as I assigned affinity) for a couple minutes then the whole damn system actually shuts down. Thoughts anyone?
 
did you put your RAM on a divider like 333 or 200? and did you lower your HT link to 4x for a FSB <250 and 3x for a FSB >250?
 
KaptainBlaZzed said:
did you put your RAM on a divider like 333 or 200? and did you lower your HT link to 4x for a FSB <250 and 3x for a FSB >250?

Sorry forgot to include.... yes HTT link is @ 4x.... memory I had at 150divider just to be safe.
 
now i'm almost positive it has something to do with cool n quiet. after running prime95 for a more extended period of time, even the speeds in my sig are shutting down. again, not prime95 erroring, simply shutting completely off! checked bios, the option to shut down when you reach certain temps is disabled. i believe when the proc is hitting a certain temp, something is shutting it off. anyone have any ideas?
 
No one seriously has any advice? I KNOW its not the chip, or errors would be popping up in Prime95, not system shut downs.
 
What's your power supply, I didn't notice it in your sig? You may also need to try a few different bios versions.
 
psu?

hmm its weird that your pc shuts down
its definetly not the mobo
it should error in p95
i think its one of your components

its either the psu
or try changing to sata port 3 and keep 1,2 clear
make sure your chipset voltage is at default and not overboard
monitor your temps
 
temps are crazy low.... no sata being used.... power supply is pc power and cooling 510 sli deluxe (that has powered both and opty 146 @ 2.7 and a 3200 Winnie @ 2.6).... chipset voltage is default... man, think i'm gonna check out dfi street.... what about cpu thermal throttling setting? (mine is @ 50%) should i go higher? what is acpi function? that is enable right now... disable?
 
drop the htt link to 2x-3x and then try
if that doesnt work, yo might have just be unlucky
 
i remember seeing the x2 driver posted somewhere that disables the cool and quiet in another thread... try searching maybe you'll come up with it. it was a recent thread too
 
woohoo!!! shut off thermal throttling all-together and change windows power management scheme to "minimal power management" and we have a much different ball-game. :) I will post when I have better idea.
 
Back
Top