X1950XTX performance in WoW

Nexus6

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I recently upgraded / sidegraded from a EVGA 7900GT KO 256 to an ATI X1950XTX. I primarily play WoW. I have an E6600 running at 2.88GHz and 2GB of midrange corsair PC6400 ram.

The video quality is very nice, however, I cannot seem to find a setting with AA and Ansio enabled that give me the same performance that I got on the 7900GT. With the Nvidia card I was doing 2xAA with TMAA and 16xAF. I was pulling in a VERY consistant 60fps with this setup at 1920x1200. Like rock solid 60FPS unless I was in an AoE heavy raid situation.

With the Radeon I can't really seem to find a setting that gives me a consistant frame rate. I've tried 2xAA, 4xAA, 6xAA. Funny thing is that all seem to have a similar performance impact on the framerate, regardless of the AA level. I've tried 8x AF and 16x AF, with high quality AF enabled and disabled (I noticed a performance hit with it enabled, and didn't notice much in the way of visual quality upgrade, so I leave it off).

Unlike with the 7900GT, when panning around a scene with the X1950XTX I get stuttering sometimes and the framerate goes into the toilet (28-31fps). Additionally, there are times when I can be looking at 276° and get 51fps and turn to 278° or 274° and get 60fps solid. Trees and outdoor areas seem to be the largest performance hit for some reason, but I have adaptive AA disabled so I don't understand why.

I'm currently running at 1920x1200 at 2xAA 8xAF and I'm a little dissappointed that I'm not getting the same performance I did out of the 7900GT for a card that costs quite a bit more. I am wondering if there is something I am doing wrong in the video settings, but I've been playing with every possible combination I can think of. I feel as if I'm unable to reproduce the performance seen in http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTE0NCw5LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

I was wondering if anyone had noticed any performance degredation with the X1950XTX in WoW, or if I was missing some easy win setting that's dragging my framerate down. I realize I'm probably pushing it a little by running AA and AF at 1920x1200 but what I was able to do on the 7900GT KO I feel I cannot on the X1950XTX, which confuses me.

So uh, yeah, any help?

Most of the time if you had an Nvidia card, and then put in an ATI card, games will have problems. Have you used Driver Cleaner to completely wipe out the Nv drivers so it doesn't contradict with ATI's?

FORMAT ;) Im telling you that will make a difference.

Had the same problem when going from 6800GT to X800XL, formatted and everything was normal.

Thanks,

Loaded driver cleaner, nuked everything (nvidia, ati), reinstalled CAT 6.9, 60fps rock solid at 4xAA and 16xAF.

newls1 said:
FORMAT ;) Im telling you that will make a difference.

No. This is bad advice. Run driver cleaner, clean the registry manually if you have to, but don't format for something like this.

I've switched between ATi and nVidia plenty of times without even cleaning up the drivers very well, and I still benched the same as everyone else. I seen problems from doing this type of thing too, which is why I just run driver cleaner and get on with life.

I reformat when I really have to and when I can't find a solution to my problem and that is the last resort and my only available option.

Dan_D said:
No. This is bad advice. Run driver cleaner, clean the registry manually if you have to, but don't format for something like this.

I've switched between ATi and nVidia plenty of times without even cleaning up the drivers very well, and I still benched the same as everyone else. I seen problems from doing this type of thing too, which is why I just run driver cleaner and get on with life.

I reformat when I really have to and when I can't find a solution to my problem and that is the last resort and my only available option.

Well i did driver cleaner i did reg cleaner and i still had issues ..so i formatted and it worked . Dont tell people Formatting is a bad idea cause it isn't ..its the nature of windows.

I agree. Not to mention a format gets rid of God knows what else that made its way onto your rig over the months.

Format is your friend. I can usually back up everything I need within an hour, reinstall in about 25 minutes (nlite is your friend too), install drivers and essential programs in another 30 and then go from there, installing programs as I need them. Anytime I change hardware, minus just another harddrive, I reformat.

well - ok, granted format is often the way to solve your problems, but you don't have to launch on that solution right off the bat.. you should always try a driver cleaner and you can also grab a copy of RegSupreme Pro (a very nice registry tool - used to be called "regcleaner") to clean out all the invalid left over keys and links.. is that doesn't work, then it might be time for some formatting.. but really, changing out a video card should not necessitate a full format and re-install.. there are fairly easy ways to get those drivers fully cleaned out without a full wipe and start-over. that's a little over the top to me.. :)

Yep, indeed.
I find that people who are not good at keeping junk off their computer, not mindful of the utilities and crap they install, nor who use decent antivirus and antispyware programs, and overall, inexperienced tweakers, usually are the ones who are the ones formatting.

The more experienced users don't have to format to fix any little problem that occurs. But sometimes, you can mess things up so bad that the only solution is to format. But it's VERY bad to go around telling everyone to format.

Not to mention, not everyone keeps windows on a separate partition.

I haven't formatted a system drive (that I owned) since 1999. I *have* had to reinstall windows (98se) once, but I skillfully avoided formatting just by nuking the windows folder and the hidden registry files :) I guess that's the "same" as a format, but without me needing to reinstall everything I had on the drive.

Heck--I was even able to recover from a totally corrupt registry (so corrupt I couldn't even boot up in safe mode), after a bad RAM overclock. http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658 is your friend.

Whats Nlite? I reformat all the time and I wish the reinstall would go faster.
i dont know how to slipstream CDs though.

Back